Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #6,331 of 8,217
I'm sure this is posted somewhere... I see references to this, but I went back several pages and didn't find anything concrete.

Has anyone published a set of "subjective impressions" for each setting? I.e. X Region is more V-shaped, Y setting brings out mids, Q setting flattens out bass response...?

I'm currently using "WM1Z, with the MX3 region, Plus v2, and different DAC init" suggested by MrWalkman on his NW-A50 download site (in response to a user question) but I'm finding it a bit too V shaped for my taste, especially in the boosted bass. Thanks in advance!
Just equalize a bit. +1.5-3 dB at 2 KHz and 3-6dB at 4 KHz give a nice harman-type curve for my sennheiser ie300 (depending on your headphone, of course, this may be different, check its frequency response curve).

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #6,332 of 8,217
Thanks for the info! Very helpful to get started experimenting.
You're welcome.
Yes it's a great guide. I don't have much experience with region changes so others may offer better advice.

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,333 of 8,217
Just equalize a bit. +1.5-3 dB at 2 KHz and 3-6dB at 4 KHz give a nice harman-type curve for my sennheiser ie300 (depending on your headphone, of course, this may be different, check its frequency response curve).
Oh I'll definitely be experimenting with the eq. Just wanted to get it as reasonably flat as I could at the get-go. I'm using this in the car and on the home hi-fi, so extra bass is not typically necessary. I will say it sounds quite good as-is on my Fostex T50RP.
You're welcome.
Yes it's a great guide. I don't have much experience with region changes so others may offer better advice.
Region J looks like a good place to start. Of course, I will want to try the different tunings and whatnot. I tend to like mids.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #6,334 of 8,217
My goal was to find mids. I dislike too much V-shape; typically I drop the treble and bass by a click or two on car stereos (for example). Here's where I ended up after a few hours:

Sound sig: Neutral (I did not try Bright; I like Warm but the touch more brightness on Neutral won me over; I may go back and try WM1Z later, but I recall it being mid-scooped)
Region: J (I didn't cycle through regions, only used the suggestion on the excel chart above)
Plus Mode V2
DAC Initialization: Normal (0)

Thanks for the help, and thanks to MrWalkman - sent you a small donation.

Edit:
Updated to WM1Z signature, Region J, Plus Mode V2, DAC Initialization Different. Hard to tell difference in DAC modes to my ears.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #6,335 of 8,217
My goal was to find mids. I dislike too much V-shape; typically I drop the treble and bass by a click or two on car stereos (for example). Here's where I ended up after a few hours:

Sound sig: Neutral (I did not try Bright; I like Warm but the touch more brightness on Neutral won me over; I may go back and try WM1Z later, but I recall it being mid-scooped)
Region: J (I didn't cycle through regions, only used the suggestion on the excel chart above)
Plus Mode V2

I went back and forth on Plus Mode V2 or Normal. If I was hearing any difference, it was minimal. I think I liked V2 better, but I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference blind.

The great thing is you can steer the sound to your liking with regions, firmwares, modes and then EQ.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #6,336 of 8,217
Nov 20, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #6,337 of 8,217
Nov 20, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #6,338 of 8,217
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #6,339 of 8,217
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #6,340 of 8,217
Lol.

I thought you had something new!
🤪well can’t say I’m too excited about it as I’m really happy with the 1A now with Walkman one.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6,341 of 8,217
Enjoying some beautiful vocals now on a cool evening at sunset. WM1Z.
6BC0FCF2-9AE7-4D65-8470-5E39468CA395.jpeg
1A7B3EBF-5655-4873-9928-23CC8C99C76C.jpeg

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #6,342 of 8,217
Enjoying some beautiful vocals now on a cool evening at sunset. WM1Z.

Nice sunset!

Similarly enjoying the WM1Z sound on my WM1A. The bass reproduction is amazingly good. I am not at home currently, so I am using the Shure SE846 from the single-ended port.

Having the possibility to get a WM1A and make it sound this good it's pretty unique - same for the smaller players.

Plus Mode V2

I went back and forth on Plus Mode V2 or Normal. If I was hearing any difference, it was minimal. I think I liked V2 better, but I would be hard-pressed to tell the blind.

I really appreciate the support! Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #6,344 of 8,217
I am on a 1z with the firmware wm1z from Mrwalkman. I noticed that when I am in normal mode the sound is thicker than when I am in v2 mode. Would someone have noticed like me?
Yes, normal mode is thicker and warmer and v2 is more resolute and energetic. V1 is somewhere in between. It’s great to have these choices with just a quick change in the settings file.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back