Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,692 of 9,645
Ok, true. Where are the specs so we can compare and see why the Axios is $1,000 and the Sony version is $240?

good question. The Axios has 16 individual wires and the Sony Kimber has 8. I like the Axios for sound but a significant reason for my purchase was also look and feel

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,693 of 9,645
Let me tell you the actual measured data of the Sony stock - 50pf/m (diagonal), 60pf/m(neighboring). It is as good as (if not better than) any of those cables from your datasheets but its treble sounds like ****.
Cables are more than metrics and datasheets.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #3,694 of 9,645
Let me tell you the actual measured data of the Sony stock - 50pf/m (diagonal), 60pf/m(neighboring). It is as good as (if not better than) any of those cables from your datasheets but its treble sounds like ****.
Cables are more than metrics and datasheets.

I just measured my stock Sony cables using a Fluke 87V meter. It can measure down to 10pF, +/- 1%. Measured some capacitors on hand that should be 47pF, 10% and meter showed 44pF. Meter seems to be working. Tried to measure capacitance of stock Sony cables and meter showed below range. So if you say the stock cable is 50pF per meter, I'll take your word for it. That's 15pF per FOOT. That's pretty good I think?

The Gotham cable is 75nF per KILOMETER. That's 22pF per foot. Not quite as good as the Sony if it's actually 15pF/ft. Mogami is 17pF per foot. Van Damme is 50pF per meter (15pF per foot). Same as Sony. Canare is 45pF per foot. Whether one sounds better to you is another story. I don't think I can hear the difference between 15pF/ft and 17pF/ft.

BTW, an audiophile cable company out there uses the Mogami cable and sells it for $155 (4 feet).

And sure, it's more than just capacitance. But this is just an example. In any event, I should probably switch industries and start selling $1,000 cables! My point with all of this hasn't changed: As a consumer I want to know what I'm buying. Interesting that when it comes to headphones, people are all about measurements and frequency response graphs. But when it comes to cables, suddenly it's "measurements and specs don't matter."

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #3,695 of 9,645
I'm listening to the Witcher 3 OST and it's sublime. This headphone is so comfortable and sounds so big and impactful.

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,696 of 9,645
I just measured my stock Sony cables using a Fluke 87V meter. It can measure down to 10pF, +/- 1%. Measured some capacitors on hand that should be 47pF, 10% and meter showed 44pF. Meter seems to be working. Tried to measure capacitance of stock Sony cables and meter showed below range. So if you say the stock cable is 50pF per meter, I'll take your word for it. That's 15pF per FOOT. That's pretty good I think?

The Gotham cable is 75nF per KILOMETER. That's 22pF per foot. Not quite as good as the Sony if it's actually 15pF/ft. Mogami is 17pF per foot. Van Damme is 50pF per meter (15pF per foot). Same as Sony. Canare is 45pF per foot. Whether one sounds better to you is another story. I don't think I can hear the difference between 15pF/ft and 17pF/ft.

BTW, an audiophile cable company out there uses the Mogami cable and sells it for $155 (4 feet).

And sure, it's more than just capacitance. But this is just an example. In any event, I should probably switch industries and start selling $1,000 cables! My point with all of this hasn't changed: As a consumer I want to know what I'm buying. Interesting that when it comes to headphones, people are all about measurements and frequency response graphs. But when it comes to cables, suddenly it's "measurements and specs don't matter."

I don’t really care about specs on any of my gear. I attempt to try before buy and if that is not possible I’ll buy from a place that allows returns. If I like how something sounds (amongst other criteria) then I keep irrespective of any measurements. It’s all a way to the important thing, the music

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,697 of 9,645
I don’t really care about specs on any of my gear. I attempt to try before buy and if that is not possible I’ll buy from a place that allows returns. If I like how something sounds (amongst other criteria) then I keep irrespective of any measurements. It’s all a way to the important thing, the music

I can definitely agree with that.

Sep 25, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #3,699 of 9,645
Yes, this is how I bought all of my headphones since there are no headphone dealers in my area. Some I kept, others I returned or sold. The Z1R's render music superbly and are getting better with every listen.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #3,701 of 9,645
I won't oppose you on claiming the cable market should be more scientific since they are not at all as you pointed. Just the datasheets like those above do little favor, they are similar to giving you the ohms and sensitivity of a headphone and then nothing else. No CSDs for cables out there. So actually it's the cable data that's not "scientific" enough to convince more consumers.

As for the Sony stock they are measured low in C because their conductors are so thin and there is no twist. Therefore its C is only comparably low among those microphone cables you mentioned (they have conductors of like 24awg but Sony stock is only approximately 34+awg). So it's not a well constructed cable with conductors of 34awg; its C could be significantly lower, or it could be twisted for more shielding while its C won't increase. It's not easy to read the cable sound from its data, at least you need to look at its construction.
---
And from my personal view all the factors discussed above have NOTHING to do with the treble harshness of the stock; it's from the material - a weird pure copper for hot, silver plated for cold hybrid. Switched to all pure copper or all silver plated instantly smooth out the harshness by a large amount. I admit I can't explain this properly and can't say it can pass the blind A/B so I'm not expecting anyone would believe this.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #3,702 of 9,645
I won't oppose you on claiming the cable market should be more scientific since they are not at all as you pointed. Just the datasheets like those above do little favor, they are similar to giving you the ohms and sensitivity of a headphone and then nothing else. No CSDs for cables out there. So actually it's the cable data that's not "scientific" enough to convince more consumers.

As for the Sony stock they are measured low in C because their conductors are so thin and there is no twist. Therefore its C is only comparably low among those microphone cables you mentioned (they have conductors of like 24awg but Sony stock is only approximately 34+awg). So it's not a well constructed cable with conductors of 34awg; its C could be significantly lower, or it could be twisted for more shielding while its C won't increase. It's not easy to read the cable sound from its data, at least you need to look at its construction.
---
And from my personal view all the factors discussed above have NOTHING to do with the treble harshness of the stock; it's from the material - a weird pure copper for hot, silver plated for cold hybrid. Switched to all pure copper or all silver plated instantly smooth out the harshness by a large amount. I admit I can't explain this properly and can't say it can pass the blind A/B so I'm not expecting anyone would believe this.

Interesting. I presume you dissected the stock cable in order to find out that info?

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #3,704 of 9,645
I've been out of the headphone game for a long time, but I'll be receiving my Z1Rs tomorrow (first full-sized headphone in a long, long time). I'm coming from the AKG K701 (which was a TOTL model when I took a break from the hobby). Looking forward to the Sonys!
Welcome back to the hobby. Hope you enjoy your new Sony’s! They are a great all round headphone.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #3,705 of 9,645
I've been out of the headphone game for a long time, but I'll be receiving my Z1Rs tomorrow (first full-sized headphone in a long, long time). I'm coming from the AKG K701 (which was a TOTL model when I took a break from the hobby). Looking forward to the Sonys!

Be prepared for a very different sound :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back