Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 18, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #3,633 of 9,652
I purchased a Z1R a few days ago, and I'm expecting it in-house by later today. I hope to post some positive listening impressions.

I'll also be doing a comparison between the Z1R and the ADX-5000.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #3,634 of 9,652
You'd better try "fix" that bass curve of Stellia to be above the Z1R in order to prove your opinion instead of exploiting your pronoun manic over and again
i'm not the one making the sweeping subjective claims here

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #3,635 of 9,652
What am I missing here? When I look at the graph it shows the Stella as having more low frequency output than the Z1R. The Stella is the black path trace is it not? Somebody help me discover what I am missing, but looking at that graph I would conclude the Stella should have more low frequency output across the board. Although there would be a perceptual/relative sub bass dip in the Stella whereas the Z1R would sound more cohesive.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #3,636 of 9,652
Sorry for I've been mistaken. In most graphs the sub bass of the z1r is significantly leveled up from the mids so taken the black line as the z1r for granted.
Like they are in these two:
STELLIA
1418ffed4805543a8c5a245d6fe3d26d.png

Z1R
502928329ad140c29d95567e77decc1a.png

However if one needs to look deep into the extension issue, the FR is not adequate. At least you need to consider the resonance behavior. By referring to the impedance graph you will have more useful information.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #3,639 of 9,652
Here are some quick impressions: this is using the a Burson DA-160 DAC, Violectric V100 AMP and an iPhone 6. I listened the Elder Scrolls: Morrowind OST, Halo OST, Lazerhawk, Cannibal Ox: Cold Vein and Radiohead: In Rainbows.

First off, I can't stress enough how well this headphone is built AND how comfy it sits on my head. My headband is on 5, so I can see these headphones fitting most people's heads. The pads feel like pillows against my ears and the weight distribution is fantastic. The box it came in is very nice, although I think that it's a bit over-the-top in weight. The cables are wonderful as well. They do not have kinks and kind of drape over everything, or conform to whatever surface they are lying on.

These headphones have a unique sound signature, and I believe that this is what the Fostex TH-900 should have been. This is a tasteful V-shape sound signature, maybe more of a U-shape even. I think this is the only headphone that I've owned that gets close to the quality of the TH-900's bass and I own the TR-X00. The Z1R's bass is deep, punchy and has just enough body before sounding bloated. There is a ton of sub-bass to be heard here and it's articulate.

I think what really surprised me about this headphone is it's holographic sound-stage, it's depth and precision. I've owned many open headphones, yet the Z1R really knows where to place it's instruments and vocals. Sounds were coming from everywhere and it was a nice thing to experience. The details impressed me as well. I've listened to Cannibal OX hundreds of times and I was hearing things that I've never heard before. I couldn't believe it at first. The way that the Z1R handles the loud and the subtle sounds is very cohesive and eye-opening.

However, I do feel like there is some slight sibilance in the treble. This happened every now and then, but it was there. The treble also seems a bit one-note to me, and even though it can be full of energy I feel like there isn't much more to it than that. This made me realize that the Z1R is great for low-level listening, which is great. I can see why people like to relax with this headphone.

Finally, this headphone makes me bob my head and tap my feet. I think other than comfort this is what won me over. This is a definite keeper.

EDIT: I'd like to add that this headphone is VERY easy to power. I'm listening to it right now while its plugged into my iPhone 6. This is a HUGE selling point for me as I like to stay in a more relaxed position when listening to music, and because my room isn't big enough then laying on my bed is the next best thing. I'm not sure yet whether or not it sounds 'better' with a portable amp, but I will have impressions later on.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #3,640 of 9,652
Here are some quick impressions: this is using the a Burson DA-160 DAC, Violectric V100 AMP and an iPhone 6. I listened the Elder Scrolls: Morrowind OST, Halo OST, Lazerhawk, Cannibal Ox: Cold Vein and Radiohead: In Rainbows.

First off, I can't stress enough how well this headphone is built AND how comfy it sits on my head. My headband is on 5, so I can see these headphones fitting most people's heads. The pads feel like pillows against my ears and the weight distribution is fantastic. The box it came in is very nice, although I think that it's a bit over-the-top in weight. The cables are wonderful as well. They do not have kinks and kind of drape over everything, or conform to whatever surface they are lying on.

These headphones have a unique sound signature, and I believe that this is what the Fostex TH-900 should have been. This is a tasteful V-shape sound signature, maybe more of a U-shape even. I think this is the only headphone that I've owned that gets close to the quality of the TH-900's bass and I own the TR-X00. The Z1R's bass is deep, punchy and has just enough body before sounding bloated. There is a ton of sub-bass to be heard here and it's articulate.

I think what really surprised me about this headphone is it's holographic sound-stage, it's depth and precision. I've owned many open headphones, yet the Z1R really knows where to place it's instruments and vocals. Sounds were coming from everywhere and it was a nice thing to experience. The details impressed me as well. I've listened to Cannibal OX hundreds of times and I was hearing things that I've never heard before. I couldn't believe it at first. The way that the Z1R handles the loud and the subtle sounds is very cohesive and eye-opening.

However, I do feel like there is some slight sibilance in the treble. This happened every now and then, but it was there. The treble also seems a bit one-note to me, and even though it can be full of energy I feel like there isn't much more to it than that. This made me realize that the Z1R is great for low-level listening, which is great. I can see why people like to relax with this headphone.

Finally, this headphone makes me bob my head and tap my feet. I think other than comfort this is what won me over. This is a definite keeper.

EDIT: I'd like to add that this headphone is VERY easy to power. I'm listening to it right now while its plugged into my iPhone 6. This is a HUGE selling point for me as I like to stay in a more relaxed position when listening to music, and because my room isn't big enough then laying on my bed is the next best thing. I'm not sure yet whether or not it sounds 'better' with a portable amp, but I will have impressions later on.
Multiple people including myself find that the treble sibilance is due to the cables that Sony includes. A lot of people like the Sony/Kimber. I went for the Kimber AXIOS Copper. And find that the treble is now very smooth with no sibilance.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3,641 of 9,652
I'd like to try this thing out and compare to my Z7M2. The Z7M2 is really nice, just wish the midrange were a little more pronounced. If you could combine the Focal Elegia's mid-range honk with the Z7M2's low-end and depth, it would be perfect for my needs.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #3,642 of 9,652
Multiple people including myself find that the treble sibilance is due to the cables that Sony includes. A lot of people like the Sony/Kimber. I went for the Kimber AXIOS Copper. And find that the treble is now very smooth with no sibilance.

Probably a difference in capacitance between the cables. I wonder why audiophile companies don't publish cable specs... Would be as simple as comparing capacitance per foot to determine which cable bleeds off more high end.

Sep 20, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #3,644 of 9,652
Anyone recommend a cable at $300 or less than can soften up the treble spike?
The Sony/Kimble cable does just that. It's less than $300 dollars as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back