Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #3,916 of 9,645
All right fellows, take a grain of salt and be ready for my obscure text, cuz the cables are ready.
DSC_0127.JPG
From left to right are the original stock (my friend lend it to me), my slightly modded stock and my DIY. Up there is the Sony ICD-SX2000 voice recorder which will be my gear for the recordings. Without a dummy head and higher-grade microphones the bass quality of the recordings might suffer, but let's see what we will find out in the treble range.

And here's the photo of the wire construction of the original Z1R stock cable. The yellow fiber in the picture is Kevlar, while the rest are the pure copper strands (red and green wire) and the silver plated ones (transparent and blue wire). No doubt this is a hybrid cable.
DSC_0126.JPG

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #3,917 of 9,645
Maybe the standard does lowered. The material usage of the pads is happened to be the same as the MDR-SA5000 (its Japanese domestic version, to be exact). That is 77,700 yen, less than half of the Z1R price.
I don't have that much confidence and trust, given the fact I've began researching the replacement cables long time ago.

Basically I tend to agree with what Sp12er3 pointed out that, as price is labeled 200k yen, but not 360k (the R10) nor 280k (the Qualia) for this model, there should be some difference. Pricing of Sony products tells stories.

I wasn’t implying such a lot of lowered standard or anything, it’s just different Sony, that come from different time, if I remember right, both CD3000 And SA5000 comes after their flag, R10 and Q010, while the Z1R, relies a lot from the research and feedback they got from a more mature line of 70mm drivers, 2 closed 1 open. And clearly the one most influenced it is the Z7, both in tuning and build (cable and accessory included) I don’t see it to be such a stretch that the premium they put on Z1R’s MSRP over Z’s OG MSRP is enough to warrant the addition they put into it, ie the cup, new frame, premium box, etc R&D cost included.

They probably know, based on their own research that the standard the Z7 came with is enough to satisfy 90+% percent of their customer, thus they basically “don’t fix what’s not broken from it”, which is good for them, as the Z7 really was an overachiever in regard of build, Z1R just pick that as standard, add in more goodies, and put it at their appropriate price. It’s a safe starting point, and are a very smart of them to use it, unlike R10 and Q010, the Z1R has a safe point it can comfortably settle themselves in.

That's not my point. Actually I don't think that soldering treatment is intolerable or poorly practiced, but it's soldered by experienced hands. Kimber also emphasizes that AXIOS is not soldered so for the Sony/Kimber? Soldered. Pretty acceptable.

But the stock cable is poor, genuinely. Claimed as 'silver plated ofc' but in fact 2-silver plated / 2-pure copper hybrid, and brings harshness in treble (confirmed by a very large percent of its users). If you swap the cu wires for silver plated taken from another stock cable to form a pure 4 silver plated construction, the harshness is then diminished, the sound improves without adding any third-party material.

So I would definitely disagree the opinion that 'Sony doesn't mean to lower their standards, the reason why they choose the vinyl instead of leather is most probably because they sound better rather than they are cheaper'. If they always pursuit the SQ they shouldn't be providing those stock cables, and being misleading in its description. No, the main reason they select inferior parts for the MDR-Z1R is because they wish to reduce its cost, this is what I trust.
Really don’t have much to say about how it ended up affecting the sound for some, but it’s such a nicely supple and non tangling cable I just can’t make myself fault them, My own’s Z7’s cables is years old and is still going strong I’m glad they put similar design for Z1R that’s all. Tuning match? Well I can just find different amp to compensate, the sibilance I hear from the Z1R back then wasn’t such an annoying thing, it’s just noticeable IMO. (And I must admit the mastering on most Anisong is just trash~) it’s Gone on other tracks

On a totally separate note, I recently bought the Sony Z7M2. I already have the MDR-Z1R and that the cables that Sony has included with both Z7M2 and Z1R are same.

Considering that these headphones are at a very different price point and one would generally expect that more expensive headphones have higher class accessories (case in point the leather Box with Z1R while just a cardboard box with Z7M2).There are many ways to look at this.

1. Sony has determined that there is base line high quality sound that can be produced by certain level of material and manufacturing and they established that with the Z1R cables and now using the bulk manufacturing to make the same cable available with lower priced model Z7M2.
2. Sony understands that people buying these level of headphones have further refined requirements and will be buying after market cables for their unique requirements and it is better to stay with some base level cable at a reasonable cost in the package.That is why they are able to provide the same cable with much lower price model.
3. For their target house sound, they really do not see any benefit in going beyond a certain level of materials / manufacturing on the cable side, irrespective of the level of headphone offering.Hence no difference in the cable between Z1R & Z7M2.

Not sure which one of these are absolutely true but my personal bias is for the all 3 :)

Hope that helps in some way in keeping the discussion atmosphere friendly.......
Obviously I Agree with point 1, tho 2 is also possible knowing just how thriving with options the cable markets are these days. Pretty different from R10 and Q010’s days (I mean they gave the Q010 that proprietary connector, now that’s one more fitting to complaint about)
As it's moderated, hope you won't mind I quote you again to answer that slightly modded cables would lessen specific vocal spikes and tighten the bass to a small extent. Whether that's subjective? We'll see next.

For you 3 points here I would say there's no need to have a personal bias among them because they are all reasonable thoughts Sony would consider, and added that they need some costdown:laughing:. But there's one thing must to be clarified that the cable of the Z7 is NOT identical to the Z1R. Not sure for the M2 but for the older model, definitely not, as wire gauge is smaller. If you don't cut it you won't discover this fact since they look identical in appearance except for being labeled as "MDR-Z1R" or "MDR-Z7".

Nobody should expect a group in a major company like Sony is so simple as audiophiles with a pure enthusiasm in pursuing SQ, or they'll be tricked. If one doesn't care, stay silent is wiser than bringing trivial subjectivity questions to anybody that's practically researching.
In what way do you find the cable that came with the Z7 differ from Z1R? On the exterior, the serrations alone make it feels the same for me, he thick jack, locking mechanism, they all feel good. Its like a bulked up ver of the cable they put on their IEMs, I do like it.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #3,918 of 9,645
Schiit Jot. By the way just to clarify my Sony z1r is a great headphone just different from the one I heard from the store which made me decide to purchase on the spot and since the general consensus of this thread is that they get better with time I with stick to the stock cable for now and hope they turn into the one I heard at the store.

The z1r at the Sony store paired with their Sony nw wm1z sound so lush, sexy and addictive. Really good!
DAC/amp pairing is also important, Sony has been updating the tuning of their 1z/1A Through FW updates to really hone in on their Z1R(s) strengths,I don’t doubt they sound brilliant on it.
Do keep trying burning them in tho, whether brain burn in or the other one

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #3,919 of 9,645
I wasn’t implying such a lot of lowered standard or anything, it’s just different Sony, that come from different time, if I remember right, both CD3000 And SA5000 comes after their flag, R10 and Q010, while the Z1R, relies a lot from the research and feedback they got from a more mature line of 70mm drivers, 2 closed 1 open. And clearly the one most influenced it is the Z7, both in tuning and build (cable and accessory included) I don’t see it to be such a stretch that the premium they put on Z1R’s MSRP over Z’s OG MSRP is enough to warrant the addition they put into it, ie the cup, new frame, premium box, etc R&D cost included.

In what way do you find the cable that came with the Z7 differ from Z1R? On the exterior, the serrations alone make it feels the same for me, he thick jack, locking mechanism, they all feel good. Its like a bulked up ver of the cable they put on their IEMs, I do like it.
There's a lot to tell and I'll try keep it simple. I agree the Z1R is a great leap from the Z7 but still I think it is a little distance away from the R10 or the Qualia. This doesn't mean the Z1R is not a premium headphone, but it may not have reached the 'premium' standard of Sony. Other than their prices, there are many other hints from the "two kings" like the R10 has individual engineer signatures, the Qualia is a custom model, their frame adopts more superior material, and their cables are way better constructed (I've disassembled all of them). The Z1R doesn't benefit from any of those above. Therefore my recent discovery of the Z1R earpads material only firms this belief of mine even more.

The cable of the Z7 and the Z1R differ in wire gauge, the wires of Z7 are smaller in diameter. It doesn't require much effort to produce these two different cables, because as you can see in my picture the cable consists only unbraided wires and the pvc tube; they only need to throw different wires straightly into the same kind of tubes and it's done.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,920 of 9,645
There's a lot to tell and I'll try keep it simple. I agree the Z1R is a great leap from the Z7 but still I think it is a little distance away from the R10 or the Qualia. This doesn't mean the Z1R is not a premium headphone, but it may not have reached the 'premium' standard of Sony. Other than their prices, there are many other hints from the "two kings" like the R10 has individual engineer signatures, the Qualia is a custom model, their frame adopts more superior material, and their cables are way better constructed (I've disassembled all of them). The Z1R doesn't benefit from any of those above. Therefore my recent discovery of the Z1R earpads material only firms this belief of mine even more.

The cable of the Z7 and the Z1R differ in wire gauge, the wires of Z7 are smaller in diameter. It doesn't require much effort to produce these two different cables, because as you can see in my picture the cable consists only unbraided wires and the pvc tube; they only need to throw different wires straightly into the same kind of tubes and it's done.

As I recall from 10-15 years ago people were generally not impressed with the material or build quality of the R10 cable. Also I personaly never liked the R10 sound that much, much prefered the ATH-L3000.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,921 of 9,645
The Qualias is pretty bad on build tho, honestly I’d call that headphones more experimental or anything, a novelty yes but not one I really want to buy.
If it’s that easy and they intentionally change it then it probably is tuning choice

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #3,922 of 9,645
As I recall from 10-15 years ago people were generally not impressed with the material or build quality of the R10 cable. Also I personaly never liked the R10 sound that much, much prefered the ATH-L3000.
Audiophiles are never impressed by stock cables, don't they... But I'm based on comparing the R10 and the Z1R cables. If you need, again there are pictures.

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #3,923 of 9,645
The Qualias is pretty bad on build tho, honestly I’d call that headphones more experimental or anything, a novelty yes but not one I really want to buy.
If it’s that easy and they intentionally change it then it probably is tuning choice
Let along its caborn fibre headband, the plastic material of the frame of the Qualia completely overwhelms the plastic part used on the Z1R frame in terms of density and rigidity. There's a straightforward way to briefly feel the difference - knock on the black frame of the Qualia and compare the sound with knocking on the round frame of the Z1R that's between the earpads and the metal grill. Imo The Qualia is an incomplete concept in terms of sound but still the "king" of Sony phones at that specific time period (but not anymore after).

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #3,926 of 9,645
This might be a question for a Dealer. Has Sony made any tuning changes to the Sony MDR-Z1R since Tyll reviewed them in 2017?
That guy retired. I got mine before he did the review. I cannot understand his findings and I think Sony had no reason to change anything.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,927 of 9,645
I am a little concerned about the so referenced 10k ringing peak, because of my tinnitus. Hence checking on threads before deciding to order it. Thats why I asked about tuning change since Tyll’s review?

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,928 of 9,645
I had these 1 year ago. And bought them again now. They do sound the same. Its a little peak but if you pair them with a copper cable it will smoothen a bit out. i also notice this better after listening to my lcd4 for couple of days first. If i only use z1r i get used to it and doesnt notice it. If that make sense. I also have tinnitus.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #3,929 of 9,645
I am a little concerned about the so referenced 10k ringing peak, because of my tinnitus. Hence checking on threads before deciding to order it. Thats why I asked about tuning change since Tyll’s review?
I found that true using the stock cable. The recommendation is to use an all copper cable like the Sony Kimber or Kimber AXIOS. I went with the AXIOS and have zero issue with the high end like I do with the LCD-X.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #3,930 of 9,645
I had these 1 year ago. And bought them again now. They do sound the same. Its a little peak but if you pair them with a copper cable it will smoothen a bit out. i also notice this better after listening to my lcd4 for couple of days first. If i only use z1r i get used to it and doesnt notice it. If that make sense. I also have tinnitus.
Thank you. My current headphones are Focal Clear which I like for Music. The Z1R would be for Movie’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back