Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #7,457 of 8,276
Jan 25, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #7,459 of 8,276
My hat off to @MrWalkman for the 'Much Higher Gain' FW tweak. It's changed my perception of the WM1Z, from a DAP that I absolutely loved but felt just about provided enough power, to one that's even better now with more power (voltage?) than my previous Hiby RS6 and R8 DAPs (690mW/1.2W output) by comparison. I'm now driving both IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R at a much lower volume setting than I did with the Hiby DAPs without any SQ penalty (if anything I feel SQ has actually improved), and any need/desire for an external amp has dissipated. If you own an OG 1A/1Z, you owe yourself to at least give it a try - and it's so easy to enable/disable at will. The only downside is that it doesn't support DSP or DSD/MQA files, which is where an external amp might still be useful for playing back these files or using DSP with harder-to-drive headphones.
Where is the firmware and how do i do this?

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #7,460 of 8,276
I am currently testing a new firmware from Mrwalkman which significantly increases the power of sony.
To give an idea to feed my odin mk2 I need a volume of 75 in direct source.
With the Mrwalkman firmware I am at a volume of 25 to 27.

My Wm1z is now more powerful than my sp2000T and sp1000 high gain amp (10 vrms) and a friend's sp2000.

No problem either to feed a 250ohm dt990 on the unbalanced output of my Wm1z volume 50.

For me no need to add an amp behind the sony.

I don't know how he did it but he's a genius and a super nice person.

I who had left to buy an N8II only for the additional power now no longer want to order it.

Mrwalkman saved me a lot of money.

I'm going to focus on buying a new helmet instead. Many thanks to Mr Walkman
What firmware and settings for more output power?

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #7,462 of 8,276
Hello folks, I just want to share my latest experience with the last One firmware version (J3 region and others, I'm using J3, PMV=2, DIM=0, wm1z tunning), and I just want to say thank you MrWalman, the way you squeeze the dap is incredible, every time you succeed in extract more and more information in my old times tunes...simply awesome. Take care of yourself!

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #7,464 of 8,276
What firmware and settings for more output power?
It has not been released yet, only a few people have beta tested it

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #7,468 of 8,276
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #7,469 of 8,276
people that tried the much higher gain, how does it impact battery?
It had a pretty considerable impact on battery, but if you're looking for the extra output its a sacrifice you have to make. Where I was typically running on volume 65-75, enabling the much higher gain by the hold switch would take me down to only needing to be on volumes 25-35. It effectively doubled the output for me.

Its worth noting that the Walkman actually started to produce some noticeable heat, which is to be expected on a device never meant to push those volumes. The overall battery life would still get me through a day on those volumes but when using the display alot with that turned on you would consume quite a bit of battery.

Now im recalling all of this off of memory back when I got offered to test it on the A55, I have since disabled the feature as a result of messing up my hold switch nolonger clicking into place. Its a deadly game to play when at any point even just a little bit of friction could turn it on.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #7,470 of 8,276
On the smaller players I experience some heating just by using the display for some time to be honest.

The end version will not be as loud anyway, but it will be noticeably louder than the stock firmware. Activation will also be done in a different way, and not by the hold button - that was the easiest way I could do it at the moment.

Hello folks, I just want to share my latest experience with the last One firmware version (J3 region and others, I'm using J3, PMV=2, DIM=0, wm1z tunning), and I just want to say thank you MrWalman, the way you squeeze the dap is incredible, every time you succeed in extract more and more information in my old times tunes...simply awesome. Take care of yourself!

But wait, there's more :) Of course, your experience may vary, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back