Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #7,487 of 8,232
thoughts on KR3? I tried it a few days ago and thought the stereo separation was a bit weird but not in a bad way but it made instruments sound further apart. im unsure about the exact changes but i still enjoyed it. i got a high volume warning on it too, which I've never experienced lol. no high gain option on that either.

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #7,488 of 8,232
In my opinion, the TW region is the most thick and weighty in sound. As well as setting WM1Z.
The rest will be a spice that you can choose to taste.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #7,490 of 8,232
Jan 28, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #7,491 of 8,232
In my opinion, the TW region is the most thick and weighty in sound. As well as setting WM1Z.
The rest will be a spice that you can choose to taste.
Yeah, tried TW for a while previously but it was a bit too muddy in most of my jazz vocal tracks. The J or J3 is more resolute yet still has a warm sound to it.

Jan 28, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #7,492 of 8,232
Yeah, tried TW for a while previously but it was a bit too muddy in most of my jazz vocal tracks. The J or J3 is more resolute yet still has a warm sound to it.
May I ask what your perception of the difference between J and J3 is?

Jan 28, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #7,493 of 8,232
May I ask what your perception of the difference between J and J3 is?
Very very similar but J3 has more air in the sound if that makes sense. Slightly more open and separated. But very so slightly. Can be heard clearly especially in vocals tracks.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #7,494 of 8,232
Very very similar but J3 has more air in the sound if that makes sense. Slightly more open and separated. But very so slightly. Can be heard clearly especially in vocals tracks.
Thanks. I had very briefly switched back to J but preferred something about J3.
I still get overwhelmed when it comes to comparing regions and tunings with many different aspects to focus on.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #7,495 of 8,232
Thanks. I had very briefly switched back to J but preferred something about J3.
I still get overwhelmed when it comes to comparing regions and tunings with many different aspects to focus on.
I've now been stable on the config in my signature for about a year and just concentrate on enjoying the music

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #7,496 of 8,232
I've now been stable on the config in my signature for about a year and just concentrate on enjoying the music
When I got my WM1Z I thought I'd just carry over the E region - Bright combo I'd used on my 1A, but found it didn't agree with me. I've also settled on the same setting for the year I've had it, although I did a quick check to see how E, J, or MX3 might sound after using J3 when it became available, but stuck with J3.
Ultimately I just want to enjoy the music, but I get value from shared experiences here that may open up an opportunity to improve the experience. Early firmware offerings were a bit more straightforward with limited options, also back then J was the recommended region as the firmware/tunings were based on that. When the latest versions came out with an abundance of options and combinations I got a bit lost. There are so many different recordings (even within an album) and aspects of the music to listen out for I find it hard to choose the 'best'.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #7,497 of 8,232
I don't entirely get the decision to format/reset stuff when you can just delete, but anyway, I will have to mention on the blog that you should not try to reset the player while Walkman One is installed, or do stuff like formatting the internal storage externally.

In any case, messing up the internal storage wouldn't cause a boot loop. The settings file stuff can go on without the settings file actually existing, and the player would tell you that there is something wrong with the internal storage and that it needs to be formatted if you'd format it externally, so I'd say that you tried to factory reset the player and then you restarted the player before it finished.

I will get back to you later, I'm not at home at the moment.
Hello Mr. Walkman I'm still waiting for you to contact me to solve the problem of my ZX300, not if you have much or anything, but I don't have much time left to make a decision about my ZX300. Thanks

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #7,498 of 8,232
Hello Mr. Walkman I'm still waiting for you to contact me to solve the problem of my ZX300, not if you have much or anything, but I don't have much time left to make a decision about my ZX300. Thanks

This is something fixable. If you don't believe me and you can't wait a bit, then I guess you can do whatever else you have in mind. Unfortunately I don't have time available only for this.

You basically restarted the player while it was resetting itself, even though it says on the screen to not do something like that...

Just let me know if you'll not have the player available anymore. Officially I guess that Sony would replace the player or something (not for free), I'm not sure that they made the necessary tools available to service points in order to solve something like this.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #7,499 of 8,232
This is something fixable. If you don't believe me and you can't wait a bit, then I guess you can do whatever else you have in mind. Unfortunately I don't have time available only for this.

You basically restarted the player while it was resetting itself, even though it says on the screen to not do something like that...

Just let me know if you'll not have the player available anymore. Officially I guess that Sony would replace the player or something (not for free), I'm not sure that they made the necessary tools available to service points in order to solve something like this.
Ok I think I can wait a little longer, I just hope it's fixable

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #7,500 of 8,232
I should make this post a sticky. 😂

I’ve tried dozens or maybe hundreds of combinations in my time of testing this firmware and for the warmest yet resolute sound, use the below settings and tell me how it works for you.

WM1Z signature, region on J or J3, plus mode 2, DAC mode normal
This is what I found the most 'Sony Japan' with very unique warm style and clarity of vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back