Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 23, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,826 of 9,645
an "older gentleman"

528394.jpg

You know that’s not a real user right? Rather it’s something called an “advertisement”. I’d be willing to bet that dude doesn’t even own a pair or Z1Rs. Amazing I know.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,827 of 9,645
After living with the Z1R for a bit over a month now, my impressions:

• It takes awhile to get used to the 10K peak. I have a feeling the target demographic for this headphone are older gentlemen who prefer boosted treble to offset age-related hearing loss.
  • I find the sound a bit fatiguing over longer listening sessions, as there is a subtle but present “tension” in the highs. It’s not something one hears per-se, but rather a feeling. Very ambiguous I know.
  • Before fatigue sets in though, the Z1R sounds absolutely fantastic. Very punchy and engaging sound. A blast to listen to.
  • I suspect the fatiguing aspect will slowly disappear as I get older. Something to look forward to!
  • The other head/ear phone I use on a daily basis is the Shure KSE1200, which I can listen to for hours on end.
Replace the stock silver plated cable with a all copper cable and the harshness in the highs goes away.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #3,829 of 9,645
You know that’s not a real user right? Rather it’s something called an “advertisement”. I’d be willing to bet that dude doesn’t even own a pair or Z1Rs. Amazing I know.
you don't say? :rolling_eyes: of course it's an advertisement - an advertisement for the sony z1r targeting a particular demographic, and there's nothing amazing about that

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #3,830 of 9,645
you don't say? :rolling_eyes: of course it's an advertisement - an advertisement for the sony z1r targeting a particular demographic, and there's nothing amazing about that

Yes, and that demographic is 30-65 males. Given the price of the Z1R it's probably more like 40+, aka older gentlemen who have natural, age-related hearing loss. If you consider that many people over 25 can't hear above 15KHz you can get a good idea of the high frequency sensitivity of said target demographic.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #3,831 of 9,645
Yes, and that demographic is 30-65 males. Given the price of the Z1R it's probably more like 40+, aka older gentlemen who have natural, age-related hearing loss. If you consider that many people over 25 can't hear above 15KHz you can get a good idea of the high frequency sensitivity of said target demographic.
the male in the photograph is aged somewhere between 30 and 40 years of age - more middle-aged than "older gentleman" i'd suggest. so which demographic do you think sony is actually targeting with the z1r, "30-65 males", "40+, aka older gentlemen" or anyone "over 25 (who) can't hear above 15khz"? i know that feelings can be hard to define but could you try to be consistent at least?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3,832 of 9,645

the male in the photograph is aged somewhere between 30 and 40 years of age - more middle-aged than "older gentleman" i'd suggest. so which demographic do you think sony is actually targeting with the z1r, "30-65 males", "40+, aka older gentlemen" or anyone "over 25 (who) can't hear above 15khz"? i know that feelings can be hard to describe but could you try to be consistent at least?

From what I've read, the Z1R is tuned in line with Sony's new house sound which encompasses other headphones such as the Z7M and Z7M2, so tuning and price of the Z1R probably don't correlate. Also, advertisements usually present an image of how the target audience perceives itself (or aspires to be) and not necessarily the actual appearance of the target audience, so I wouldn't assume too much from the model in the ad.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #3,833 of 9,645
From what I've read, the Z1R is tuned in line with Sony's new house sound which encompasses other headphones such as the Z7M and Z7M2, so tuning and price of the Z1R probably don't correlate. Also, advertisements usually present an image of how the target audience perceives itself (or aspires to be) and not necessarily the actual appearance of the target audience, so I wouldn't assume too much from the model in the ad.

Spot on. I am past 50 and within the target audience. The elder I/we get the more we want too be young again or at least feel that we are younger. The last thing I would want to see is an old fart in the add. An image of myself, no thanks :)

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #3,834 of 9,645
this has been covered before in the thread, but my understanding is that the tuning for the z1r was the result of a collaboration between sony and mark wilder: https://www.sony.net/brand/stories/en/our/products_services/svs/

i wouldn't presume to know who the target audience for the z1r is, but i couldn't help noticing that the male model pictured in the advertisement didn't look like an "older gentleman".

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #3,836 of 9,645
People who does get irked with the highs may actually find Z7's and Z7M2's rendition more agreeble for long time usage comfort.
I do remember the Z1R can be a bit sibilant and grainy sometimes when i tried them (quiet place, on Jaben demo) but that impression never came up on my Z7

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #3,839 of 9,645
Mine doesn't sound harsh un the least. A bi
After living with the Z1R for a bit over a month now, my impressions:

• It takes awhile to get used to the 10K peak. I have a feeling the target demographic for this headphone are older gentlemen who prefer boosted treble to offset age-related hearing loss.
  • I find the sound a bit fatiguing over longer listening sessions, as there is a subtle but present “tension” in the highs. It’s not something one hears per-se, but rather a feeling. Very ambiguous I know.
  • Before fatigue sets in though, the Z1R sounds absolutely fantastic. Very punchy and engaging sound. A blast to listen to.
  • I suspect the fatiguing aspect will slowly disappear as I get older. Something to look forward to!
  • The other head/ear phone I use on a daily basis is the Shure KSE1200, which I can listen to for hours on end.

I have a completely different headphone. Mine does not sound harsh or fatiguing nor punchy and engaging in the least. I'd describe it as very well-behaved to the point of being a bit dull and somewhat boring. However, I wouldn't say that I'm an "older gentleman" (yet), and there are plenty of headphones that I perceive as elevated in the highs and even harsh-sounding. This one, to me, is the exact opposite. Maybe I have a dud. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back