Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 3, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #6,496 of 8,232
Isen’t Chameleon one of the tunings from one of the early modders and not a MrWalkman modded fw ?
I think it was the first one to give the 1A the 1Z tuning

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #6,497 of 8,232
Jan 3, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #6,499 of 8,232
i have downloaded the stock revert packages, just want to ask which should i choose, i checked my wm1a and it is on chameleon 2.0. there does not seem to be chameleon 2.0 on the files i downloaded... thanks in advance
I believe this should be the file you're after - it won't break anything if it isn't, it just won't work.

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #6,501 of 8,232
thank you so much sir, appreciate it a lot :). was able to use it, Just to be sure, I just need to run it and it will revert to stock firmware? also once on stock I can try out the latest mod by MrWalkman? thanks sir
Exactly correct, yes!

Glad it helped!

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #6,502 of 8,232
thank you so much sir, appreciate it a lot :). was able to use it, Just to be sure, I just need to run it and it will revert to stock firmware? also once on stock I can try out the latest mod by MrWalkman? thanks sir
It’s always a good idea to run the stock Sony installer after reverting even though it probably isen’t needed

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #6,503 of 8,232
So I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I'm using firmware WM1A+ 2.0 on my WM1A and recently my WM1A has been randomly playing music even when the controls are locked. I also had an issue where the player would randomly turn off, play music, and/or adjust volume without me touching it. I did restore the original 3.02 firmware and it seemed to be fine after that. Had anyone experienced these issues before?

Jan 4, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #6,504 of 8,232
So I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I'm using firmware WM1A+ 2.0 on my WM1A and recently my WM1A has been randomly playing music even when the controls are locked. I also had an issue where the player would randomly turn off, play music, and/or adjust volume without me touching it. I did restore the original 3.02 firmware and it seemed to be fine after that. Had anyone experienced these issues before?
That version of firmware is no longer supported. You need to upgrade to WalkMan One.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #6,505 of 8,232
I also released installers for the stock icons (on the same page for LLSS).

1641582552718.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #6,506 of 8,232
Hey guys, after selling all my equipment two years ago (Focal Utopia, WM1A, Kimber Axios cable, TA-ZH1ES, etc.), I decided to return to the hobby. Don’t ask me why I even left (or tried to leave).

Anyways, I see much had changed in the meantime, especially with MrWalkman’s software mods.

Anyways, in anticipation of a newly purchased MDR-Z1R (yes, going closed back this time) and WM1A, both used and bought from fellow head-fiers, I have a few questions:

1. What is the best MrWalkman’s software tuning combo for the MDR-Z1R being driven from the WM1A’s balanced output with the Sony-Kimber cable?

2. Having in mind the brilliant reviews of MrWalkman’s software, do I need to invest in an expensive cable (read: Kimber Axios) in order to fix some of the MDR-Z1R’s shortcomings (namely possible bass bleed into the mids and occasional treble harshness)?

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #6,507 of 8,232
I'm glad you worked it out.

I would suggest trying Walkman One (based on the WM1A/Z firmware). It should give better results than previous versions, like "DMP-300".
Now one week has past with the firmware. I chose for the WM1Z tuning. I could not listen super critical (kids at home), but so far I like it very much. It has more highs than the DMP-300 firmware. I think I noticed some sibilance with some recordings in the non-plus setting vs the plus setting (boot with hold), so I guess the plus setting really is better.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #6,508 of 8,232
Hey guys, after selling all my equipment two years ago (Focal Utopia, WM1A, Kimber Axios cable, TA-ZH1ES, etc.), I decided to return to the hobby. Don’t ask me why I even left (or tried to leave).

Anyways, I see much had changed in the meantime, especially with MrWalkman’s software mods.

Anyways, in anticipation of a newly purchased MDR-Z1R (yes, going closed back this time) and WM1A, both used and bought from fellow head-fiers, I have a few questions:

1. What is the best MrWalkman’s software tuning combo for the MDR-Z1R being driven from the WM1A’s balanced output with the Sony-Kimber cable?

2. Having in mind the brilliant reviews of MrWalkman’s software, do I need to invest in an expensive cable (read: Kimber Axios) in order to fix some of the MDR-Z1R’s shortcomings (namely possible bass bleed into the mids and occasional treble harshness)?

Thank you!
Hi. Glad you came back to the audio game on a second wind. Currently the best and only firmware available for the 1A is Walkman One. It has a few different tunings within it and also many sound tweaks to alter the sound to your tastes. Experience it all by trying out the various combinations and please read the instructions to ensure a successful and correct installation method for the different tunings.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #6,509 of 8,232
Now one week has past with the firmware. I chose for the WM1Z tuning. I could not listen super critical (kids at home), but so far I like it very much. It has more highs than the DMP-300 firmware. I think I noticed some sibilance with some recordings in the non-plus setting vs the plus setting (boot with hold), so I guess the plus setting really is better.
Yeah, the plus mode is my preferred mode and you should try plus v2 mode as well as that is the preferred one for many.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #6,510 of 8,232
Among other stuff, like new regions and sound signatures, this is more or less how the next boot logs will look like:

1641773688211.png

They'll be local HTML pages (that don't access/require internet), that can be opened in any internet browser. In this way they should be more readable, with more visible clues if something is not as it should be.

For each booting process, there'll be a separate boot log - this should help figuring out where to look when the player starts and you want to check if everything worked fine regarding the settings file. I'll probably make it so only the last 10 or 20 boot logs will be kept, for storage saving purposes, though they shouldn't get to more than a few kilobytes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back