Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 15, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #7,171 of 8,248
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #7,172 of 8,248
Actually for a few months, since Nayparm moded my WM1A I am totally sticked to MrWalman firmware and it became in BT receiver mode my favourite combo (with my smartphone) at office. Qobuz as main hires music source...

Yes, this. Modded Walkman, mine is modded with black gate caps, together with Mr Walkman FW is great even with YouTube streams. I’m listening to Whiskey Blues music the last couple weeks. It’s really great

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #7,173 of 8,248
Thank you Steen Pihl.
So you're back to 3.01 and MX3.
For me, the WM1A went back to stock 3.02 because that's still how it plays the mids I prefer. And with the CN region. But I hesitated for a long time with E, U, CN and MX3. No remote possible with U and MX3 (without WalkmanOne). And between E and CN, I think I have a slight preference for CN but I would have a hard time explaining why. It's really subjective. I'm waiting for the next FW from MrWalkman which may allow you to choose the WM1A signature.
I couldn't get used to the slightly "darker" sound in 3.01, so I'm back at the 3.02 again. And this time on E. I have a dip in hearing at 4 kHz, so E's a little bit boosted in that area (as I hear it). Also because I do miss the crazy good midrange and high in the Walkman ONE fw.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #7,175 of 8,248
Hello, this is my first message. I've been a reader for a long time, but I haven't been a member.

I am currently using Fiio Q1 MK2 as a Dac on my Android phone with Uapp.
I have Bgvp DM6 and Azla 01R IEMs. I use both of my IEM's with a 2.4mm balanced cable.
I like to hear details in music, imaging is what I'm looking for. Also, while the highs of Bgvp are great for me, the mids are a bit low for me and I apply an parametric equalizer for mids. The balanced output really changes the sound for me (maybe in my brain) and i want to use Fiio as amplifier if I buy Nw-A45.

Would the Nw-A45 with custom fw really affect my experience bit further without line out?
The fact that a double amplifier will be applied makes me think. There's already some hiss for BGVP DM6 on Fiio.
It is also important to note that the Nw-A45 will cost me 56$

I'm sorry if my English is bad, and I'm grateful in advance for the answers.

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #7,176 of 8,248
Hello, this is my first message. I've been a reader for a long time, but I haven't been a member.

I have Bgvp DM6 and Azla 01R IEMs. I use both of my IEM's with a 2.4mm balanced cable.
I like to hear details in music, imaging is what I'm looking for. Also, while the highs of Bgvp are great for me, the mids are a bit low for me and I apply an parametric equalizer for mids. The balanced output really changes the sound for me (maybe in my brain) and i want to use Fiio as amplifier if I buy Nw-A45.

Would the Nw-A45 with custom fw really affect my experience bit further without line out?
The fact that a double amplifier will be applied makes me think. There's already some hiss for BGVP DM6 on Fiio.

welcome , your English are very good

ps: sorry for your wallet :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #7,177 of 8,248

I have a A55, with Mr.Walkman's custom fw, I can feel a huge upgrade in the clarity, details and driving power from the stock fw. Its good enough as a stand-alone music player without the amplifier. I have a hybrid earphone CCA CA16, setting the volume 75/120 of A55 is good enough to drive it well. I have some other players like N3Pro, Zishan Z4. With the 2.5/4.4mm balance out, I can hear better separation, but for details, I am not sure comparing to the 3.5mm out from A55. My A55 tuning is warmer, thicker and closed to ears mids, very musical and dynamics, both bass quantity and quality are better than those other two. By sacrificing some driving power and separation from your Fiio 2.5mm experience, you will get more natural and rich vocals. Of course, you can still pair the two ( Fiio+A45 ). So, make sure if you are ok with the Sony tuning ( before making the decision ), which is rather different to the Fiio tuning ( more balanced, colder, analytical ).

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #7,178 of 8,248
I have a A55, with Mr.Walkman's custom fw, I can feel a huge upgrade in the clarity, details and driving power from the stock fw. Its good enough as a stand-alone music player without the amplifier. I have a hybrid earphone CCA CA16, setting the volume 75/120 of A55 is good enough to drive it well. I have some other players like N3Pro, Zishan Z4. With the 2.5/4.4mm balance out, I can hear better separation, but for details, I am not sure comparing to the 3.5mm out from A55. My A55 tuning is warmer, thicker and closed to ears mids, very musical and dynamics, both bass quantity and quality are better than those other two. By sacrificing some driving power and separation from your Fiio 2.5mm experience, you will get more natural and rich vocals. Of course, you can still pair the two ( Fiio+A45 ). So, make sure if you are ok with the Sony tuning ( before making the decision ), which is rather different to the Fiio tuning ( more balanced, colder, analytical ).
Thanks for the explanatory reply. All experiences are important to me, I am grateful.
I think I'd prefer Fiio tuning. Still, I wonder if I can trust the A-45 more for detail, seperation and imagery. I am also a strict user of parametric equalizers. And there are really big differences between 3.5mm and 2.4mm for me (I like to feel it even in my brain). Moreover, the double amp seems to distract me from what I want to achieve: separation, detail and imagery. All this makes me think.
And $56 is unfortunately not the "let's try it, this is too cheap" price for my country.

@proedros
Thank you so much 😊
My wallet is already empty, so that's okay 😂

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #7,179 of 8,248
Thanks for the explanatory reply. All experiences are important to me, I am grateful.
I think I'd prefer Fiio tuning. Still, I wonder if I can trust the A-45 more for detail, seperation and imagery. I am also a strict user of parametric equalizers. And there are really big differences between 3.5mm and 2.4mm for me (I like to feel it even in my brain). Moreover, the double amp seems to distract me from what I want to achieve: separation, detail and imagery. All this makes me think.
And $56 is unfortunately not the "let's try it, this is too cheap" price for my country.

@proedros
Thank you so much 😊
My wallet is already empty, so that's okay 😂

I think people still buying the Sony A series because its portable, mid-range sound quality, exceptional long battery life, and Sony's tuning. If all these items are not what you concern, you can save your money. I am not a amplifier guy, so i am not sure if fiio or sony's tuning will be dominant by pairing the two.

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #7,180 of 8,248
I think people still buying the Sony A series because its portable, mid-range sound quality, exceptional long battery life, and Sony's tuning. If all these items are not what you concern, you can save your money. I am not a amplifier guy, so i am not sure if fiio or sony's tuning will be dominant by pairing the two.
Thank you so much, appreciate it 😊

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #7,181 of 8,248
One question: but how do I get J3 with WM1A player, please?

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #7,182 of 8,248
Jul 25, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #7,183 of 8,248
Where I will change region to J3?

Rebooting...

-----------------------------------------------------------
# July 25 (2022) - 22:36
# Booting [Walkman One] on a WM1A player
# Battery level: 62% (3.89 V)

=> Settings file (settings.txt) was found!

# Checking the sound signature settings...
=> The [SIG] setting was found in the settings file (3).
=> Restoring backed up device settings after sound signature change...
=> Settings restore complete.
=> The in-use sound signature (WM1Z) matches the sound signature set in the settings file (WM1Z).
- Sound signature change not needed!

# Reading the rest of the settings...
=> The region set in the settings file, [MX3], is valid.
=> The [REM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [PMV] setting was found in the settings file (2).
=> The [PMD] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [GMD] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [DIM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [COL] setting was found in the settings file (0).

# Applying settings...
=> The 'Remote option with any region' setting is Off.
=> Settings region is [MX3], device region is [MX3], region change not needed.

# The [WM1Z] tuning was not applied to the device.
# Please apply the [WM1Z] tuning to complete the installation.
=> Loading default settings for this situation...
- Normal (no tuning) mode initialized.
- Normal gain initialized.
- Normal DAC mode initialized.

# Settings processor task is finished.
# This is the complete boot #1 since this firmware was installed.

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #7,184 of 8,248
Where I will change region to J3?

Rebooting...

-----------------------------------------------------------
# July 25 (2022) - 22:36
# Booting [Walkman One] on a WM1A player
# Battery level: 62% (3.89 V)

=> Settings file (settings.txt) was found!

# Checking the sound signature settings...
=> The [SIG] setting was found in the settings file (3).
=> Restoring backed up device settings after sound signature change...
=> Settings restore complete.
=> The in-use sound signature (WM1Z) matches the sound signature set in the settings file (WM1Z).
- Sound signature change not needed!

# Reading the rest of the settings...
=> The region set in the settings file, [MX3], is valid.
=> The [REM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [PMV] setting was found in the settings file (2).
=> The [PMD] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [GMD] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [DIM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [COL] setting was found in the settings file (0).

# Applying settings...
=> The 'Remote option with any region' setting is Off.
=> Settings region is [MX3], device region is [MX3], region change not needed.

# The [WM1Z] tuning was not applied to the device.
# Please apply the [WM1Z] tuning to complete the installation.
=> Loading default settings for this situation...
- Normal (no tuning) mode initialized.
- Normal gain initialized.
- Normal DAC mode initialized.

# Settings processor task is finished.
# This is the complete boot #1 since this firmware was installed.
In the settings file you replace MX3 with J3 and reboot the player

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #7,185 of 8,248
In SETTING.TXT ?

[REGION]
#
# Available regions from the destination tool:
# J, U, U2, U3, CA, CEV, CE7, CEW, CEW2, CN, KR, E,
# MX, E2, MX3, TW, J1, J2, J3
#
# Any of the regions above will bring a change to the
# sound signature.
#
# Type the chosen destination after the equal sign (no spaces after).
# For example: REG=E
# Default is [MX3].

REG=J3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back