Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 24, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,841 of 9,828
Yes, and that demographic is 30-65 males. Given the price of the Z1R it's probably more like 40+, aka older gentlemen who have natural, age-related hearing loss. If you consider that many people over 25 can't hear above 15KHz you can get a good idea of the high frequency sensitivity of said target demographic.
I'm at the high end of that demographic and I haven't had hearing loss at the high end. Once I replaced the stock balanced cable with the AXIOS Cu it smoothed out the highs in the Z1R. I hardly use my LCD-X as I find it has harsh highs.

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #3,842 of 9,828
Maybe the sibilant treble is de facto Sony's intention... after all they even emphasize this effect with the stock cable, and this doesn't occur to the IER.
SO they practically divide the iem and fullsize users into different groups thus we are profiled as "old (at least middle-aged) suited gentlemen", okay I'll take this brag:laughing:

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #3,843 of 9,828
Anyone tried the moon audio black dragon for z1r? I think its pure copper.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #3,844 of 9,828
I actually do have the balanced version of the moon audio black dragon V2 for the Z1R. As i switched from he sony originals unbalanced to the balanced version (never tried the sony balanced cable, probably still in the box), and i am then using of course a different out on the A&K SE100, there are a lot of moving pieces here. Also, over the course of that time, the Z1R also got a lot of listening time, so they are more worn in now, then they have been with the original cable.

From my perspective, the cable helps the Z1R a lot. But i can’t quantify if it’s the being balanced or the copper. But there is more warmth to the sound now, and i really enjoy that cable purchase. It also feel unfair to compare the blackdragon with the stock cable

Frank

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #3,845 of 9,828
From what I've read, the Z1R is tuned in line with Sony's new house sound which encompasses other headphones such as the Z7M and Z7M2, so tuning and price of the Z1R probably don't correlate. Also, advertisements usually present an image of how the target audience perceives itself (or aspires to be) and not necessarily the actual appearance of the target audience, so I wouldn't assume too much from the model in the ad.

I don't think there's really a Sony "House Sound", rather it's more the industry has taken note of Harman's frequency response research, and have incorporating the findings into their designs/tunings. Harman's research found "older folks" prefer higher treble than younger ones, hence the speculation on the reasoning for the Z1R's 10KHz peak.

I'm at the high end of that demographic and I haven't had hearing loss at the high end. Once I replaced the stock balanced cable with the AXIOS Cu it smoothed out the highs in the Z1R. I hardly use my LCD-X as I find it has harsh highs.

Try this: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

Less argue. More helpful.

Budget copper cable options?

I have this and it works just fine.

Someone just a few pages back was lamenting the lack of activity, well this is the most active this thread has been in ages. Are you not entertained?

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #3,846 of 9,828
I don't think there's really a Sony "House Sound", rather it's more the industry has taken note of Harman's frequency response research, and have incorporating the findings into their designs/tunings. Harman's research found "older folks" prefer higher treble than younger ones, hence the speculation on the reasoning for the Z1R's 10KHz peak.
that is indeed speculative with regard to both the tuning of the z1r and the presence of the 10khz peak

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #3,847 of 9,828
the male in the photograph is aged somewhere between 30 and 40 years of age - more middle-aged than "older gentleman" i'd suggest. so which demographic do you think sony is actually targeting with the z1r, "30-65 males", "40+, aka older gentlemen" or anyone "over 25 (who) can't hear above 15khz"? i know that feelings can be hard to define but could you try to be consistent at least?

30-65, 40, are all numbers consistently greater than 25. As for feelings, they are very easy to put into words. In fact doing so could help one get through the denial stage and reach acceptance of one's age. Tell your friends.

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #3,848 of 9,828
So apparently this is where the name sony comes from.

"The name is derived from sonus, the Latin word for sound, and 'sonny', slang for youthful boys". :L3000::L3000:

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #3,849 of 9,828
30-65, 40, are all numbers consistently greater than 25. As for feelings, they are very easy to put into words. In fact doing so could help one get through the denial stage and reach acceptance of one's age. Tell your friends.
yes, those numbers are all greater than 25 but that still doesn't clarify which particular age demographic that you "feel" sony is targeting with the z1r. oh, and try losing the attitude - thanx.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #3,850 of 9,828
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #3,853 of 9,828
Looks good, do they get fixed after screwed?

Yep screw on good.

IMG_20191126_121024.jpg

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,854 of 9,828
Yes, and that demographic is 30-65 males. Given the price of the Z1R it's probably more like 40+, aka older gentlemen who have natural, age-related hearing loss. If you consider that many people over 25 can't hear above 15KHz you can get a good idea of the high frequency sensitivity of said target demographic.
I don't think it matters much anyway. How much real information is there at 15KHz and above in music? Very, very little, and it would be perceptibly masked by the frequencies below it that contained significant information reaching perceptible amplitude anyway so whatever really small amount of information may be perceptible to young, wonderful hearing would in all reality be so minimal anyway.

It isn't necessarily that a frequency is represented in the waveform, what most matters is whether or not it reaches amplitudes where the frequency can be perceptible in a meaningful way and contribute to the sonic package. I guess you could make an argument that any amplitude contributes, but I would bet my life that if you removed the information in most music at 15KHz and above, nobody would notice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back