Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 26, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,856 of 9,640
I would be interested in exactly this cable to connect the Z1R to my THX AAA 789 Amp. Is this available somewhere to order in this configuration?

I might be able to whip up another few. I might have a few copper cables too.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #3,857 of 9,640
Anyone know of a good adapter for the axios kimber? Need female 4pin xlr to 3,5mm male

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,858 of 9,640
How high are your serials? I bought these now for the 2nd time. And the serial is 8400 something. I remember the Previous ones i had. Was Serial 5000something, had a little peak in the treble. The New ones seems more smooth. Anyone Else tried different serials? Its like i dont think i need a upgrade cable after all.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,860 of 9,640
I may have an issue with one of my drivers- seems that the right channel project the higher frequencies better than the left- I tested cables , used various tests tones and I sense a little channel imbalance that is driving me crazy. it is just barely there but every time I put them on I keep thinking about it - I wish I had a measurement rig to test the drivers. I even had my ears checked. I don’t notice the issue with other headphones.They are out of warranty and the Sony repair place is in NY. I was thinking on sending them for repairs. Wonder if anybody here had their headphones repaired by Sony.

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #3,862 of 9,640
where did you get the kimber cable? i'm in the uk and can't find any kimber cable sellers just in case i do get round to buying the sony z1r.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3,863 of 9,640
Retailers in my area have switched to newer Z1R demo models, which have their serial number expanded from 4 to 5 digits (0xxxx). And the sound does seemingly be slightly lighter in bass and smoother in treble.

Funny that in the IER-Z1R thread the serial numbers are now in the 8000 range and one person who owned the early serial number sold his and now repurchased to feel the sound character has ALSO been modified as you described? :xf_eek:

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #3,866 of 9,640
At least this indicates the engineers are still working on these stuffs...

As with the R-10 it kinda makes our gear special. Meaning if it is true then our MDRs become irreplaceable.

I’m pretty sure it was a discovery among the community when the R-10 went from early bass-lite to bass heavy? Not sure. The bass-lite set I heard had no extra info on the box? That was 9 years ago, though?

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #3,867 of 9,640
We will need someone who we respect to either measure the new ones or decide by listening? It would not be that strange of a change knowing what has gone on in the past.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #3,868 of 9,640
As with the R-10 it kinda makes our gear special. Meaning if it is true then our MDRs become irreplaceable.

I’m pretty sure it was a discovery among the community when the R-10 went from early bass-lite to bass heavy? Not sure. The bass-lite set I heard had no extra info on the box? That was 9 years ago, though?
The R10 drivers have at least 3 different part number throughout its lifespan so there is solid evidence of modifications. Maybe after some year when headphone "archaeologists" began researching on the z1r we will see similar proofs. It's just a matter of time for changes to take place to the continuing products, a commonly observed phenomenon.

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #3,870 of 9,640
Subscribing to learn about this headphone. Anyone here a fan of/own both the Sony and the Denon 9200? I really like the Denon house sound, so to speak, and am interested in the MDR Z1R.

Not the 9200 but my favorite before the Z1R was the Denon AH-D7000. The MDR-Z1R offers a refined upgrade while still producing a fun V shape response. It’s not exactly the same but a nice improvement. You feel like your moving forward from Foster Inc. The soundstage is bigger also offering little details not found with the Denon AH-D7000. It was a fairly comfortable transition over as they are more the same than different. IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back