Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #5,958 of 8,225
A45 and A55 users! What are you loving for your settings? I was so intrigued about this firmware that I picked up an A45 to try vs my lootoo paw 5000 mk2. The interface is centainly better! I absolutely love great sounding inexpensive daps that punch above their cost.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,959 of 8,225
You are kind to ask my opinion, but there are others, including yourself (who according to your dap list own both), that could likely offer a better answer. I caught the hifi bug when I was 20 years old and that was 48 years ago. I have been fortunate to retain my ability to appreciate full spectrum music, but I'm sure that I cannot hear the details that are often expressed in these posts. That said they both sound excellent to me and with identical settings it's hard for me to tell any difference. I do have many other daps and headphones that do sound different to me, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's all about the faithful reproduction of music and your mods have improved that, for me at least.

I didn't get to do this kind of test yet, but any difference should be really small.

In any case, it's awesome that at your age you care about this kind of things. I mean, I'm used to people around your age to not even know how to use a computer/smartphone, and they don't want to learn either 😅

A45 and A55 users! What are you loving for your settings? I was so intrigued about this firmware that I picked up an A45 to try vs my lootoo paw 5000 mk2. The interface is centainly better! I absolutely love great sounding inexpensive daps that punch above their cost.

I really like the "WM1Z" signature, with MX3, Plus v2, and different DAC init mode.

You could also try with Plus v2, but with different DAC init disabled, or with another region, or no Plus mode, etc.

It sounds really nice with the Shure SE846.

First of all, I want to say thankyou mrwalkman for these awesome custom fw. After 6 years my journey of portable audio, finally end up searching for an affordable small DAP that has a good battery life with LDAC reciever capabilities, walkman series caught my attention here. I've tried couple DAP and Bluetooth Receiver such as Fiio BTR5, Hiby R3 Saber, Oriolus BT reciever, Shanling M0, etc.. None of them satisfied my ear in terms of the sound or battery life, mostly doest last long as LDAC reciever and sound degradation really bad. At first i never looked at Sony DAP as they tend to sound warm and muddy at stock fw, till last month i brought cheap used A35 series that comes with R Firmware, wow.. An amazing sounding DAP, crystal crisp and good dynamic+resolution, even as LDAC reciever it perform very good, nearly no difference as wired connection. Finally a versatile little DAP with excellent battery life. Last week, i sold the A35 and brought the brand new A55 instead. Walkman One fw was the best so far. My setting: Bright, Alternate DAC, Plus V2. I Made custom case for it, and it looked dope 😎 all functional side buttons, and fully protected case.
IMG-20210926-103401-916.webp
IMG-20210926-103401-939.webp
IMG-20210926-103401-960.webp

Awesome case!

@MrWalkman
Which of the 4 tunings would you say delivers a more harman-esque sound in the midrange?

I'm not entirely sure of the answer. I never did any kind of frequency response measurements for these players.

I'm the kind of guy that if it sounds good to me, then it's good.

With that being said, "WM1Z" seems to have the most present mids in my opinion, so you could give it a try. Please check all info available and make sure you also install the external tuning according to the in-use sound signature.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #5,960 of 8,225
It seems that the .ml domain expired, and it's not available anymore in my Freenom account for some reason, to extend it's valability. I also can't add it back or something. I already sent an email to Freenom.

In the meanwhile, please use mrwalkmanblog.blogspot.com to access the website.

We're now at www.nwmods.ml.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #5,961 of 8,225
Moved back to Dawn FEv2 as I love detailed treble and it was little more laid back than my liking on midnight.
Check that the region when used with the new firmware matches the one you use with the old one remember the default on this new FW its MX3, you can be using other region and that might be affecting the sound.... you can do that with the rockbox tool on the old firmware on the new one you dont have to use rockbox

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #5,963 of 8,225
The Walkman One firmware is now also available
for the NW-A30Series players (A35/A36/A37)!

Big thanks to Nayparm at www.npaudio.uk for his generous donation of a WM1A
(after having to sell mine, unfortunately), and to everyone who supported me so far!
🍺

As always, if you're using some other custom firmware on the A30, you'll first have to
revert to stock, using the StockRevert package made for your installed firmware.

For more info about the settings file, firmware installation and reverting to
stock, changing the sound signature, and more, please check out the FAQ section.

Check out Walkman One (for A30), here.

Salutations!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #5,964 of 8,225
I'm pretty sure now that those domains are free only for 1 year.

At least for now we're at www.nwmods.ml.

Sorry for the incovenience.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,965 of 8,225
Listening to the same "WM1Z" signature on my WM1A, and it seems that keeping the different DAC init mode disabled sounds better (with Plus v2). Maybe an idea to try.

This also applied to the A50, and it makes sense, as they use the same firmware basically.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #5,966 of 8,225
I have been using MrWalkman's firmware for quite a while, but there is a question i was never able to figure out the answer, not written in the FAQ either,

If i want to switch to a different tuning within the same firmware build (say, between WM1Z and Neutral tuning of Walkman One), do i need to do the complete stock revert process and reinstall Walkman One, or can i just change the setting file in the player, restart and apply the tuning i want? Thanks for the clarification.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #5,967 of 8,225
That’s a great question!

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #5,968 of 8,225
I have been using MrWalkman's firmware for quite a while, but there is a question i was never able to figure out the answer, not written in the FAQ either,

If i want to switch to a different tuning within the same firmware build (say, between WM1Z and Neutral tuning of Walkman One), do i need to do the complete stock revert process and reinstall Walkman One, or can i just change the setting file in the player, restart and apply the tuning i want? Thanks for the clarification.
i've read it, That's no need to revert stock tuning if u already use Walkman one fw. just flash the tuning option. but u need to change the settings first on CFW folder using notepad on ur PC, restart it, and finally flash the tuning file according to the one u set before on CFW folder

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #5,969 of 8,225

No need for stock revert to change between signatures with Walkman one. Just change to your desired signature in the settings file in the cfw folder, save, disconnect mass storage, restart and apply the corresponding tuning. That’s all.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #5,970 of 8,225
Listening to the same "WM1Z" signature on my WM1A, and it seems that keeping the different DAC init mode disabled sounds better (with Plus v2). Maybe an idea to try.

This also applied to the A50, and it makes sense, as they use the same firmware basically.
I have tried the "Neutral" and "Warm" for 2 days, next is bright and "WM1Z", that obviously the last one. My favorite is neutral and warm. The neutral is the best for someone who wants to "normalize" your signature gear sound if that warm it will less warm and if bright it will less bright all become more neutral, the magic in the equalizer if you tune use bass-mid-high, the impact is so soft and never overwhelming with another instrument/low-mid-high, I think between the warm and bright the neutral has more soundstage, and feels wide, so it's best for long seasons listening. And one more finally I got the best setting for my EX-1000 I use the spiral dot ++, oyaide hpc 26, jack oyaide, generic mmcx on warm, plus v2, another DAC setting its really improve lowering the treble peak, and really good on neutral, plus v2, another DAC setting.

The one I want to try is setting "WM1Z", so what is the base stock firmware signature setting "WM1Z"?
I want to compare the mods Walkman One "WM1Z" and actual stock firmware/ base sound on WM1Z.

DSC_0000_BURST20210927135622964_COVER.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back