Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #6,721 of 8,223
Oh? Very cool, I didn’t know that!
It's entirely possible to have analog line-out on 1A/1Z. Sony said they didn't connect the S-Master to the WM-port analog line-out pins because of concerns that it may act like some sort of antenna to noise.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #6,722 of 8,223
Yessss .... I don't know if WM1A M2 manage to do this or not.
Probably not since it seems to use the same S-Master as the previous generation though the A players are also S-Master and have analog. Don’t know if usb-c can carry analog but analog is part of the WM port spec

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #6,723 of 8,223
Probably not since it seems to use the same S-Master as the previous generation though the A players are also S-Master and have analog. Don’t know if usb-c can carry analog but analog is part of the WM port spec
I don't know, but there are many USB-C earphones or 3.5mm adapters for smartphones .. that I imagine USB-C of the WM1A M2 could handle it too.
1646147235136.png

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #6,724 of 8,223
I don't know, but there are many USB-C earphones or 3.5mm adapters for smartphones .. that I imagine USB-C of the WM1A M2 could handle it too.
1646147235136.png
All these adaptors normally have a dac and amp build in so receive a digital signal. The same with Apples Lightning to 3.5 adaptor

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #6,725 of 8,223
All these adaptors normally have a dac and amp build in so receive a digital signal. The same with Apples Lightning to 3.5 adaptor
No .. I don't think with android as most available for less than 1€, they don't have any dac included.. Apple needs it probably, I don't think android needs it. Some android adapters have a real dac but are more expansive.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #6,726 of 8,223
No .. I don't think with android as most available for less than 1€, they don't have any dac included.. Apple needs it probably, I don't think android needs it. Some android adapters have a real dac but are more expansive.
Seems you are right but it is not a very good way of doing it and fraught with possible problems

E7D11BE4-A72B-49F2-BAF3-D29891184274.jpeg
53EAD4DF-7DF9-49FB-A591-75A300DBFDD4.jpeg

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,727 of 8,223
Seems you are right but it is not a very good way of doing it and fraught with possible problems

I don't know Sony's Zx500, but maybe someone can confirm if it has a line out through USB-C connector.
I could read some post here that there is a fixed USB audio output.. maybe not balanced.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #6,728 of 8,223
Couldn't WM1A/Z output analog audio through the WM -port? As far as I remember, this was mentioned in the previous thread and this feature was available on earlier firmware. But for some reason it was blocked later.
There is even an adapter for this purpose.

phpyJTgsi-300x300.png

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #6,729 of 8,223
Couldn't WM1A/Z output analog audio through the WM -port? As far as I remember, this was mentioned in the previous thread and this feature was available on earlier firmware. But for some reason it was blocked later.

phpyJTgsi-300x300.png

Only for A30/40/50 players.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #6,730 of 8,223

phpyJTgsi-300x300.png
No the WM1 players don’t have the analog pins connected on the WM port, only the A players do

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6,731 of 8,223
For anyone interested, you can give a try to the J1/J2/J3 regions on the Walkman One firmware (only for the WM1A/Z players) - these regions are basically new.

In order to install this, you have to revert back to the stock firmware first. After installing it, you can just go in the settings file and set J1, J2, or J3 as the region. If you delete the settings file, a new one will be created which will also mention the J1, J2, and J3 regions - using these regions will work without having to delete the settings file, this is just for visual aid, maybe.

There are no other new features in this Walkman One package - only the 3 regions. Also, use the same external tunings (they can be found in the CFW folder).

LINK (MEGA)

So far I like the J3 region really much. I am using the WM1Z sound signature on my WM1A (with the MDR-1AM2, single-ended port), and the bass is more impactful than simply with the J region, while there is some realism and cleanliness to the sound which I really like. The soundstage seems more focused in a way - in comparison with other regions it feels like there is less echo, which I think it adds to the realism. I really like how it sounds. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #6,732 of 8,223
For anyone interested, you can give a try to the J1/J2/J3 regions on the Walkman One firmware (only for the WM1A/Z players) - these regions are basically new.

In order to install this, you have to revert back to the stock firmware first. After installing it, you can just go in the settings file and set J1, J2, or J3 as the region. If you delete the settings file, a new one will be created which will also mention the J1, J2, and J3 regions - using these regions will work without having to delete the settings file, this is just for visual aid, maybe.

There are no other new features in this Walkman One package - only the 3 regions.

LINK (MEGA)

So far I like the J3 region really much. I am using the WM1Z sound signature on my WM1A (with the MDR-1AM2, single-ended port), and the bass is more impactful than simply with the J region, while there is some realism and cleanliness to the sound which I really like. The soundstage seems more focused in a way - in comparison with other regions it feels like there is less echo, which I think it adds to the realism. I really like how it sounds. Of course, this is only my opinion.
Indeed. I tested the J3 region with WM1Z sound signature thoroughly yesterday and found it to be much more cleaner and articulate compared to MX3 which I used previously. Bass is far better defined and soundstage is wide yet more focused. It’s like a refined version of MX3 perhaps and also works very well with my tube pre amp. Give it a try folks!

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #6,734 of 8,223

There are no other new features in this Walkman One package - only the 3 regions.

LINK (MEGA)

Just to add that after running stock revert and installing this new software package, you need to reinstall your preferred sound tuning as well which can be found in the CFW folder in your Walkman.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #6,735 of 8,223
Just to add that after running stock revert and installing this new software package, you need to reinstall your preferred sound tuning as well which can be found in the CFW folder in your Walkman.

Indeed, the same instructions apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back