Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #2,251 of 8,217
In the meantime I'll be enjoying my music, more to the point feeling it, as this endless debate continues, for no other reason than I can...

I think that the inevitable conclusion here is....

To each his own.

It doesn't really matter, as long as you're happy with the Walkman's sound. I know I am.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #2,252 of 8,217
I appreciate long term listening may be required to hear subtle differences but I was expecting noticeable tonal changes between regions. Somebody mentioned the CN region was plus 8db at 8khz! I can hear plus 0.5db changes in the equaliser so how can I miss that? I’m not saying it doesn’t exist but I can’t hear it. I admit I’ve probably got expectation bias of not hearing the changes but my ears are never wrong either and I can’t hear any difference. Maybe my Walkman is ignoring the region change despite indicating it’s set.
Whether you hear a change or not is not a big deal, and nothing to worry about. The next question is what, and how you are listening. The changes being discussed are small changes, in the details, and not a major tonal change.
If listening in general, and not focusing on a particular detail of the sound, then you may not notice anything
If listening to analyze particular details, then you may notice the change. i.e. listen to familiar tracks, for specific details
- bass - impact, detail. Is there more or less sub bass. Are the bass notes a "thump", or there is detail, and you can feel that it is a bass kick drum note. An example is listening to a Bose system with resonant bass, where there is a lot of volume, but no details. The energy is attractive, but there are no details, and it can be overpowering, and not musical. Then listen to a more "normal" audio system, and hear more realistic bass notes, faster, more clearly defined, detailed. Impact/speed that you can feel. Enjoyable in a different way.
- vocals - the inflection of the voice, is it detailed, or details are blurred/non-existent? Hear the vocal shifts, where the voice is like a musical instrument? Does the voice pull you in, or leave you with a feeling of it being background / "elevator" music.
- background/single instrument tones, piano, guitar, etc. Are they richer, with more harmonics, and even simple notes can communicate musicality, or blurred together, buried in the background, and un-interesting. I find this the hardest area to quantify. But on some systems, I find simple notes so rich that it makes the song, and on others, they don't do very much at all. Just background notes that I barely notice.
- stage - does the stage seem more solid, background noises in a live recording seem real, and 3-dimensional. Can it create a space, or is everything merged together.

All the above have a close relationship to micro details/micro dynamics. If these are depressed, or blurred, or non-existent, then the above characteristics are lessened, or disappear altogether. Also, the system, and synergy, is a giant component. As are the individual ears/brain doing the interpretation.

In the end, though, this hobby has to do with whether you are enjoying the music that your system creates. If you are enjoying it, then nothing more needs to be said.

And the standard caveat, that this is just a personal, and subjective viewpoint.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #2,253 of 8,217
Whether you hear a change or not is not a big deal, and nothing to worry about. The next question is what, and how you are listening. The changes being discussed are small changes, in the details, and not a major tonal change.
If listening in general, and not focusing on a particular detail of the sound, then you may not notice anything
If listening to analyze particular details, then you may notice the change. i.e. listen to familiar tracks, for specific details
- bass - impact, detail. Is there more or less sub bass. Are the bass notes a "thump", or there is detail, and you can feel that it is a bass kick drum note. An example is listening to a Bose system with resonant bass, where there is a lot of volume, but no details. The energy is attractive, but there are no details, and it can be overpowering, and not musical. Then listen to a more "normal" audio system, and hear more realistic bass notes, faster, more clearly defined, detailed. Impact/speed that you can feel. Enjoyable in a different way.
- vocals - the inflection of the voice, is it detailed, or details are blurred/non-existent? Hear the vocal shifts, where the voice is like a musical instrument? Does the voice pull you in, or leave you with a feeling of it being background / "elevator" music.
- background/single instrument tones, piano, guitar, etc. Are they richer, with more harmonics, and even simple notes can communicate musicality, or blurred together, buried in the background, and un-interesting. I find this the hardest area to quantify. But on some systems, I find simple notes so rich that it makes the song, and on others, they don't do very much at all. Just background notes that I barely notice.
- stage - does the stage seem more solid, background noises in a live recording seem real, and 3-dimensional. Can it create a space, or is everything merged together.

All the above have a close relationship to micro details/micro dynamics. If these are depressed, or blurred, or non-existent, then the above characteristics are lessened, or disappear altogether. Also, the system, and synergy, is a giant component. As are the individual ears/brain doing the interpretation.

In the end, though, this hobby has to do with whether you are enjoying the music that your system creates. If you are enjoying it, then nothing more needs to be said.

And the standard caveat, that this is just a personal, and subjective viewpoint.
Exactly this. As i said before, its a small but very real difference. If you don't know what to listen for (or can't appreciate the changes) you won't notice the difference.

As I like to say, people use headphones to listen to the music, audiophiles use music to listen to the headphones.
In the meantime I'll be enjoying my music, more to the point feeling it, as this endless debate continues, for no other reason than I can...

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #2,254 of 8,217
Only question is where do you stand?
I'd just like to see more "normal" opinions, not only ones from seasoned audiophiles and hardcore fanboys.
Because sometimes new guy comes to the discussion, sees that every one is crazy there, and thinks it must be something wrong with him then.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #2,255 of 8,217
As I like to say, people use headphones to listen to the music, audiophiles use music to listen to the headphones.

100% agree, music lovers and audiophiles are very different animals, occasionally they cross over. Be assured regardless of cost and kudos your gear is worthless without one defining factor - Music...

Doubts? just look at how very few references there are to music across multiple forums? nor does this site encourage. As for me I don't need a spec sheet or hype I only need music and my own thoughts. One would like to think a site dedicated to portable music would have a focus on the same, guess not..

Q-6

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,256 of 8,217
Because sometimes new guy comes to the discussion, sees that every one is crazy there, and thinks it must be something wrong with him then

Then maybe they need to make up their own mind rather than following the crowd.

Besides, even if some people can indeed hear the difference they describe, or not hear the difference being described, how does it impinge on your enjoyment of your gear again?

I have no problem with the notion of not being able to perceive sonic differences between regions per se. Where I take issue is when one tries incessantly, like an annoying child, to convince others that they must be wrong because he has it all figured out and there cannot possibly be anything that contradicts his conclusion but then refuses to allow his methodology to be evaluated.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,257 of 8,217
I'd just like to see more "normal" opinions, not only ones from seasoned audiophiles and hardcore fanboys.
Because sometimes new guy comes to the discussion, sees that every one is crazy there, and thinks it must be something wrong with him then.

TBH first and foremost I'm a lover of music who appreciates modern day hardware and all it attributes as a means to an end. Now we get into it far too many are hooked up on numbers, one-upmanship, elitism and pissing on others and I include myself, as we can and do all too easily get lost in the moment.

For me the hardware is very secondary, the music is everything....

Q-6

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2,258 of 8,217
For me when selecting equipment I look for the does it ’rock’ factor. If it sets my foot tapping and has a decent bass and treble response I’m happy. To me the Sony Walkmans do that on all regions so I’m afraid the subtleties are lost on me. To give context in the hi-fi world I enjoy Naim systems which are renowned for pace rhyrhm and timing and not so much the details.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #2,259 of 8,217
Sometimes it depends on gears and setup.

Usually IEM pickup the difference easier than cans.

For region E and J, I did hear J is more fuller at the bottom.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,260 of 8,217
Ditto. Charts and graphs are total crap to me. I never believe them and could care less what they say. God gave me a pair of ears. A pair of ears that loves music more than life itself. I’m a music lover and only listen to what I like, notwhat is popular and only buy gear that I like, not because those useless reviewers sing praises to it like there’s no tomorrow. I never make a buying decision based on what those useless reviewers say anyway.
So in summary, just enjoy music the way you like and let’s your ears decide if they like what you hear. Simple as that. Don’t let a forum or a bloody graph determine that. Cheers.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #2,261 of 8,217
Yes it is all about the music, the gear is just the means to listen. I have 2 Walkman rigs, one with the A55 and lets say the qJays V2 and the other is the hw modded 1Z with IER-Z1R. While there is no doubt the second is clearly supirior if I sit and switch between them, the first gives me just as much musical joy and after a day listening to it I forget that the second is better. The first cost about $400 and the second $4000 so 10 times as much but I would have been happy with either and not felt that I was missing any enjoyment if I couldn’t have afforded to buy the second. And at any rate I have many, many more times money invested in my music than my gear

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2,262 of 8,217
Yes it is all about the music, the gear is just the means to listen.
This is the key. Even I got WM1Z, I still listen to my iPhone with the (standard item by Apple) lightning to headphone adapter for casual (and convenient) listening. Noticeable difference? Definitely. Unacceptable? No. As long as I can enjoy the music, all else is nothing......

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,263 of 8,217
This is the key. Even I got WM1Z, I still listen to my iPhone with the (standard item by Apple) lightning to headphone adapter for casual (and convenient) listening. Noticeable difference? Definitely. Unacceptable? No. As long as I can enjoy the music, all else is nothing......
I recently acquired a relatively inexpensive IEM, the Blon 01. And the sound of it directly off my 6 year old iPod nano is breathtaking to say the least. What musicality, what bass, what clarity. Oh the joy!

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2,264 of 8,217
I recently acquired a relatively inexpensive IEM, the Blon 01. And the sound of it directly off my 6 year old iPod nano is breathtaking to say the least. What musicality, what bass, what clarity. Oh the joy!

My 14 year old A1136 is still alive and kicking, curious how Apple could once produce hardware with such longevity? The 10 year old MacBook Pro next to this PC is also firing on all cylinders, occasionally I use it on an engineering project, people are stunned when I tell them it's fast closing on being a decade old, untouched and 100% stock.... Such a shame Apple sold out, Jobs would be truly pissed at these greedy old men...

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,265 of 8,217
My 14 year old A1136 is still alive and kicking, curious how Apple could once produce hardware with such longevity. The 10 year old MacBook Pro next to this PC is also firing on all cylinders, shame they sold out...

Q-6

The iPod with the best DAC right there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back