Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 10, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #7,156 of 8,227
I have been on Bright for a couple of weeks and have found it strong in the low frequencies, a bit withdrawn/veiled in the midrange and fine in the treble.
So I've just switched to the WM1Z signature and that lowered the slightly booming bass and promoted the midrange.
+ bought the 64 Premium Cable for my 64 Tia Fourte's and got back to the standard silicone tips that went with it. That's home!
Thank you Mr.Walkman for that fantastic "tuning"!

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #7,158 of 8,227
Not a lot of activity on the thread these days, have people settled in with a favourite or is there still experimentation going on? I have seen @Steen Pihl's post above:thumbsup:
I was wondering how many 1Z owners have gone back to the stock tuning deeming it the 'best' or still favour one of the other tunings, perhaps just changing the region.
I'm only just hitting 200 listening hours past the 200 hr burn-in and using the 1Z tuning (J3). At 200 hrs I did try E W/Bright which I had favoured on my 1A but found the 1Z's extended treble a tad much with it at the time - I am sure there are still changes made well beyond the 200 hr recommended burn-in.
When I have time I will try some different combos but find the process overwhelming as there are many different aspects to listen out for for changes. After acquiring my 1TB card I have been able to let loose with adding whole discographies instead of space saving best ofs, and expanding my experiences with other bands and genres that previously I didn't have the luxury of space to include so I am seldom listening to the same tracks/albums to have that standardised base sound to compare the different tunings and regions.
Possibly everyone is hanging out for the new firmware?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #7,159 of 8,227
Not a lot of activity on the thread these days, have people settled in with a favourite or is there still experimentation going on? I have seen @Steen Pihl's post above:thumbsup:
I was wondering how many 1Z owners have gone back to the stock tuning deeming it the 'best' or still favour one of the other tunings, perhaps just changing the region.
I'm only just hitting 200 listening hours past the 200 hr burn-in and using the 1Z tuning (J3). At 200 hrs I did try E W/Bright which I had favoured on my 1A but found the 1Z's extended treble a tad much with it at the time - I am sure there are still changes made well beyond the 200 hr recommended burn-in.
When I have time I will try some different combos but find the process overwhelming as there are many different aspects to listen out for for changes. After acquiring my 1TB card I have been able to let loose with adding whole discographies instead of space saving best ofs and expanding my experiences with other bands and genres that previously I didn't have the luxury of space to include so I am seldom listening to the same tracks/albums to have that standardised base sound to compare the different tunings and regions.

I'm hanging in there, my f5 button already broke, luckily my mouse still works.
I've been riding on bright tuning with v2, alternate dac, with ce7. it's sooooooo good for jazz and live recordings. specifically been listening to esquivel, morton gould, les baxter, dick hyman, billy mure, some blues too. I'm addicted to this sort of combo. playing it through my 06 camry's stock speakers really sounds amazing.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #7,160 of 8,227
When I have time I will try some different combos but find the process overwhelming as there are many different aspects to listen out for for changes. After acquiring my 1TB card I have been able to let loose with adding whole discographies instead of space saving best ofs and expanding my experiences with other bands and genres that previously I didn't have the luxury of space to include so I am seldom listening to the same tracks/albums to have that standardised base sound to compare the different tunings and regions.
Also just hanging in for the next update. Been anticipating the low-latency DAC function over the last couple of months.

In the meantime I've just been using Walkman ONE with the Bright tuning on TW (its an odd combination I know, but this is because the amp in my car can't quite push my subs fully, it gets real thin in high bass) Im finding this somewhat helps that while also sounding very good through my IEMs so really its just the happy median until I can get that sorted out.

At times I've debated on switching back to stock FW regardless of the leaps in sound quality made in Walkman ONE with all the tunings, settings, and general use.

But the loss of VPT over the months has been slowly but surely making me second question it all even though Walkman ONE is by far better in every other way. Theres just something about the VPTs reverb that keeps pulling me in, even if it isnt quite as realistic all the time. It is fun, that very wide soundstage is just capturing.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #7,161 of 8,227
When I have time I will try some different combos but find the process overwhelming as there are many different aspects to listen out for for changes. After acquiring my 1TB card I have been able to let loose with adding whole discographies instead of space saving best ofs, and expanding my experiences with other bands and genres that previously I didn't have the luxury of space to include so I am seldom listening to the same tracks/albums to have that standardised base sound to compare the different tunings and regions.
I have gone back to stock 3.01 and enjoying it for now. Will keep an eye on this thread (and https://www.nwmods.ml). Something's missing in the dynamics of the low end. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there in the stock fw and I just can't "forget" it! But any new stuff from Mr.Walkman will be tested!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #7,162 of 8,227
I have gone back to stock 3.02 and enjoying it for now. Will keep an eye on this thread (and https://www.nwmods.ml). Something's missing in the dynamics of the low end. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there in the stock fw and I just can't "forget" it! But any new stuff from Mr.Walkman will be tested!
What region have you been using since returning to FW stock? Is that region E mentioned in your signature? Have you ever used the CN region? And if so, how would you analyze the differences with E?

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #7,163 of 8,227
Actually for a few months, since Nayparm moded my WM1A I am totally sticked to MrWalman firmware and it became in BT receiver mode my favourite combo (with my smartphone) at office. Qobuz as main hires music source...

Sennheiser IE 600 NW666 Stack01.jpg

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #7,164 of 8,227
Actually for a few months, since Nayparm moded my WM1A I am totally sticked to MrWalman firmware and it became in BT receiver mode my favourite combo (with my smartphone) at office. Qobuz as main hires music source...

Sennheiser IE 600 NW666 Stack01.jpg
OT, but how are you liking the IE 600 with the WM1A?

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #7,165 of 8,227
OT, but how are you liking the IE 600 with the WM1A?
It's a bit too early, as it's less than one week I am using the IE600... Since last January, I am using mostly the Vision ears EXT,and I really love the combo as I don't use the IER-Z1R any more.
But I would say, the IE600 + Nayparm WM1A seems to be a good matching combo bringing some real fun with an amazing frequency range available (particularly as single DD IEM), though, it's probably not as realistic as the IER-Z1R with the WM1A can be.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #7,166 of 8,227
It's a bit too early, as it's less than one week I am using the IE600... Since last January, I am using mostly the Vision ears EXT,and I really love the combo as I don't use the IER-Z1R any more.
But I would say, the IE600 + Nayparm WM1A seems to be a good matching combo bringing some real fun with an amazing frequency range available (particularly as single DD IEM), though, it's probably not as realistic as the IER-Z1R with the WM1A can be.
How does it compare to the IE 900 with your WM1A?

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #7,167 of 8,227
How does it compare to the IE 900 with your WM1A?
As my IE900 is again out of order for a few months now, I can't make A/B comparison any more (particularly withe the modded WM1A.
I can still compare the Vision Ears EXT, IE600 and Xelento ... as the Vision Ears EXT was something more detailed in high frequencies (over 7/8Khz), I would say, the IE600 seems really very airy in that area, which is a quite nice feature though some would think it's maybe not as realistic as the IE900 is (or hybrids like Vision Ears and Sony IER-Z1R are).
So with the WM1A, the IE900 is something in between the fun of the IE600 and some of the most realistic sound form the VE EXT or Sony...
Anyway, the IE600 in high frequencies is a significant setup up from my rather good Xelento...and comfort is same as IE900 (best of the market) and that was my main target when I ordered the IE600.

As I feel in such a short time, the IE600 with WM1A is something like a really pleasant combo, though maybe the IE900 could be more realistic.
I intend to use the IE600 mainly the mini BT amp iFi Go Blu, and keep using the modded WM1A with the Vision Ears EXT (I really love this combo for more critical listening sessions).
Though the IE600 has an extended range in high frequency, there is no hiss at all with the iFi Go blu. With the Xelento or IE900, I need an iFi adpater to avoid all background hiss of the iFi Go Blu... maybe ithe IE600 is less sensitive too ?
Of course with the WM1A, I never had any hiss issue with any IEM even with any of MrWalkman firmwares or Nayparm mods

Sennheiser IE 600 NW666 Stack02.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #7,168 of 8,227
does anyone know a walkman repair place? My screen is cracked and need a new one and i dont know where to find replacement parts. Ill do the repair if needed. I have a nw a55.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #7,169 of 8,227
What region have you been using since returning to FW stock? Is that region E mentioned in your signature? Have you ever used the CN region? And if so, how would you analyze the differences with E?
Hi Mörchigen.
I have missed the solid bass that are in the 3.01 fw. And slightly less in 3.02. I know it's not as audiophile a tuning as mr.Walkman's, but it's perfect for the mainly outdoor use that I do. E is fine, but to my ears it's a bit too enhanced in the 4-8 kHz area. It just doesn't sound right, but MX3 sure does! So that's the one installed for now!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #7,170 of 8,227
It just doesn't sound right, but MX3 sure does! So that's the one installed for now!
Thank you Steen Pihl.
So you're back to 3.01 and MX3.
For me, the WM1A went back to stock 3.02 because that's still how it plays the mids I prefer. And with the CN region. But I hesitated for a long time with E, U, CN and MX3. No remote possible with U and MX3 (without WalkmanOne). And between E and CN, I think I have a slight preference for CN but I would have a hard time explaining why. It's really subjective. I'm waiting for the next FW from MrWalkman which may allow you to choose the WM1A signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back