Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #8,056 of 8,332
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #8,057 of 8,332
That is the main installer so that is the correct one to start with. Are you 100% certain that you have a stock fw installed on your dap, try looking in the Unit information screen in the gui ?
Well, I did buy it second hand but I don't think anything's been installed on it previously. That's the Unit Information I can see in the settings:

"Model: NW-A50Series"
"System Software: 1.02 2018 Sony Corporation"
And the rest is just the amount of space I've left

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #8,058 of 8,332
Well, I did buy it second hand but I don't think anything's been installed on it previously. That's the Unit Information I can see in the settings:

"Model: NW-A50Series"
"System Software: 1.02 2018 Sony Corporation"
And the rest is just the amount of space I've left
That certainly looks stock. The only thing I’ve got left to offer is to try to run the stock reverter in the StockRevert folder and see if you have any luck with that.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #8,060 of 8,332
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #8,061 of 8,332
Whenever I try to run the installer (A55) it gives me a message that I should connect the player with a usb, but it's already connected. I've tried every usb port I have and 2 different cables. Mass storage is turned on and I can transfer files to it without any problem. Any advice?
Windows? Does anything show in the device manager when the A55 is connected?

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #8,062 of 8,332
I just bought some new Sandisk 1.5TB and those are working fine with the WM1A with MrWalkman firmware.. which makes 1.628 TB available with internal memory
It took nearly 24 hours to record 1.3Tb of Flac and Dsd files on the micro SD card, but the WM1A could manage the library quite quickly... and plays perfectly all my playlists
I am not sure my combo WM1A with a Z1R will become obsolete soon........particularly if I connect when needed the WM1A though USB port to my Z Fold5 for Qobuzz/Neutron/UAPP..
Maybe I have never used any portable audio devices such a long time in my life (from 2018 - 2024 ...) and was never convinced like I am with this combo b any of the portable devices I bought every years since then.

1707247076124.png

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #8,064 of 8,332
Using a card-reader to transfer files is MUCH faster than putting the card in the player and transfer thus. AFAIK on the players you get only USB2 speeds and the readers are USB3 or faster.
Of course I used a usb-c card reader .. and not the wm1a. It's just much slower than my usual sandisk 1Tb microSD with the same card reader.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #8,066 of 8,332
A quick look on Amazon show the 1.5TB cards are U1, which explains the slow write speed. Absolutely need U3 if you're going that big
It's only an issue of you are going to keep writing multiple large files. So for most users it's a non-issue, as they won't be erasing and copying over a 1TB multiple times.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #8,067 of 8,332
It's only an issue of you are going to keep writing multiple large files. So for most users it's a non-issue, as they won't be erasing and copying over a 1TB multiple times.
My 128gb U1 card (kingston) writes barely faster with a USB-C adapter than going direct to the A55. My 128GB U3 (silicon power) smokes them both using the same USB-C adapter. I wouldn't even consider using U1 for card bigger than 128GB just based on how long it takes to fill the card. I suppose if you're only going to copy files to the card once and leave them forever, the wait might be OK, but I'm constantly changing my music up and I'm not a patient as I used to be.
But of course, YMMV

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #8,068 of 8,332
My 128gb U1 card (kingston) writes barely faster with a USB-C adapter than going direct to the A55. My 128GB U3 (silicon power) smokes them both using the same USB-C adapter. I wouldn't even consider using U1 for card bigger than 128GB just based on how long it takes to fill the card. I suppose if you're only going to copy files to the card once and leave them forever, the wait might be OK, but I'm constantly changing my music up and I'm not a patient as I used to be.
But of course, YMMV

It's a few years now I am using 1Tb micro SD card .. I use Windows Synctoy or Android Syncthing to synchronize music from my Synlogy NAS .. even with loads of playlists changing, it concerns never more than 50 GB at once ..
So with 1,6TB on the WM1A I expect it won't be a pain, too, to be sticked to a low transfer rate between my NAS and it should be the same with the Z Fold5 (1TB internal memory).
With a 1.5 micro SD and 1TB Smartphone, I think I won't use my power hungry SSD (2tb and 4Tb) any more for some 26 hours overseas trips.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #8,069 of 8,332
But of course, YMMV
I copied all my music over and yes that took about 24 hours for 1,3TB but in the future I’ll only be copying over when I buy something new so it’s a non issue for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back