Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,466 of 8,222
thanks for the quick reply Mr walkman i like a warm detailed sound signature will the walkman one firmware give me that ..the wm1z sound i guess

Yes, "WM1Z" or "Warm" are two options for that.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #6,468 of 8,222
Hello everyone!

MrWalkman, a big thank you for your firmware "Walkman One"! I use it on the Sony nw-zx300 with xba-n3 and DIY-wire (copper silver plated 0,03*7*24 "МС16-13" from USSR 70-80) via balanced output. Sound is great, cleaner, the scene is deeper and the bass is just right for these headphones compared to DMP-300 FE. I use WM1Z sound signature, normal mode, MX3 region, "Direct" is ON (do not use any music enhancers).

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #6,469 of 8,222
thanks for the quick reply Mr walkman i like a warm detailed sound signature will the walkman one firmware give me that ..the wm1z sound i guess
For me wm1z with MX3 region alternate dac at 0 gives me a pleasant, warm and detailed sound. Nothing is pushed too much and nothing sounds harsh. Try this combo.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #6,470 of 8,222
Yes, "WM1Z" or "Warm" are two options for that.
got it thanks buddy ...new life for the ZX300 no wonder it is still keeping its value lol

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #6,471 of 8,222
For me wm1z with MX3 region alternate dac at 0 gives me a pleasant, warm and detailed sound. Nothing is pushed too much and nothing sounds harsh. Try this combo.
what is the mx3 region ...sorry not got the player or software yet

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #6,472 of 8,222
what is the mx3 region ...sorry not got the player or software yet

You can try the firmware if you still have the A45 from your signature. It will look the same on the ZX300, and you'll be able to check out more details about the regions in the settings file (which will be located in the "CFW" folder in the internal storage).

You can also find more details in the FAQ section: www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #6,474 of 8,222
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #6,475 of 8,222
This player after the release of the various firmware made me literally crazy.
I discovered its potential and the various trade-offs between firmware and regions.
CEV has the best three-dimensionality but lacks the resolution of CN or U;
Region E it is open and very precise but sharp on the highs, MX3 excellent compromise but not clinical like U.
After several attempts I was able to find the best combo to drive the R10s really well; for this type of headphones, with a soft tone I tried a compromise with BRIGHT, more defined but less open sound than midnight, which thanks to the echo of the U region in part I have remedied.
Very dynamic region, the most transparent in my opinion, but slightly sharp on 4 khz, problem solved thanks to plus mode v.1.
The result is truly amazing, the R10 sounds really detailed, with a natural, open, three-dimensional tone just right, but above all with the best definition that the WM1A can give.
I piloted the sony with much more expensive dacs and amps, even on a € 11,000 system, but being a headphone with low impedance and a lot of sensitivity, it does not require great power to be dynamic and sounding; the difference was there but it did not justify the € 10,000 difference.
Fully satisfied with this WM1A.
Bring these settings too if you like and let me know!
REG.U
PLUS MODE V.1
DAC INITIALIZATION V.1

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #6,476 of 8,222
A nice visitor of the nwmods.ml website contacted me recently about the possibility of making the NW-A50 "Love Live! Sunshine!!" edition's modified icons available to other players as well.

Fortunately, that is possible, so installers for these Walkman players will come soon. The icons will work with the stock firmware, as well as with the custom firmware, with no issues.

This is a WM1A with those icons:
screenshot_20211217_152805021.png

These special edition NW-A50 players are selling for as much as $400 on eBay, so I'd say that it's gonna be nice to have this on your player without having to pay that much.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #6,477 of 8,222
A nice visitor of the nwmods.ml website contacted me recently about the possibility of making the NW-A50 "Love Live! Sunshine!!" edition's modified icons available to other players as well.

Fortunately, that is possible, so installers for these Walkman players will come soon. The icons will work with the stock firmware, as well as with the custom firmware, with no issues.

These special edition NW-A50 players are selling for as much as $400 on eBay, so I'd say that it's gonna be nice to have this on your player without having to pay that much.
Cool. Kinda nice to have actually. Adds a tad bit of color to the playing screen. I like it.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,478 of 8,222
Hi @MrWalkman, I just tried the Walkman One FW for the ZX300, it is awesome! I sent some comments to your blog but somehow it was not successful. Let me put them here then:
- In the past, there was a DMP-Z1 firmware. Which signature, Bright or Neutral or Warm is similar to this?
- (This is more like a wish) I love both the Bright and the WM1Z tuning. Is it possible in the future to have 2 tunings installed, and switched via the Hold switch? I always use the Plus V2 mode, so I never touch the switch. Plus, it would be much more convenient to switch the tuning without having to connect to a computer, editing the settings file, and reboot a couple of times.
One more thing, do you accept other methods of donation, like bank transfer maybe? Paypal wants to charge a high amount when I want to transfer as friends and family

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #6,479 of 8,222
Hi @MrWalkman, I just tried the Walkman One FW for the ZX300, it is awesome! I sent some comments to your blog but somehow it was not successful. Let me put them here then:
- In the past, there was a DMP-Z1 firmware. Which signature, Bright or Neutral or Warm is similar to this?
- (This is more like a wish) I love both the Bright and the WM1Z tuning. Is it possible in the future to have 2 tunings installed, and switched via the Hold switch? I always use the Plus V2 mode, so I never touch the switch. Plus, it would be much more convenient to switch the tuning without having to connect to a computer, editing the settings file, and reboot a couple of times.
One more thing, do you accept other methods of donation, like bank transfer maybe? Paypal wants to charge a high amount when I want to transfer as friends and family

Hey, "DMP-Z1" morphed into the "Bright" sound signature.

Unfortunately it's not possible to have the tunings changed without installing them via a PC. I'm not sure if it will be possible in the future, but I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #6,480 of 8,222

The "Love Live! Sunshine!!" edition icons are now available here.

They can be installed only while you are on the stock firmware. There are more details on the page linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back