Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #8,011 of 8,227
Hi,

Couple questions:

With just the latest Walkman One installed on a WM1A, how much is the gap between a 1A and a 1Z today ?

Can I really reproduce the 1Z sound signature on the 1A ?

Is there anything (in terms of sound (techs (details, soundstage, bass decay etc))) that a 1Z does noticible better than a WM1A with 1Z signature on a Walkman One FW ?
Based on what people shared here, yes you can reproduce 1Z sound signature on 1A using MrWalkman firmware.
Also based on what people shared here, 1Z has 10% improvement over 1A

I do not have exact the link to the exact post.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #8,012 of 8,227
Is there any update for the Mr.Walkman mod J3Region (Walkman_One_J123_(07_03)? it seems not final if see the word "test" (Walkman_One_J_Test_(03_03).exe), and also files do not contain the folder StockRevert as usual,
There has been no update for close to 1 1/2 years now

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #8,013 of 8,227
Hi,

Couple questions:

With just the latest Walkman One installed on a WM1A, how much is the gap between a 1A and a 1Z today ?

Can I really reproduce the 1Z sound signature on the 1A ?

Is there anything (in terms of sound (techs (details, soundstage, bass decay etc))) that a 1Z does noticible better than a WM1A with 1Z signature on a Walkman One FW ?
I have both and run the same configuration on both, Region J3, Plus v2 and 1Z tuning.

The difference is the 1Z has a larger soundstage and extends lower giving it a deeper more detailed bass. The 1A has a warmer more prominent bass. It's evident in the upper bass region where it has more slam or impact. So if you are a basshead, the 1A is the better choice.

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #8,016 of 8,227
I think it is relative to which sound signature. MX3 is too thick for WM1Z, but for WM1A it is still fine and enhances the clarity but because WM1A boosts upper mid, the sound becomes unnatural for some specific sound (Taylor Swift's Welcome to New York, 1989 D.L.X). CEV gives a more natural timbre on that edge case, but still unsure whether it is the sound that I want. I wish J3 is available for WM1A stock sound, wink @MrWalkman . I imagined J3, V2, Alt DAC id going to be a great sound comparable to WM1AM2

Have you tried CEW/CEW2 region ? the region changing tools mentioned that it exists but no mention about it on mindstorm's file.
im aware of that now:expressionless: CEW2 sound svery compressed,cleaner than CEW very Polite never loses temper it enfatizes voices and solos and maybe suitale for very efficient Iems or heaphones and classical music also rock since its not superdinamic..

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #8,017 of 8,227
Quick question, is it possible for there to be a custom firmware feature to be added where you can create a temporary queue? (Similar to roon or spotify play next/add to queue). It's the only qualm I have with the Sony firmware.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #8,018 of 8,227
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #8,019 of 8,227
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #8,020 of 8,227
I have both and run the same configuration on both, Region J3, Plus v2 and 1Z tuning.

The difference is the 1Z has a larger soundstage and extends lower giving it a deeper more detailed bass. The 1A has a warmer more prominent bass. It's evident in the upper bass region where it has more slam or impact. So if you are a basshead, the 1A is the better choice.
I'm sorry, I didn't quite got that, you said the 1Z "extended lower and with more details within the bass", but still you recommend the 1A if bass is the main priority, is that correct or a typo ?

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #8,021 of 8,227
I'm sorry, I didn't quite got that, you said the 1Z "extended lower and with more details within the bass", but still you recommend the 1A if bass is the main priority, is that correct or a typo ?
That is correct. The 1Z has lower bass details but the 1A has more bass slam without details.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #8,022 of 8,227
That is correct. The 1Z has lower bass details but the 1A has more bass slam without details.
How about trying WM1A with firmware 3.01 and region CEW ? for bass I think it is enough

According to my ears, here are the differences between WM1A and WM1Z
1. Bass, yes 1Z is deeper with more texture, but you can have it in 1A with 3.01 and CEV region
2. Mid, 1A mid is more forward than 1Z, it is like inside your head.
3. Treble, 1A got a bump in presence area, while 1Z got a bump on brilliance area

In terms of tonal balance, you can get 1Z inside 1A, but not the other way around. RIght now I am using stock 3.01 with CEV region, that means I am choosing forward mids and good bass texture over brilliance. But if you have the budget, it is worth collecting both, together with the IER-M9 and Z1R.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #8,023 of 8,227
How about trying WM1A with firmware 3.01 and region CEW ? for bass I think it is enough

According to my ears, here are the differences between WM1A and WM1Z
1. Bass, yes 1Z is deeper with more texture, but you can have it in 1A with 3.01 and CEV region
2. Mid, 1A mid is more forward than 1Z, it is like inside your head.
3. Treble, 1A got a bump in presence area, while 1Z got a bump on brilliance area

In terms of tonal balance, you can get 1Z inside 1A, but not the other way around. RIght now I am using stock 3.01 with CEV region, that means I am choosing forward mids and good bass texture over brilliance. But if you have the budget, it is worth collecting both, together with the IER-M9 and Z1R.
I don't understand why people select firmware Z1 for A1. Z1 doesn't have the dynamics and speed of bass that A1. For me, it's a choice for the worst sound For me, it's a choice for worse sound albeit with more detail. I also using 3.01 😎

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #8,024 of 8,227
I don't understand why people select firmware Z1 for A1. Z1 doesn't have the dynamics and speed of bass that A1. For me, it's a choice for the worst sound For me, it's a choice for worse sound albeit with more detail. I also using 3.01 😎
Nothing to understand. Taste is taste and everyone has his/her own.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #8,025 of 8,227
Nothing to understand. Taste is taste and everyone has his/her own.
Well put. I loved the sound of my stock 1A. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. It’s not a cheap device mind you. But the custom firmware changes the sound signature and by adjusting all the various parameters to your liking, you can actually find a sound that you love and sticks. I’ve found that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back