Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #7,501 of 8,230
Ok I think I can wait a little longer, I just hope it's fixable
It's definitely fixable, you just need to get the player into DFU mode then flash the player with new FW. Sony's Linux based DAP's are near bullet proof baring a HW failure...

Q-6

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #7,503 of 8,230
My hardware: WM1A + VE8

I tried sound signature WM1Z + region MX3 + normal boot & gain & DAC. I think the bass is a little bit loud and the treble is a little bit piercing. This is tiring for long time listening.

Then I tried sound signature WM1Z + region J3 + normal boot & gain & DAC. I mostly like it but I think the treble is a bit recessed.

Can someone recommend a region between MX3 and J3?
Thanks.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #7,504 of 8,230

I tried sound signature WM1Z + region MX3 + normal boot & gain & DAC. I think the bass is a little bit loud and the treble is a little bit piercing. This is tiring for long time listening.

Then I tried sound signature WM1Z + region J3 + normal boot & gain & DAC. I mostly like it but I think the treble is a bit recessed.

Thanks.
Try the J3 combo with plus v2. That will increase the treble presence.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #7,505 of 8,230
Try the J3 combo with plus v2. That will increase the treble presence.
With your extensive experience would it ever be possible you might be able to create a simple spreadsheet as a general guide to the various combos? It needn't be too complex, just a basic steering for people looking for bass or treble emphasis that could start them in the right direction.

I've always felt it would be helpful to have at the start of the threads a list or links of various useful information eg. links to cases, cables (official or recommended third party), for this thread the updated firmware links, guides for region changes, troubleshooting etc. It would help newbies to access what they need quicker.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #7,507 of 8,230
With your extensive experience would it ever be possible you might be able to create a simple spreadsheet as a general guide to the various combos? It needn't be too complex, just a basic steering for people looking for bass or treble emphasis that could start them in the right direction.

I've always felt it would be helpful to have at the start of the threads a list or links of various useful information eg. links to cases, cables (official or recommended third party), for this thread the updated firmware links, guides for region changes, troubleshooting etc. It would help newbies to access what they need quicker.
It would be quite difficult to precisely say what these different settings do as different gear and most importantly different headphones react differently to these changes. While the basic signature will remain, the treble might be too piercing on a specific headphone or dac etc. These observations are based on my preferred listening signatures and gear. But maybe I’ll come up with a non definitive guide or something for newbies. Good suggestion.

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #7,508 of 8,230

Thanks.
Try J3, Bright, A Normal amplifier, turntable resonance. It is my setup right now.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #7,509 of 8,230
I have tried different regions many times when new opportunities and trends appear, but every time I return to CEW. For my ears and headphone park, this is the king of frequency balance and sound emotionality.

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #7,511 of 8,230
This is something fixable. If you don't believe me and you can't wait a bit, then I guess you can do whatever else you have in mind. Unfortunately I don't have time available only for this.

You basically restarted the player while it was resetting itself, even though it says on the screen to not do something like that...

Just let me know if you'll not have the player available anymore. Officially I guess that Sony would replace the player or something (not for free), I'm not sure that they made the necessary tools available to service points in order to solve something like this.
I will still have the player available, I'm just waiting for you to contact me when possible

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #7,512 of 8,230
I should make this post a sticky. 😂

I’ve tried dozens or maybe hundreds of combinations in my time of testing this firmware and for the warmest yet resolute sound, use the below settings and tell me how it works for you.

WM1Z signature, region on J or J3, plus mode 2, DAC mode normal
20230204_023750_HDR.jpg
This mixed with a tube amp is the answer. And wins the warm award. 👏

I have my tube amp and sony ex800st with tape mod with this setting on wm1a. Besides being light on the bass, it's pretty pleasing. 😁

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #7,514 of 8,230
There is a guide for the regions, but for combos .... I don't know.
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11924823.xlsx
Credit to @Mindstorms

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #7,515 of 8,230
Definitivamente es reparable, solo necesitas poner al jugador en modo DFU y luego mostrar el reproductor con un nuevo FW. Los DAP basados en Linux de Sony están a prueba de balas, lo que revela una falla de HW...

Q-6
Hello, do you know how to put the player in DFU mode, and change the FW?
Although what scares me the most is that the player appears in USB Massive for only 2-3 seconds on my Mac & PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back