Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #5,611 of 8,232
Same here! đź‘Ť
I had planned to stick with Midnight v2 (for WM1A) for at least a week, but this morning I just had to flash back to Dawn v2 (FEv2 tuning; Plus v2; different DAC mode). I just prefer a less smoothed-over sound. That said, I remain astounded that we have such stark choices via firmware.
Me too. Having switched back from being a year on J I am enjoying E. I haven't tried MX3 yet, from the charts there doesn't seem to be a vast difference, have you tried?

I understand why but still find it slightly odd that there are different tunings for each region. Obviously not everyone fits in a box, how many people feel they got it right for their region? @gerelmx1986 what's your impression of MX/MX3? Does it seeming fitting for you?

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #5,612 of 8,232
Midnight v2 (for ZX300/A)

Following the recent "trend", this is based on the WM1A/Z firmware, with similar improved sound quality!

• Your device configuration prior to installing this firmware will be backed up internally and
replaced. This means you'll notice different player options being set/audio played hours, which is normal.
• The device configuration will be restored when using the StockRevert package to how
it was before installing this firmware (including audio played hours).

You'll have to revert back to stock before installing this. Find past StockRevert packages on the website.

Read more info (please) and download this firmware here.

There was an unforeseen issue with the mod, which was fixed. If you managed to install
the unfixed Midnight v2 for ZX300 and you have display-related issues, send me a PM please.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #5,613 of 8,232
Somewhere in these players' kernel there is a BPR (bit-level packet recovery) WiFi key - these devices could support WiFi if Sony wanted to make them to, so this is just a remnant.

This is that key's value, sort of an easter egg I guess(?) - it seems it's something from Japanese classical literature:

"The pealing of the bells of the Jetavana temple ring with the sound of the impermanence of all material things. The color of the paired Sala trees gives witness to the truth that all who flourish must necessarily perish."

A bit of continuation of this is: "Those who flaunt their pleasures are not long for the world; they are as brief as the dream of a Spring night. And the brave ones are vanquished in the end; they are merely as specks of dust before the wind."

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #5,614 of 8,232
MX3 just works best on 3.00 or Dmp 1.01 its the right element for it but its piercing holograms just work better and faster on 1A, they lack the bass present on this new FW releases wich its nice specially on midnight V2 plus mode bass its very good.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #5,615 of 8,232
Re: region E vs. region MX3

Disclaimer: my auditory memory sucks.

I used region E pretty much exclusively prior to switching to MX3 a few weeks ago. Honestly, the only differences I can discern **to MY ears** is MX3 is ever so slightly more resolving....maybe, hahaha. I sometimes miss the slight reverb that E provides; E maybe has a bit more bass rumble, but MX3 a bit "cleaner"....keep in mind, to my ears, these are all very subtle differences, and this was all on FEv2 prior to the release of Dawn v2 (I have not used region E on the new Dawn v2 as I am very happy with MX3).

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #5,618 of 8,232
Yes, I too face a similar issue. When I stream LDAC from my wm1a to my Bluetooth receiver, it is very choppy and unplayable as well. With remote as well. Was ok with the previous firmwares. probably the same bug that is causing issues with Bluetooth receiver mode as well.
Regarding the problems I had mentioned with the BT Receiver functionality and the Remote, I noticed after reinstalling the stock fw yesterday on both the ZX300 and the WM1A (while waiting for the new version of Dawn v2! ) that I also encountered them with the stock fws. So in my particular case, in any case, and with my phone running Android 10 (Sony XZ2), my problem is independent of the fw offered by MrWalkman.

Whenever I use my phone as the source for the BT Receiver, and the file is not stored on the phone memory (Apple Music, music stored on my Auralic server) and access to the file requires the network WIFI, I have disturbances on the DAP when on my phone the wireless playback quality is set to "Preferred audio quality". But I no longer have any disturbance if the playback quality is set to "Optimal".

For files stored on the phone's internal memory, I can choose the best quality without disturbance.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #5,619 of 8,232
Regarding the problems I had mentioned with the BT Receiver functionality and the Remote, I noticed after reinstalling the stock fw yesterday on both the ZX300 and the WM1A (while waiting for the new version of Dawn v2! ) that I also encountered them with the stock fws. So in my particular case, in any case, and with my phone running Android 10 (Sony XZ2), my problem is independent of the fw offered by MrWalkman.

Whenever I use my phone as the source for the BT Receiver, and the file is not stored on the phone memory (Apple Music, music stored on my Auralic server) and access to the file requires the network WIFI, I have disturbances on the DAP when on my phone the wireless playback quality is set to "Preferred audio quality". But I no longer have any disturbance if the playback quality is set to "Optimal".

For files stored on the phone's internal memory, I can choose the best quality without disturbance.

Yes, @aceedburn realized that turning off native DSD over 3.5 doesn't help.

Also, I get no issues while playing music with LDAC with best quality from the A50 to the 1A, for example.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #5,620 of 8,232

Yeah. I use Sony xz premium and have to set the phone to LDAC at best effort to play well with the BT receiver on the 1A. But i can use my Sony xz premium with my bt5.0 receiver with my hifi at LDAC set at sound priority mode without issues. Also works well at that setting for my Sony LDAC portable speaker. I think it’s because the Walkman uses bt 4.2 and it can’t handle the high res streaming perhaps? Xz premium has bt 5.0.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,621 of 8,232
Yeah. I use Sony xz premium and have to set the phone to LDAC at best effort to play well with the BT receiver on the 1A. But i can use my Sony xz premium with my bt5.0 receiver with my hifi at LDAC set at sound priority mode without issues. Also works well at that setting for my Sony LDAC portable speaker. I think it’s because the Walkman uses bt 4.2 and it can’t handle the high res streaming perhaps? Xz premium has bt 5.0.
Your hypothesis seems convincing. My Xperia XZ2 is also in Bluetooth 5.0

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #5,622 of 8,232
I think the volume is to low on a lot of my headphones on the new firmware. Only way is to use direct source really. Anyone else has this problem? Of course I could always have the volume att 110-120 and make it work but I don't like to do that.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #5,623 of 8,232
When using Gain Mode set to default, it should be the same like with the stock firmware. There's nothing changed in that regard.

With my Z7M2 I use the same volume (about 75-80) as with any previous firmware.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,625 of 8,232
When using Gain Mode set to default, it should be the same like with the stock firmware. There's nothing changed in that regard.

With my Z7M2 I use the same volume (about 75-80) as with any previous firmware.
Yes I’m still at 40 on my JH13 just as I was with FEv2. I’m constantly amazed at the sq the A55 is able to produce now with Midnight. Hope the Dawn also comes

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back