Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 9, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #3,886 of 9,644
I guess we just have to say people who like the Z1R would definitely like the OG Z7 also, and vice versa. :grin:

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #3,888 of 9,644
the lining? as in the thin part below the foam or something? maybe it's better to peel them all off if yours start flaking?

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #3,889 of 9,644
DEADLY BAD discovery, the lining of the Z1R earpads is still made of pleather, guys look carefully inside to see if yours are starting peeling off as well.

Feel disgraceful for Sony. :weary:
That is a known fact since the headphone came out. You could have read it long ago. Ear pads on headphones are consumable items. They need to be exchanged sooner or later. Get over it and stop crying please.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #3,890 of 9,644
That is a known fact since the headphone came out. You could have read it long ago. Ear pads on headphones are consumable items. They need to be exchanged sooner or later. Get over it and stop crying please.
Looks like I'd missed the reports. Nevertheless this still indicates Sony doesn't treat it as 'premium grade' as they propagated, or they'd have better fabrication like those pads for the R10.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #3,891 of 9,644
the lining? as in the thin part below the foam or something? maybe it's better to peel them all off if yours start flaking?
Both the covering of the inner round and below the foam could flake. Feel sorry for its build quality, but not the sound change... it's become more transparent after I wiped some of them off, more bass is trapped.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #3,893 of 9,644
Maybe Its about time someone make a pair of aftermarket to fit those fittings too, shouldn’t be too hard to manufacture those

About them not in R10 quality.. Z1R is literally half the price the R10 was.
Also, each a product of a different era. You can argue nobody makes stuff like the old days anymore, and also there’s way more Z1R than there was R10, the byproduct of a modern, mass produced object.
Intentional use of pleather on some parts? Who knows, one can argue controlling tuning is always easier with pleather, Leather has wider inconsistencies simply from how the material comes from a living thing.

On the flip side, Z1R’s driver won’t die from being used.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #3,895 of 9,644
Maybe the standard does lowered. The material usage of the pads is happened to be the same as the MDR-SA5000 (its Japanese domestic version, to be exact). That is 77,700 yen, less than half of the Z1R price.
I trust the Sony engineers that they did the best possible product with the Z1r. When they select that thin layer of vinyl or which ever plastic in such a space, then it is regarding product sound quality, not cost reduction. It was not placed there for you to rub on. No aftermarket pad can create the same sound which was intended by the developers. Btw, my pads are still in pristine condition.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,896 of 9,644
I trust the Sony engineers that they did the best possible product with the Z1r. When they select that thin layer of vinyl or which ever plastic in such a space, then it is regarding product sound quality, not cost reduction. It was not placed there for you to rub on. No aftermarket pad can create the same sound which was intended by the developers. Btw, my pads are still in pristine condition.
I don't have that much confidence and trust, given the fact I've began researching the replacement cables long time ago.

Basically I tend to agree with what Sp12er3 pointed out that, as price is labeled 200k yen, but not 360k (the R10) nor 280k (the Qualia) for this model, there should be some difference. Pricing of Sony products tells stories.

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #3,897 of 9,644
Have to add my impression on the moon audio black dragon cable. Earlier i had the sony kimber. I feel that the black dragon is a notch above with smoother sound in regards of controlled bass and smoother highs. Its about double the price of the Sony kimber where i live. And the Sony kimber is still a good value. I am enjoying the black dragon alot, but most of the sparkle on the Stock cable is gone. This is kind of good and bad. Regarding of what you May like.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #3,899 of 9,644
I just received my newly purchase Sony MDR Z1R and honestly they do not sound anything like the lush and sexy sound I heard at the Sony store. I hope they get better as I listen along.
What are you driving them with? The better your upstream gear is the better the Z1R's will sound. Also a better cable is somewhat required, preferably an all copper one. As the stock cable screws up the highs.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #3,900 of 9,644
What are you driving them with? The better your upstream gear is the better the Z1R's will sound. Also a better cable is somewhat required, preferably an all copper one. As the stock cable screws up the highs.

Schiit Jot. By the way just to clarify my Sony z1r is a great headphone just different from the one I heard from the store which made me decide to purchase on the spot and since the general consensus of this thread is that they get better with time I with stick to the stock cable for now and hope they turn into the one I heard at the store.

The z1r at the Sony store paired with their Sony nw wm1z sound so lush, sexy and addictive. Really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back