Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #3,662 of 9,645
I just listened to the Z1R through my iPhone 6, but now I added the DragonFly Red.. what a difference! I wonder how it will fair with the Chord Mojo, but this headphone has potential to upscale.

I used to think that the Alpha Prime was my favorite closed headphone, but the Z1R takes the cake.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,663 of 9,645
I just listened to the Z1R through my iPhone 6, but now I added the DragonFly Red.. what a difference! I wonder how it will fair with the Chord Mojo, but this headphone has potential to upscale.

They sound good with the Mojo but way better with the Chord Hugo TT2. Give it a try if you can.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #3,664 of 9,645
They sound good with the Mojo but way better with the Chord Hugo TT2. Give it a try if you can.

I hopefully will at an upcoming meet.

This headphone is also great with gaming. I spent the weekend playing Fallout 76 and it was superbly immersive.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,669 of 9,645
Sep 23, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #3,670 of 9,645
that looks like the genuine Sony Kimber 3.5mm cable. I don’t think that a 2.5mm exists as Sony to my knowledge don’t have any 2.5mm devices

I'm nearly sold, but it's only 1.2m long...

EDIT: I also don't mind the sound signature of the stock cable, but it's too damn long. I want perfection. :p

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #3,672 of 9,645
I know that this might not be a fair comparison, but I purchased both of these headphones at nearly the same price. I also think that the Z1R, even though it's closed, competes well enough with open-back designed headphones.

When comparing the ADX5000 to the Z1R the differences are noticeable, meaning that one does not need to do extensive A/B testing to notice changes in sound signature. Before we get into sound I'd like to touch on packaging and comfort, and these headphones are probably two of the most comfortable that I've ever worn. In terms of packaging they both come with their own case, however the ADX5000's case is more portable. It feels like a large briefcase whereas the Z1R's case is heavy and not that portable. Both cases exude quality, but I believe the Z1R wins out on this one because of it's leather finish. In terms of comfort I was actually surprised when I realized that the Z1R is more comfortable to wear even though it weighs almost 150 grams more than the ADX5000. The weight distribution and pads of the Z1R creates a snug fit, whereas the ADX5000 has stiffer pads and more clamp force. This is immediately noticeable, but after awhile both headphones feel like they disappear on your head. I'll make a quick mention about cables: they are both of similar quality and length, and I'm talking about the 6.3mm terminated cables. They are great for desktop use, but they are poor when it comes to portability.

When dissecting the sound I like to focus more on overall sound signature strengths rather then dividing it up into lows, mid-range and treble. In quick summary the ADX5000 is a neutral-tuned headphone while the Z1R has a more of a U-shaped sound signature.

The ADX5000 generally feels borderless in terms of sound-staging capabilities. The closest headphone that comes to mind that is similar in this regard is the HEK series. Sounds can feel near, sounds can feel far, etc. Nothing in the ADX5000 sound is exaggerated, so this in turn allows details to REALLY shine through. A well-known YouTube reviewer has stated that this is Audio-Technica's take on the HD 800 and I can see why he believes this. The ADX5000 favors classical, ambient, vocals and acoustic. That's not to say that it doesn't do well with genres such as electronic -- the bass is surprisingly tight, textured and full like that of an HD 800S with more body and sub-bass. For a neutral headphone the ADX5000 is actually fairly dynamic as well. I'll have to say that in terms of the upper ranges that the ADX5000 is probably the best I've heard to date -- it is delicate, yet has just the right amount of energy with no perceived spikes. I'd also like to mention that it's a pleasure to listen to this headphone at lower volume. At the end of the day, nothing is added or taken away with the ADX5000.

With the Z1R, I feel like it's a Goku Super Saiyan 3. Everything is exaggerated. Take everything that I said about the ADX5000 and add more energy, more body, more depth, more speed, more attack, but with all of this comes probably more fatigue in the end. I listened to the John Wick OST and was BLOWN AWAY. The sounds felt like they were going to explode out of the headphone because there was so much energy, yet this is Goku we are talking about. He knows what he's doing.

I honestly feel like I can delete this entire write-up and you guys would lose nothing in terms of insight, but the ADX5000 is amazing and actually makes me appreciate the Z1R even more. They are perfect compliments.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,673 of 9,645
I honestly feel like I can delete this entire write-up and you guys would lose nothing in terms of insight, but the ADX5000 is amazing and actually makes me appreciate the Z1R even more. They are perfect compliments.

- I also own both because there are no perfect headphones. Each phones has it's own characters so I used them in a different moods.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #3,674 of 9,645

- I also own both because there are no perfect headphones. Each phones has it's own characters so I used them in a different moods.

Agreed. I thought about selling the ADX5000, but past experience has taught me otherwise. I've tried to live with just one headphone, but it never panned off in the long run.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,675 of 9,645
Agreed. I thought about selling the ADX5000, but past experience has taught me otherwise. I've tried to live with just one headphone, but it never panned off in the long run.

I sold all other headphones after getting the Z1R 2 1/2 years ago and have not felt the need for any other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back