Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 14, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #7,666 of 8,248
Highly recommend 7 Hertz Timeless with CEW region. It got really good dynamic, so effin fast speed and transient, and thundering, rattling subbass. Timbre is superb A++. If you have better cables, it will perform so much better. Dynamic and bass is slightly less than Fir M5 with Eletech Illiad cable, but it can hold its own. With right tips, jvc spiral tips and cables and right synergy with CEW region, I’m pretty confident nothing below $1-1.5k can touch this. I would categorize Timeless with right tips, cables and CEW region to Fir NE4 iem in sound performance, not too far maybe about 90-95%

Thank you Tawek for recommending me CEW region. I adore the sound

And FYI, Fir Audio is the real deal
Just swapped to CEW, and I agree with you, really really good with the Timeless!

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,667 of 8,248
Just swapped to CEW, and I agree with you, really really good with the Timeless!
I forgot to tell you, I used equalizer, it makes the sound even better:

settings
tone controls
31 -1.5
62 -3.5
4k -1.5

Personally I like more subbass, and since it never spill to other frequencies, I use 31 - 2.5 to 3.5

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #7,668 of 8,248
High gain in txt settings + plus mode v2 is king.

using MX3 region.

I highly, highly recommend anyone who hasn't tried high gain + plus mode v2 to try it now, it's absolutely incredible!
Yeah been there, now on normal WM1Z with high gain and J3, was in V2 at December and just realized that plus mode offers a different version of tuning, so I think it is better for me to memorize the normal mode signature sound and even compare it with a real 1Z before retrying V2
Is it me or mr walkman firmware offers a better battery lifetime ?

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #7,669 of 8,248
Yeah been there, now on normal WM1Z with high gain and J3, was in V2 at December and just realized that plus mode offers a different version of tuning, so I think it is better for me to memorize the normal mode signature sound and even compare it with a real 1Z before retrying V2
Is it me or mr walkman firmware offers a better battery lifetime ?
Fair, I also added dac initialization = 1 to the mix, it is a tad too sharp with J and J3 but with MX3 it works reaaaally well.

To me plus mode V2 adds worth but also a lot of 3D and makes reverb detail very vivid (for example, black sabbath solitude, ozzy's vocals have a very pronounced and beautiful reverb with plus mode V2 which is barely noticable with normal mode)

High gain in txt settings just improves vividness and dynamics, although now with dac initialization, compared to normal gain I'll need to A/B it further because dac initialization really boosts depth details, from my perception, using mdr 1am2.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #7,670 of 8,248
Further playing with settings, trying to figure out what works best for me.

Tried dac initialization lately and was very pleasently surprised, last time I tried it a felt it brightened the sound a lot, for some reason this time around that is not the case.

While I did swear by the high gain in txt settings in my last posts, once dac initialization is activated I find that I prefer to revert back to normal gain. I still think that high gain helps normal dac mode.

Dac initialization + plus mode v2 along with mx3 to me (using low gain in wm1a settings), gives me a sound that very much reminds me of when I had the n6ii e01 and went from class A/B to class A, the blurry lines are not blurry anymore, music works in unity, details are effortless, dynamics and overall sound is more palatable and coherency is greatly improved (along with imaging). I get a much better sense of the bigger picture, and percieved distortion seems to drop much lower.

I think it still works well with higher gains, but it loses some of it's overall magic, even though you get better dynamics and more clarity, things get pushed forward a bit too much and it's harder to see the bigger picture that way.

Overall very pleasently surprised :) I guess at this point it's not a setting I would say "this is the one" because of knowing that there are certain settings and possibilities that may improve my experience in the future. However I urge the reader to try DIM = 1 if you haven't.

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #7,672 of 8,248
If the m2 models ever get unlocked would mrwalkman software be possible to install on them? I think the only thing I'm truly missing with the M1 is the curiousity of dsee ultimate and dsd remastering.

I also wonder how dsee AI compares to ultimate, as I do seem to like dsee AI when using my wm1a M1 (especially with dac initialization = 1) and am having a bit of FOMO (fear of missing out) with the new tech. It's a real shame it's android.)

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #7,673 of 8,248
If the m2 models ever get unlocked would mrwalkman software be possible to install on them? I think the only thing I'm truly missing with the M1 is the curiousity of dsee ultimate and dsd remastering.

I also wonder how dsee AI compares to ultimate, as I do seem to like dsee AI when using my wm1a M1 (especially with dac initialization = 1) and am having a bit of FOMO (fear of missing out) with the new tech. It's a real shame it's android.)
It is a totally different software, Mr Walkman has to create another from scratch

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #7,675 of 8,248

No, totally different platform, both sw and hw

Apr 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,676 of 8,248
Further playing with settings, trying to figure out what works best for me.

Tried dac initialization lately and was very pleasently surprised, last time I tried it a felt it brightened the sound a lot, for some reason this time around that is not the case.

While I did swear by the high gain in txt settings in my last posts, once dac initialization is activated I find that I prefer to revert back to normal gain. I still think that high gain helps normal dac mode.

Dac initialization + plus mode v2 along with mx3 to me (using low gain in wm1a settings), gives me a sound that very much reminds me of when I had the n6ii e01 and went from class A/B to class A, the blurry lines are not blurry anymore, music works in unity, details are effortless, dynamics and overall sound is more palatable and coherency is greatly improved (along with imaging). I get a much better sense of the bigger picture, and percieved distortion seems to drop much lower.

I think it still works well with higher gains, but it loses some of it's overall magic, even though you get better dynamics and more clarity, things get pushed forward a bit too much and it's harder to see the bigger picture that way.

Overall very pleasently surprised :) I guess at this point it's not a setting I would say "this is the one" because of knowing that there are certain settings and possibilities that may improve my experience in the future. However I urge the reader to try DIM = 1 if you haven't.
Do you still use WM1Z signature sound ?

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #7,678 of 8,248
Is the installation step same for the Japanese stock firmware of wm1a? @MrWalkman
Installing WalkmanOne and uninstalling it is a 2 step operation (one for the basic fw and one for the tuning) and it is important to read and follow the instructions.

Installing a different stock fw on top of another stock fw is a 1 step operation and there is no uninstallation.

And there is no such thing as a Japanese stock fw, just a generic stock fw and then a tool (not from Sony) to change the region.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #7,679 of 8,248
Installing WalkmanOne and uninstalling it is a 2 step operation (one for the basic fw and one for the tuning) and it is important to read and follow the instructions.

Installing a different stock fw on top of another stock fw is a 1 step operation and there is no uninstallation.

And there is no such thing as a Japanese stock fw, just a generic stock fw and then a tool (not from Sony) to change the region.
It appears the language stayed the same after installing walkman one.

Could you please instruct me on how to change the region(language)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back