Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #4,487 of 9,635
having shortlisted the hifman arya, denon 9200 and the mdr z1r i went for the sony in the end. i'm very sensitive to fit and comfort finding very few totl cans which fit me well. i feel sony gives me the best chance comfort wise. i really hope it fits after all my 'research'. will be using with chord mscaler/tt2. impressions once they arrive in 7-10 days. fingers crossed. very good deal too.

May 1, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,488 of 9,635
having shortlisted the hifman arya, denon 9200 and the mdr z1r i went for the sony in the end. i'm very sensitive to fit and comfort finding very few totl cans which fit me well. i feel sony gives me the best chance comfort wise. i really hope it fits after all my 'research'. will be using with chord mscaler/tt2. impressions once they arrive in 7-10 days. fingers crossed. very good deal too.
Congrats on the purchase. The Z1R’s shine on Chord products.

May 1, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #4,489 of 9,635
is it normal to find alot of totl cans uncomfortable?

May 1, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4,490 of 9,635

I can't imagine you will have any problems with comfort but of course we all have different preferences and heads :) For me, the Z1R is like putting 2 pillows around my head, very comfortable and probably the most comfortable headphones I have owned.

When you get them give them a few weeks before you judge them, they need time and I not thinking about burn in. Listen to them for a few days, put them away for a few days and then listen to them again. They need time to really shine!

May 1, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #4,492 of 9,635
When you get them give them a few weeks before you judge them, they need time and I not thinking about burn in. Listen to them for a few days, put them away for a few days and then listen to them again. They need time to really shine!

Indeed. They changed on me, for the better, over a month or so. Or I adjusted to them, or whatever. I'm glad I've given them time to see what they can do. (For my tastes I still need to add some equalization though-- but when I do, I hit a sweet spot and they shine).

May 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #4,493 of 9,635
Sony hit the sweet spot with comfort, form and fashion with the Z1R's. There is not a headphone out that looks or sounds like them for that matter. For as big as they are, the Z1R's weigh nothing when put on. Their sound may take some getting use to because they are different. The Z1R's sound space is wide and has good depth, which is sort of unexpected for a closed headphone. I appreciate and enjoy their musical presentation as they are my main TOTL closed back headphone.

May 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #4,494 of 9,635
FD87F230-7483-44E5-BD08-55AFB25E5AED.jpeg

May 2, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #4,496 of 9,635
Not quite as artistic as @Redcarmoose, but more journalistic:

Made in China Vs Made in Japan

20200502_211811.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #4,498 of 9,635
Not quite as artistic as @Redcarmoose, but more journalistic:

Made in China Vs Made in Japan

Yes, though for us in the know, your photograph represents new acquisitions (thus extra special) and the magic they can introduce at times. The (new purchase) methodology to gaining a small extra percentage of improvement or a bewildering wash of change. Though normally it’s on the diminishing improvement level of return per $1 spent.....but real none the less. :)

Your at a challenge to find a headphone to use those last 3.5mm X2 balanced ports. If you buy a vintage set of XBA-Z5 IEMs or a pair of MDR-Z7 headphones they will come with those cables included.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #4,499 of 9,635
Yes, though for us in the know, your photograph represents new acquisitions (thus extra special) and the magic they can introduce at times. The (new purchase) methodology to gaining a small extra percentage of improvement or a bewildering wash of change. Though normally it’s on the diminishing improvement level of return per $1 spent.....but real none the less. :)

Your at a challenge to find a headphone to use those last 3.5mm X2 balanced ports. If you buy a vintage set of XBA-Z5 IEMs or a pair of MDR-Z7 headphones they will come with those cables included.
The XLR4 is also open. :)

The Arya is not a new purchase though as my budget has been exhausted by the TA & Z1R last month (actually I still have to submit my monthly allowance to the family budget for the next 3 months too) :) . This is a loaner from my local hifi dealer. The Arya (well, actually the he1000se) was my favorite headphone out of all the full-size headphones I auditioned over the past 2 years (which includes Utopia, Susvara, Empirian, LCD4, etc.), so I was curious to see how it would fair against the Z1R, when both are powered by the TA.

May 2, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #4,500 of 9,635
The XLR4 is also open. :)

The Arya is not a new purchase though as my budget has been exhausted by the TA & Z1R last month (actually I still have to submit my monthly allowance to the family budget for the next 3 months too) :) . This is a loaner from my local hifi dealer. The Arya (well, actually the he1000se) was my favorite headphone out of all the full-size headphones I auditioned over the past 2 years (which includes Utopia, Susvara, Empirian, LCD4, etc.), so I was curious to see how it would fair against the Z1R, when both are powered by the TA.

That would be an interesting comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back