Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #4,967 of 8,249
For those who were asking, here is Chameleon 2.0 The only firmware that allows you to switch models within the player and experience complete stock sound of 1Z on 1A. No external tuning. Just remember to re-install this firmware everytime you switch the model in the player. This is important to ensure stock sound of your selected model.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U0E36j_TP_mto0iw7bJtnIFOMCfv2rjE/view?usp=sharing

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #4,968 of 8,249
For those who were asking, here is Chameleon 2.0 The only firmware that allows you to switch models within the player and experience complete stock sound of 1Z on 1A. No external tuning. Just remember to re-install this firmware everytime you switch the model in the player. This is important to ensure stock sound of your selected model.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U0E36j_TP_mto0iw7bJtnIFOMCfv2rjE/view?usp=sharing
The two best FW mods to date FEv2 and chameleon 2.0

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #4,969 of 8,249
The two best FW mods to date FEv2 and chameleon 2.0
I tend to give FEv2 the edge as no need to reload the CFW on changing from Classic to Plus and to my ear FEv2 is more refined.

Q-6

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #4,970 of 8,249
I tend to give FEv2 the edge as no need to reload the CFW on changing from Classic to Plus and to my ear FEv2 is more refined.

Q-6
I’m gonna have to give FEv2 another try now that I’ve switched from J to E

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,971 of 8,249

Q-6
In order to give you some sort of impression, when I switched from Midnight v3 (the test) on reg.J to FEv2 on reg.E, the very first thing to hit me was: wow, where did al that dynamics come from, not the sound signature, but the pure presence of more dynamics! And the bass......it delivers when called for!

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,972 of 8,249
Yeah, if @MrWalkman does come back, I'd love to see if FEv2 can be improved upon. I have my doubts, hahaha.

I'm basically at the point that if I desire something "better"/different, I need to look at other DAPs (which I am loathe to do for various reasons, but mostly Android related), or maybe a hardware mod of the WM1A (very unlikely as I do not have the skill set, nor do I feel like shipping it off internationally for such work). It's hard to believe I'd like a CFW implementation any more than I like FEv2, but I've been around this game awhile, so I know better than to say that with certainty.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,973 of 8,249
Is there a possibility we're on the verge of the earth's poles flipping?
Gone will be the recommendation for new 1A/1Z owners to burn in, then change to J and install Dawn or Midnight? Will region E and FEv2 or even Chameleon be a new way forward?
For years going from an A15 > ZX100 > ZX300 > WM1A I had a more or less standardised Sony sound and opted for direct source - I have preferences for tunings but quite enjoy being able to change and adapt to a different sound, be it technically more accurate or just sweet to my ears.
Cheers Mr Walkman :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #4,975 of 8,249
Hi guys! I have finally joined the crew. Bought a WM1Z to go with my new Denon AH-D9200. Any other users use that combo? Im starting out with the Dawn mod.

Also, will the mods affect the longevity of these products in any way?
Congrats on your purchase. I’m confident it will give you years of listening enjoyment.
And yes, the custom firmware will indeed affect the longevity of the Walkman. It makes it so good that you never want to give it up and will want to use it all the time, till the end of time.
1625806438879.png

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #4,976 of 8,249
haha
Congrats on your purchase. I’m confident it will give you years of listening enjoyment.
And yes, the custom firmware will indeed affect the longevity of the Walkman. It makes it so good that you never want to give it up and will want to use it all the time, till the end of time. 1625806438879.png
hahaha I'm very much looking forward to it. Getting through medical school will be a lot easier with these...

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #4,977 of 8,249
Hi guys! I have finally joined the crew. Bought a WM1Z to go with my new Denon AH-D9200. Any other users use that combo? Im starting out with the Dawn mod.

Also, will the mods affect the longevity of these products in any way?
I have a 1A and owned the D5200 which sounded awesome as a pairing and had me appreciate overheads in a new way. My intention was to go for the 9200 but a local secondhand bargain for the MDR-Z1R had me deviate off that path. I don't think the Denon D5200/7200/9200 have a vastly different signature so they should go well. The beauty of the Walkmans is you can change regions and firmwares to steer it to your liking.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #4,978 of 8,249
I have a 1A and owned the D5200 which sounded awesome as a pairing and had me appreciate overheads in a new way. My intention was to go for the 9200 but a local secondhand bargain for the MDR-Z1R had me deviate off that path. I don't think the Denon D5200/7200/9200 have a vastly different signature so they should go well. The beauty of the Walkmans is you can change regions and firmwares to steer it to your liking.

Glad to hear! The 9200 is quite different from the Z1R. I don't think one is inherently better than the other - all about preference.

Comfort goes to Z1R
Build quality goes to 9200
Sound:
- Technical performance go to 9200
- Soundstage go to Z1R
- Imaging is tied
- Bass impact go to Z1R
-Bass quality goes to 9200
-Mids and treble go to 9200

I loved the Z1R when I had it and will almost surely pick up a Z1RMk2 or Z2R if and when they drop. I chose to get the 1Z now because it was only 1400 USD mint from a local guy and I dont want an android operating system long-term. Too much PTSD from android smart phones lagging up after a couple of years.

Does anyone have experience with the Sony Kimber Cable working with Denon 9200s or any other headphones for that matter? Is it only made for Z1R?

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #4,979 of 8,249
Yeah, if @MrWalkman does come back, I'd love to see if FEv2 can be improved upon. I have my doubts, hahaha.

I'm basically at the point that if I desire something "better"/different, I need to look at other DAPs (which I am loathe to do for various reasons, but mostly Android related), or maybe a hardware mod of the WM1A (very unlikely as I do not have the skill set, nor do I feel like shipping it off internationally for such work). It's hard to believe I'd like a CFW implementation any more than I like FEv2, but I've been around this game awhile, so I know better than to say that with certainty.

I'm on the same FEv2/E and feel anything else will require another DAP - thankfully more than happy with the 1A!

One thing which is probably not communicated well is there is more than enough warmth in this CFW. The Traillii sounds epic.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #4,980 of 8,249
Glad to hear! The 9200 is quite different from the Z1R. I don't think one is inherently better than the other - all about preference.

Comfort goes to Z1R
Build quality goes to 9200
Sound:
- Technical performance go to 9200
- Soundstage go to Z1R
- Imaging is tied
- Bass impact go to Z1R
-Bass quality goes to 9200
-Mids and treble go to 9200

I loved the Z1R when I had it and will almost surely pick up a Z1RMk2 or Z2R if and when they drop. I chose to get the 1Z now because it was only 1400 USD mint from a local guy and I dont want an android operating system long-term. Too much PTSD from android smart phones lagging up after a couple of years.

Does anyone have experience with the Sony Kimber Cable working with Denon 9200s or any other headphones for that matter? Is it only made for Z1R?
I might not have worded it well, I meant my D5200 and the D7200 and D9200 may share a similar overall signature. Love the wood cups.

When I purchased my D5200 in Japan I also picked up a 4.4mm cable to use with my ZX300 I was using at the time. It was a quality Japanese brand but was designed for portable devices so was quite thin. I've experienced improvements with upgrade cables before so always wanted to try a higher quality cable with a thicker guage, I got a really low priced Sony Kimber cable off a local auction site.
The screw connectors pull back and the 3.5mm connectors fit well, I had no issues.
For my D5200 I swear the Sony Kimber gave it a more weighty sound with a lot more detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back