Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 26, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #5,943 of 8,231
First of all, I want to say thankyou mrwalkman for these awesome custom fw. After 6 years my journey of portable audio, finally end up searching for an affordable small DAP that has a good battery life with LDAC reciever capabilities, walkman series caught my attention here. I've tried couple DAP and Bluetooth Receiver such as Fiio BTR5, Hiby R3 Saber, Oriolus BT reciever, Shanling M0, etc.. None of them satisfied my ear in terms of the sound or battery life, mostly doest last long as LDAC reciever and sound degradation really bad. At first i never looked at Sony DAP as they tend to sound warm and muddy at stock fw, till last month i brought cheap used A35 series that comes with R Firmware, wow.. An amazing sounding DAP, crystal crisp and good dynamic+resolution, even as LDAC reciever it perform very good, nearly no difference as wired connection. Finally a versatile little DAP with excellent battery life. Last week, i sold the A35 and brought the brand new A55 instead. Walkman One fw was the best so far. My setting: Bright, Alternate DAC, Plus V2. I Made custom case for it, and it looked dope 😎 all functional side buttons, and fully protected case.
IMG-20210926-103401-916.webp
IMG-20210926-103401-939.webp
IMG-20210926-103401-960.webp

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #5,944 of 8,231
I went back to the stock software, I installed the Walkman_One_A50_(23.09) software, then I entered the settings menu on the device, the SIG setting menu you mentioned is not visible, what could I have done wrong? I connected the device to the computer, the CFW file is seen, but the menu where I can change this setting is not visible in the device menu.

For the obvious reason because it's not there. There is a settings file in the CFW folder, that's what you need to edit with a simple text editor using your computer.Once you edited and saved it, restart the player.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #5,945 of 8,231
. Last week, i sold the A35 and brought the brand new A55 instead. Walkman One fw was the best so far. My setting: Bright, Alternate DAC, Plus V2. I Made custom case for it, and it looked dope 😎 all functional side buttons, and fully protected case.

To be honest, I don't hear any difference between the A35 running midnight v2 and the A55 on Walkman One. I definitely keep both of them :)

Amazing what a 5 years old DAP (A35) is capable of - and also battery life is just crazy long! (the production date is stamped on the back plate, Oct 2016)

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #5,946 of 8,231
To be honest, I don't hear any difference between the A35 running midnight v2 and the A55 on Walkman One. I definitely keep both of them :)

Amazing what a 5 years old DAP (A35) is capable of - and also battery life is just crazy long! (the production date is stamped on the back plate, Oct 2016)
Totally agree. i've tested the old A35 for 24hour nonstop with that DMP-Z R, still 1 bar left. that amazing for a over 5 years old battery. The reason why i sold it was, i want a newer DAP of this lineup so the battery can last longer for more 5 years 😎 tho the sound as i remember are just slightly improvement on A55, but really a small versatile device, touchscreen operationally smooth, unlike other DAP that rely on mechanical buttons that can break someday, and the walkman OS are solid bugless. Its a future-proof DAP 👍

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #5,948 of 8,231
One more time I would like to thank you very much Mr.Walkman for these fws. He is a genius!

Folk, walkman one fw for wm1z, which region is your choice and why?
Wm1z+MX3+plus v2+different dac. Sounds absolutely heavenly on direct source. You won’t need anything else. Try it.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #5,949 of 8,231
First of all, I want to say thankyou mrwalkman for these awesome custom fw. After 6 years my journey of portable audio, finally end up searching for an affordable small DAP that has a good battery life with LDAC reciever capabilities, walkman series caught my attention here. I've tried couple DAP and Bluetooth Receiver such as Fiio BTR5, Hiby R3 Saber, Oriolus BT reciever, Shanling M0, etc.. None of them satisfied my ear in terms of the sound or battery life, mostly doest last long as LDAC reciever and sound degradation really bad. At first i never looked at Sony DAP as they tend to sound warm and muddy at stock fw, till last month i brought cheap used A35 series that comes with R Firmware, wow.. An amazing sounding DAP, crystal crisp and good dynamic+resolution, even as LDAC reciever it perform very good, nearly no difference as wired connection. Finally a versatile little DAP with excellent battery life. Last week, i sold the A35 and brought the brand new A55 instead. Walkman One fw was the best so far. My setting: Bright, Alternate DAC, Plus V2. I Made custom case for it, and it looked dope 😎 all functional side buttons, and fully protected case.

How's the sound quality of A55 (walkman one fw) compared to Hiby R3 ? As a previous A35, ZX300 owner, really want to get a new A55 to try the walkman one fw. The 2nd hand is very hard to find here, thinking if it is worth it, thanks !

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #5,950 of 8,231
How's the sound quality of A55 (walkman one fw) compared to Hiby R3 ? As a previous A35, ZX300 owner, really want to get a new A55 to try the walkman one fw. The 2nd hand is very hard to find here, thinking if it is worth it, thanks !
I only tried Hiby R3 Saber not the regular R3, and yes its a good DAP. But i find it less musical and more to analytical sounding with neutral maybe best for classical and orchestral music, the LDAC reciever sound is not any better. i found it less dinamik but good resolution and soundstage. In the other hand, The A55 with Walkman One fw has more dinamik, with bright tuning it manage to sound close to neutral, but has a good texture even as LDAC reciever. A55 become more enjoyable with my mixed playlist. overall good allrounder. Big plus with battery life on A55, and lot of tuning option with further updates from mrwalkman

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #5,951 of 8,231
I only tried Hiby R3 Saber not the regular R3, and yes its a good DAP. But i find it less musical and more to analytical sounding with neutral maybe best for classical and orchestral music, the LDAC reciever sound is not any better. i found it less dinamik but good resolution and soundstage. In the other hand, The A55 with Walkman One fw has more dinamik, with bright tuning it manage to sound close to neutral, but has a good texture even as LDAC reciever. A55 become more enjoyable with my mixed playlist. overall good allrounder. Big plus with battery life on A55, and lot of tuning option with further updates from mrwalkman

Thank you :beerchug: I've tried the Hiby R3, and R5, both tuning is a bit dull, just like the sound signature coming out from a regular android phone. I like the Sony tuning, which is very addictive, but they haven't launch any new product for a long time. I think the A55 is very good budget choice to come back to the Sony family, now with the value-added Walkman One fw :o2smile:

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #5,953 of 8,231
I often debate what an 'upgrade' to my 1A might entail but as I adore what I hear, I'm afraid I'll be left disappointed and out of pocket. Curious though still, especially with the high praise of R2R - the Cayin N6ii Ti very tempting, shame no way no try DAPs here in Ireland.

Loving the latest firmware anyway, I'm using the 1Z in normal mode and it sounds incredible.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #5,955 of 8,231
Wow! How did you make that case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back