Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #3,616 of 9,684
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/sony-z1r-premium-headphones
https://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-mdrz1r-premium-headphone
I queried the dealer where I bought mine for this price and he said that the price is set by Sony Australia who have decided to crazily discount this headphone for some reason. Apparently they did it here years ago with the PS3 or something - Sony Australia decided we would get it way cheaper than the rest of the world. I dunno how it works, I'm just happy that I could take advantage.
Hi Mulder . Thanks for the information. I went ahead and ordered from one of the the dealers in Australia using a Freight forwarding service. This price is too good to pass. Hope all ends well with shipping and all that but worth the effort.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #3,617 of 9,684
In need of a closed headphones went for the Z1R.
I'm very happy those are easy to drive, free to listen on the sofa with just the AR-M2 attached :o2smile:

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #3,618 of 9,684
Wanted: 3.5mm screw plugs for the Z1R that won't rotate after the screw is locked to the socket.

I've ran out of this kind of plugs that perfectly fit the Z1R. I used to own the Sommer Hicons that work well but they have changed the design and the sommer hicons available nowadays no longer lock themselves tight.
I've already tried the Pearstone others have mentioned but they won't work either. I don't know if I were mistaken; the plugs I bought look the same as the Pearstone posted by others despite they will rotate.

So I'm quite desperate now and if anyone could provide an item link you have confirmed it functions properly I'd be very thankful.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #3,619 of 9,684
While we are on the topic - I have a balanced Kimber Axios 4m cable to use with my Utopias. Are there female LEMO > male 3.5mm screw plugs so I can use my Axios with the Z1R?

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #3,620 of 9,684
You don’t need the screw 3.5mm version for them to work. I got my adapter from Sean Ee at Affinity Cables and my short adapters work great.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3,623 of 9,684
So kind of cross posting - but got Stellias in and I don’t have balanced adapter. Should be here any minute.

But I’m actually very sadly shocked at the lack of low end these have (playing of unbalanced cord came with stellia on DMP-z1)...

I know there’s break in but I don’t think it’s going to add what I’ve gotten from mdr-z1r’s (which also aren’t fully broken in). And z1rs give bass I need plus more than fine on bad / mids. Stellia feeling extremely bright. Overly so in places

Haven’t changed from direct source as never had to touch for mdr/ ier z1rs. Might try to help

But if someone’s on fence about getting and it’s the sound you like (not saying bad, just don’t think they’ll be mind sound) there might be exemtrely lightly (and gently ) used Stellias for sale here soon ...

Was really hoping to plug in and just here the magic

Edit : and listening to not so bass heavy album to give better shot. But I just lean to z1rs sooo much more

Tried little Michael's Thriller in dsd and Pharrell’s album GIRL. Some other randoms. A/B’ing will continue.

And to those asking about ear warmth. Stellia warm ears more than z1rs also. The z1rs bigger so seem to have more airspace is it’s closed shell if helps.

Ok second edit. Got balanced connection to 4.4mm and sounds a loooooottttt better. But we’ll see. Still not giving me the wow I thought

I think I’m missing the sub bass a lot more than I thought

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #3,624 of 9,684
So kind of cross posting - but got Stellias in and I don’t have balanced adapter. Should be here any minute.

But I’m actually very sadly shocked at the lack of low end these have (playing of unbalanced cord came with stellia on DMP-z1)...

I know there’s break in but I don’t think it’s going to add what I’ve gotten from mdr-z1r’s (which also aren’t fully broken in). And z1rs give bass I need plus more than fine on bad / mids. Stellia feeling extremely bright. Overly so in places

Haven’t changed from direct source as never had to touch for mdr/ ier z1rs. Might try to help

But if someone’s on fence about getting and it’s the sound you like (not saying bad, just don’t think they’ll be mind sound) there might be exemtrely lightly (and gently ) used Stellias for sale here soon ...

Edit : and listening to not so bass heavy album to give better shot. But I just lean to z1rs sooo much more

Tried little Michael's Thriller in dsd and Pharrell’s album GIRL. Some other randoms. A/B’ing will continue.

And to those asking about ear warmth. Stellia warm ears more than z1rs also. The z1rs bigger so seem to have more airspace is it’s closed shell if helps.

Ok second edit. Got balanced connection to 4.4mm and sounds a loooooottttt better. But we’ll see. Still not giving me the wow I thought

Speaking of the full-size MDR.....there is a small “getting used to” period of about two days that myself and others have extrapolated on. If it’s mental burn-in or sun-spots? Something happens for the better with the MDR after about two days? Who knows why.....but it’s been reported many times.

If your post is truly regarding bass physicality with the IER, you simply don’t have fit, even though you think you do.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #3,627 of 9,684

most of the totl cans that i've heard could be described as bright and bass-lite compared to the z1r. conversely, i could also describe the z1r as dark and bass-heavy compared to most of the totl cans that i've heard.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #3,628 of 9,684
Know what you like. I have grown past enjoying brighter, analytical signatures and prefer a little warmth in a signature and the Z1R certainly provided that. Oh to have had the money at the time and not have needed to sell them. Well, better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #3,629 of 9,684
focal's drivers provide less extension on both ends (low and high).
fwiw, comparative fr measurements from headphones.com only support your claim with regard to high frequency extension:

Stellia_vs_MDR-Z1R_-_Frequency_Response_HEQ_at_300_Hz.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back