Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 6, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #5,598 of 8,232
:beerchug:
With this new firmware, it's definitely more comfortable to change Region, activate Remote .. Though, I didn't understand what alternate DAC exactly means and does.
I will use it as BT remote player for a few days and see if, combined with my smartphone ZFold3, it can be a good or the best way as a Dlna/Qobuz/AmzonHD renderer.
Basically, I like a lot the EQ/DSEE-AI of the WM1A though it's not a parametric EQ, it's really efficient for Qobuz/AmazonHD played through my closed Headphones (Z7M2/Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas) which both need some EQ to be at best.
As the remote control RMT-NWS20 can control the smartphone too, though the BT connection is done with the NW1A (Volume, play/pause, Track FF/RW), it's comfortable to keep in pockets both the smartphone and the WM1A and play with the remote while walking.

As theoretically, BT requires less batteries than USB-DAC, I hope I will reach more than 10 hours a day battery life

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #5,599 of 8,232
i cant change the icons colour on new firmware... dunno why
After changing it in the settings file you need to save it and then disconnect your Walkman from the computer and then restart. It should work ok. Also make sure there’s no space in the text.

Eg color=2

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #5,600 of 8,232
After a Nayparm mod the only difference between a modded 1A and a modded 1Z is the copper casing and the extra 128GB storage so modding a 1A is by far better value. I have never heard a stock 1A but my modded 1Z is better than the stock 1Z. Actually mine has a 1A board as the 1Z board got destryoed when a faulty battery leaked.
Oh my. That is very impressive! Though now i am a bit warry on getting my 1a modded, ive left it in my car in the searing sun once hopefully nothing wrong happened to it inside.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #5,602 of 8,232
Everything works nice. The issue arises when I use Nwa40 in Bluetooth reciever mode . Suddenly the music stops with a constant stutter sound. I have to restart the player to get it fixed.
Same situation on A50. I believe MrWalkman is investigating it.
Hopefully yes.

It only happens (not for everyone and not all the time) when using the Plus v2 mode and BT Receiver with the screen off. Unfortunately the potential fix doesn't work, and I'm out of ideas at the moment. If you use BT Receiver a lot, consider trying the Plus v1 mode or the Normal mode.

:beerchug:
With this new firmware, it's definitely more comfortable to change Region, activate Remote .. Though, I didn't understand what alternate DAC exactly means and does.
I will use it as BT remote player for a few days and see if, combined with my smartphone ZFold3, it can be a good or the best way as a Dlna/Qobuz/AmzonHD renderer.
Basically, I like a lot the EQ/DSEE-AI of the WM1A though it's not a parametric EQ, it's really efficient for Qobuz/AmazonHD played through my closed Headphones (Z7M2/Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas) which both need some EQ to be at best.
As the remote control RMT-NWS20 can control the smartphone too, though the BT connection is done with the NW1A (Volume, play/pause, Track FF/RW), it's comfortable to keep in pockets both the smartphone and the WM1A and play with the remote while walking.

As theoretically, BT requires less batteries than USB-DAC, I hope I will reach more than 10 hours a day battery life

The "Different" mode basically disables some kind of additional processing done to the sound. Those things are normally used by smaller players for noise cancelling, which our WM1/ZX300 players don't have.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #5,603 of 8,232
It only happens (not for everyone and not all the time) when using the Plus v2 mode and BT Receiver with the screen off. Unfortunately the potential fix doesn't work, and I'm out of ideas at the moment. If you use BT Receiver a lot, consider trying the Plus v1 mode or the Normal mode.
Thanks for the way out MrWalkman. You are a legend indeed.

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,604 of 8,232
Oh my. That is very impressive! Though now i am a bit warry on getting my 1a modded, ive left it in my car in the searing sun once hopefully nothing wrong happened to it inside.
Nayparm was unlucky to get a batch of dud batteries so at his own expense he had to get 2 new boards (2 players were damaged) and redo the mods. Sterling customer service and I’ve used the player for a year since with no problems

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #5,605 of 8,232
Almost finishing the ZX300 release.

From some initial testing, Dawn v2 has more slam than previous Dawn/FE releases :)

More testing is required first, and then a release should come in several days.

Edit: While listening to the 1A with Midnight v2 for 1A, I teared up at certain songs. I had a relative trying the 1A just know and they did the same at some song they chose to play via BT Receiver. They now want to get at least an A50.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #5,606 of 8,232
Nayparm was unlucky to get a batch of dud batteries so at his own expense he had to get 2 new boards (2 players were damaged) and redo the mods. Sterling customer service and I’ve used the player for a year since with no problems
Thats reassuring to hear. Hopefully nothing goes wrong when i decide to get mine modded.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,607 of 8,232
With all due consideration I don't think that the WM1A is subpar or inferior to the WM1Z the 1A simply serves a different audience. WM1A is deliberately more reference with Sony's house sound toned down. I suspect to draw in the more traditional audiophile audience and the average listener willing to spend.

WM1Z is very much full the on Sony house sound, a treat for the fans of the house signature, nor is anything remotely wrong. Sony has played some clever games with SW, made some adjustments to the HW boosted the pricing in the face of the competition. Yet mostly the major difference in sound signature is in the SW...

Being different does not equal less, inferior or worse, simply different...

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #5,609 of 8,232
I had planned to stick with Midnight v2 (for WM1A) for at least a week, but this morning I just had to flash back to Dawn v2 (FEv2 tuning; Plus v2; different DAC mode). I just prefer a less smoothed-over sound. That said, I remain astounded that we have such stark choices via firmware.
Same here! 👍

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #5,610 of 8,232
No worries, hopefully the future Dawn v2 can manage to sound better than the current one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back