Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 2, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #4,501 of 9,635
2CEE7B56-C5BA-4E12-9982-1C62A2311B99.jpeg

Became reminded of the MDR-Z1R predecessor the MDR-Z7...........so I set up the above listening combination today. I have to say getting the Z7 on open box closeout at Sony was the real deal at $360. If anyone wanted just a complementary listening experience to the Z1R the Z7 does not disappoint in any way. I can’t get over how well the Z7 is able to scale up and up sounding way different when running in single ended from the Schiit Asgard One with supplied cable. Getting the Z7 the TA amp and Kimber cable simply takes the Z7 to a world class experience even now all these years later. I can almost see the Sony big wigs and Sony engineers nodding their heads in approval way back in 2014. It’s a slightly more direct response yet with spectacular imaging and tone. Different gear actually starts to expand the soundstage and improve imaging with the Z7. In some ways the Z1R is easier to get results with, maybe?

May 2, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #4,502 of 9,635
2CEE7B56-C5BA-4E12-9982-1C62A2311B99.jpeg

Became reminded of the MDR-Z1R predecessor the MDR-Z7...........so I set up the above listening combination today. I have to say getting the Z7 on open box closeout at Sony was the real deal at $360. If anyone wanted just a complementary listening experience to the Z1R the Z7 does not disappoint in any way. I can’t get over how well the Z7 is able to scale up and up sounding way different when running in single ended from the Schiit Asgard One with supplied cable. Getting the Z7 the TA amp and Kimber cable simply takes the Z7 to a world class experience even now all these years later. I can almost see the Sony big wigs and Sony engineers nodding their heads in approval way back in 2014. It’s a slightly more direct response yet with spectacular imaging and tone. Different gear actually starts to expand the soundstage and improve imaging with the Z7. In some ways the Z1R is easier to get results with, maybe?

Interesting! The Z7 looks sleek. Have you tried the Mk 2 version? If so, how do they compare?

May 3, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #4,503 of 9,635
Interesting! The Z7 looks sleek. Have you tried the Mk 2 version? If so, how do they compare?

Have not heard both. And research will get you polarized opinion as normal. Probably my fascination came due to learning the original Z7 was handmade in Japan where the MK2...not. Still you have people that like the Z7 and people who feel the Z72 is a correction?

But getting the sound you get with a good upstream made the Z7 probably one of the best audio deals I’ve made? Actually after owning it, I’d say they are worth full retail?

Still a great question more pertinent to this thread is if it’s important to actually own a pair after owning the Z1R. That’s hard question as the Z1R is unarguably better. It’s just that the Z7 is a more distilled and a robust interpretation of the Sony house sound. It’s more condensed and pure. The Z1R ends more sophisticated. Maybe the Z7 is more classic....but I always ask my self if there is something missing with the Z7.......and I’m not sure if anything is left out? It’s less evolved.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #4,504 of 9,635
The XLR4 is also open. :)

The Arya is not a new purchase though as my budget has been exhausted by the TA & Z1R last month (actually I still have to submit my monthly allowance to the family budget for the next 3 months too) :) . This is a loaner from my local hifi dealer. The Arya (well, actually the he1000se) was my favorite headphone out of all the full-size headphones I auditioned over the past 2 years (which includes Utopia, Susvara, Empirian, LCD4, etc.), so I was curious to see how it would fair against the Z1R, when both are powered by the TA.

i thought the arya was more akin to the V2 than SE?

May 3, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #4,505 of 9,635
i thought the arya was more akin to the V2 than SE?
Could be. I think I listened to the v2 almost two years ago and don't remember the sound at all, just that I liked it. The SE I was able to listen to during the same session as the Arya.

Some of my other impressions are quite old as well (e.g. Susvara, Empirian) so I might feel differently about them now. I just remember I wasn't too excited about any of these super high-end over-ears. But then again, if you just put a headphone on and listen to it for 20 minutes, your impressions are going to be heavily influenced by the gear you have been using up to that point, since your brain has calibrated itself to make that gear sound "correct" (I was using the Andromeda S back then). I'm pretty sure that if I had tried the MDR that way, I would've quickly rejected it.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4,507 of 9,635
MDRZ1R.WW2

does the WW2 signify anything special or mean anything. the code above appears on my delivery notice. due tomorrow. purchased from richer sounds UK.

May 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,508 of 9,635
Means it is one of the units that was manufactured during World War II, it's new "old" stock.

May 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,509 of 9,635
A number of products have had that “WW2” at the end, even the IER-Z1R did online.

May 5, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #4,510 of 9,635
We have a comedian in our midst....:L3000::L3000:

out of interest...worldwide is there only 1 version of the mdr z1r or are there different variants with slightly different features and model numbers?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,512 of 9,635
We have a comedian in our midst....:L3000::L3000:

out of interest...worldwide is there only 1 version of the mdr z1r or are there different variants with slightly different features and model numbers?

I hope you took it the right way and that you'll enjoy your new set of cans in good health. :pray:

May 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,513 of 9,635
thankyou. a sense of humour is always mandatory.

May 6, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #4,514 of 9,635
could i just ask again is there only one version of the mdr z1r worldwide? just to add to my knowledge. so no different models depending on region etc.

May 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #4,515 of 9,635
could i just ask again is there only one version of the mdr z1r worldwide? just to add to my knowledge. so no different models depending on region etc.

I assume there is only one version as they are all produced in Japan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back