Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 20, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #3,646 of 9,645
Sep 20, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #3,647 of 9,645
Probably a difference in capacitance between the cables. I wonder why audiophile companies don't publish cable specs... Would be as simple as comparing capacitance per foot to determine which cable bleeds off more high end.
The capacitance of the stock cable is poor but the treble spike is mainly because of its material. Capacitance is mainly for LR separation and transparency.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #3,648 of 9,645
The capacitance of the stock cable is poor but the treble spike is mainly because of its material. Capacitance is mainly for LR separation and transparency.

I don't quite understand what LR separation and transparency are. In my experience in other audio/music circles, a cable with more capacitance bleeds off more high end than a cable with less capacitance. And if you want to stay with the same cable but want more capacitance to kill some harshness, just increase the length of the cable. A lot of people automatically assume lower capacitance is better. But you don't always want to hear 40,000hZ hitting your ear (I know we can't hear that high, just a bit of hyperbole). I guess in the audiophile world, the emphasis is more on neutral, flat, 100% reproduction of the source material. But I think a bit of color is nice sometimes. As far as cables go, they're last on my priority list.

My original comment was more about buying aftermarket/third-party cables. Many of them are hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. But the actual cable they use is about $1.50/foot at most. And as a consumer, I'd feel more comfortable purchasing from a company that publishes their products' specs. For example, one such company says they use Mogami xxxx part number cable. So it's easy enough to pull up the data sheet direct from Mogami. Whereas other companies just say they use some magical liquid diamond unobtanium cable. No way of knowning what it is under the fancy braided sheath unfortunately.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #3,649 of 9,645
I don't quite understand what LR separation and transparency are. In my experience in other audio/music circles, a cable with more capacitance bleeds off more high end than a cable with less capacitance. And if you want to stay with the same cable but want more capacitance to kill some harshness, just increase the length of the cable. A lot of people automatically assume lower capacitance is better. But you don't always want to hear 40,000hZ hitting your ear (I know we can't hear that high, just a bit of hyperbole). I guess in the audiophile world, the emphasis is more on neutral, flat, 100% reproduction of the source material. But I think a bit of color is nice sometimes. As far as cables go, they're last on my priority list.

My original comment was more about buying aftermarket/third-party cables. Many of them are hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. But the actual cable they use is about $1.50/foot at most. And as a consumer, I'd feel more comfortable purchasing from a company that publishes their products' specs. For example, one such company says they use Mogami xxxx part number cable. So it's easy enough to pull up the data sheet direct from Mogami. Whereas other companies just say they use some magical liquid diamond unobtanium cable. No way of knowning what it is under the fancy braided sheath unfortunately.
Mine is about your starting with capacitance triggering the treble spike which is not true for the Sony stock cable. Cables are much easier to understand than most of the other audio equipment, that's why there are so many aftermarket producers selling "mysterious" cables out there, but this also means everyone is able to be self-educated to the most important factors of cable sounding: impedance (R, C and L) and shielding, and behind these metrics, the twist pattern, material conductivity, elasticity and tonality that actually work out the sound. Simply blaming aftermarket cable makers (or not) is an excessively discussed topic and I don't see it will benefit anyone nowadays.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #3,650 of 9,645
Mine is about your starting with capacitance triggering the treble spike which is not true for the Sony stock cable.

I think we're talking past each other. I'm not saying capacitance is "triggering a treble spike" with any particular headphone or the stock cables. Just that less capacitance per foot = less high end loss. That's all. I was merely lamenting the fact that the majority of aftermarket cable suppliers hide the specs of their products. Most likely to maintain the hype factor.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #3,651 of 9,645
I think we're talking past each other. I'm not saying capacitance is "triggering a treble spike" with any particular headphone or the stock cables. Just that less capacitance per foot = less high end loss. That's all. I was merely lamenting the fact that the majority of aftermarket cable suppliers hide the specs of their products. Most likely to maintain the hype factor.
Not exactly, less capacitance usually leads to more inductance, and better shielding may also increase capacitance. These all contributes to high frequency behavior. The cable sound is more than 1 or 2 metrics.

Also to add that the cables are not exclusively about loss. Being part of the circuit they can trigger the unexpected movements of the driver thus "create" distortion. They are not merely "preservers of the original information"

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #3,652 of 9,645
Interesting article on cable that does a decent job of presenting both sides of the cable debate

https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/06/do-expensive-cables-really-matter/

When I owned expensive 2 channel stereo gear a while ago, I tried the whole cable thing.

Eventually, came to the conclusion that my money was better spent on buying more music and better speakers...

That said, if a more expensive cable works better for you in your setup (i.e. you're enjoying your music more), then that's awesome! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #3,653 of 9,645
I think that I'm going to get an entry level Forza AudioWorks cable. Although I'm undecided between the Copper Series HPC Mk2 and the Hybrid Series HPC.. any opinions, impressions? I'm worried that the Copper Series might be too warm, but then again I'm worried that the Hybrid Series might elevate the highs.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,655 of 9,645
Asked earlier however I did not receive an answer
I have a Kimber Axios balanced cable terminated in Lemo connectors for use with my Utopia.
Are there Lemo>3.5mm adapters so I can use this cable with my Z1R's?

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #3,657 of 9,645
  1. Pure copper or pure silver plated ofc are for the z1r, and hybrids are no. Pure silver would depend on personal favor.

Kimber AXIOS comes in Copper, Hybrid or Silver. I have the Copper and love it, someone else loves the Silver. Haven't heard of anyone using the Hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back