Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #7,622 of 8,232
Is there really no way around the creating database part of start up? This is the one thing holding me back from buying a 1TB card cause it will take forever to start it up. Leaving it on between is not an option cause. Sometimes I use it everyday and then it can go weeks and I never know really.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #7,623 of 8,232
Is there really no way around the creating database part of start up? This is the one thing holding me back from buying a 1TB card cause it will take forever to start it up. Leaving it on between is not an option cause. Sometimes I use it everyday and then it can go weeks and I never know really.
There is no way

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #7,624 of 8,232
21 sec with 98% of 1TB

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #7,625 of 8,232
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #7,626 of 8,232
Just keep it on, then no database is going to be created

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #7,628 of 8,232
21 sec with 98% of 1TB
Takes considerably longer for my A55, ZX300 or 1Z with 1TB and about 60.000 tracks, but I hardly ever turn any of them off

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #7,629 of 8,232
21 sec with 98% of 1TB
Takes considerably longer for my A55, ZX300 or 1Z with 1TB and about 60.000 tracks, but I hardly ever turn any of them off
My Sandisk Extreme 1TB is about 60% which is around 25 seconds.
I wonder what factors make the most impact on time: card read speed, types of files, the data tagged to the files (tagged with art vs folder picture), number of files, individual file size (hi-res vs mp3)?

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #7,630 of 8,232
My Sandisk Extreme 1TB is about 60% which is around 25 seconds.
I wonder what factors make the most impact on time: card read speed, types of files, the data tagged to the files (tagged with art vs folder picture), number of files, individual file size (hi-res vs mp3)?
I would assume number of files to be scanned would be the primary factor. I have about 60.000 files on my 98% full card, nearly all of them flac 16/44 fully tagged and it takes 2-3 minutes on building database if it has been turned of, shortest on 1Z and longest on A55

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #7,631 of 8,232
Now I'm listening on the stock firmware version 3.01 and i love her for good dynamics.
I'm currently on stock 3.02, because after a week on 3.01, it ended up as being just a bit too dark! I've got 60+ ears/hearing and love my midrange with a dynamic punch in the bass. That's all good and fine in 3.02.
What the Walkman One has given me, is a reestablished understanding of the sound that I like. Meaning going for a demand on juicy low end, for my metal music, but also a clear definition in the midrange to the better things in the Walkman One fw. And those are the much better treble, it's more naturel and sound just right. Then there's the unbelievable midrange, with a clear positioning of instruments. Good stuff. And that leaves me with the low end (bass), that I find a little bit too thin for my previous liking, but I try to adapt to that too.
I do think that Sony made their fw. for outdoor use (music on the go) and that is why the low end is a bit thicker (with more body as in 3.02)? It works perfectly for my use, biking to work!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #7,632 of 8,232
I'm currently on stock 3.02, because after a week on 3.01, it ended up as being just a bit too dark! I've got 60+ ears/hearing and love my midrange with a dynamic punch in the bass. That's all good and fine in 3.02.
What the Walkman One has given me, is a reestablished understanding of the sound that I like. Meaning going for a demand on juicy low end, for my metal music, but also a clear definition in the midrange to the better things in the Walkman One fw. And those are the much better treble, it's more naturel and sound just right. Then there's the unbelievable midrange, with a clear positioning of instruments. Good stuff. And that leaves me with the low end (bass), that I find a little bit too thin for my previous liking, but I try to adapt to that too.
I do think that Sony made their fw. for outdoor use (music on the go) and that is why the low end is a bit thicker (with more body)? It works perfectly for my use, biking to work!
It’s all about finding the combo that works for you. I almost exclusively use my 1Z stationary in bed at night when I travel and with the IER-Z1R with all sorts of music but mostly with classical including a lot of opera plus vocal jazz so the WalkmanOne config in my signature is what has worked best for me

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #7,635 of 8,232
Sub 10K tracks on a 512 card with the WM1A, mostly 24/96 vinyl rips hence the size. I dont mind the initial start-up scan. Push the button, insert the IEM's the scan is done, then let it rip....

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

If you dont know, you should...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back