Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,581 of 8,232
I’m so impressed with my A55 on the latest Midnight it’s got me considering straight upgrading all the way to a 1A. Someone convince me they’re close enough in sound that I’d only be doing it for balanced out and a bigger screen at the cost of extreme bulk and several hundred dollars 😭
You don’t actually want anyone to answer you, I for example have both… and the answer isn’t a good one.

Unless you have the spare cash, live in ignorant bliss!

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,582 of 8,232
Haha it’s what I feared. I value portability though and listen mainly on earbuds (highest impedance drivers I own are 150ohm) so right now the A55 absolutely kills it pound for pound in terms of SQ and portability. I regret selling my ZX300 literally 7 days ago.. I kept it because it was the best of both worlds as far as having a balanced output and good form factor plus Sony OS, but the SQ was too similar to my ZX507 and I do use streaming so I ended up selling it.

I think for now it’s best to just appreciate what MrWalkman has done on a firmware level and appreciate the player I have right now, this hobby makes it easy to forget to practice gratitude!

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #5,583 of 8,232
Haha it’s what I feared. I value portability though and listen mainly on earbuds (highest impedance drivers I own are 150ohm) so right now the A55 absolutely kills it pound for pound in terms of SQ and portability. I regret selling my ZX300 literally 7 days ago.. I kept it because it was the best of both worlds as far as having a balanced output and good form factor plus Sony OS, but the SQ was too similar to my ZX507 and I do use streaming so I ended up selling it.

I think for now it’s best to just appreciate what MrWalkman has done on a firmware level and appreciate the player I have right now, this hobby makes it easy to forget to practice gratitude!

Yeah, ZX300 will get the same treatment, could've been kind of a replacement for a 1A :)

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,584 of 8,232
I’m so impressed with my A55 on the latest Midnight it’s got me considering straight upgrading all the way to a 1A. Someone convince me they’re close enough in sound that I’d only be doing it for balanced out and a bigger screen at the cost of extreme bulk and several hundred dollars 😭
Had I had the A55 with MrWalkman’s fw I probably would never have bough my 1Z as the A55 would have then been plenty good enough for my travel rig needs. That said the 1Z (again with MrWalkman’s fw and further hw modded by Nayparm) is clearly much better but much bigger and heavier and much, much, much more expensive (today I could not have afforded to buy a 1Z)

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,585 of 8,232
(today I could not have afforded to buy a 1Z)

Same for me with the 1A.

But then, we wouldn't have all this. Of course, I didn't buy a 1A to do all this, but it definitely helped having it.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5,586 of 8,232
the default settings of the new midnight for 1a is unreal especially if you go plus mode v1... I'm lost for words.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #5,587 of 8,232
It got me thinking to just go and get me a 1z alongside the 1a i know its much more costly but my gut feeling says that it's a much more worth it investment than to sell off the 1a and get the new sp2000T. This is just unreal.

Edit: Now to just find the funds to buy one lol!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #5,588 of 8,232
It got me thinking to just go and get me a 1z alongside the 1a i know its much more costly but my gut feeling says that it's a much more worth it investment than to sell off the 1a and get the new sp1000T. This is just unreal.

Edit: Now to just find the funds to buy one lol!

Yep, that difference, while small, especially with Midnight v2 for 1A, might justify the cost difference for you.

I can't afford the 1Z, but if I could, I'd rather spend the (less) money getting the 1A fully modded by Nayparm to be honest.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #5,589 of 8,232
Currently testing a potential fix for the ocasional BT Receiver with screen off issue.

Also, the audio stuttering when playing audio to BT Receiver via LDAC with priority on sound quality (over priority on connection) on the 3.5 port seems to be caused by the native DSD over the 3.5 port feature being enabled (thanks to @aceedburn for testing this).

I will add an option in the settings file to enable/disable this feature.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #5,590 of 8,232
Currently testing a potential fix for the ocasional BT Receiver with screen off issue.

Also, the audio stuttering when playing audio to BT Receiver via LDAC with priority on sound quality (over priority on connection) on the 3.5 port seems to be caused by the native DSD over the 3.5 port feature being enabled (thanks to @aceedburn for testing this).

Indeed. Disabling DSD over 3.5mm gave me crystal clear LDAC audio quality and no more stuttering when LDAC is set to priority on sound quality or freezing when screen is off in Bluetooth DAC mode. Thanks for the fix @MrWalkman

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,591 of 8,232

Ahh, i wonder if that’s why I’ve never picked up on it, as I only ever use the 4.4 port…

In other news, I’ve been listening all day, and been very happy - I believe texturing is definitely improved over previous iterations… very very good.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #5,592 of 8,232
Ahh, i wonder if that’s why I’ve never picked up on it, as I only ever use the 4.4 port…

In other news, I’ve been listening all day, and been very happy - I believe texturing is definitely improved over previous iterations… very very good.

In any case, it doesn't depend on the "Sound Quality Preffered" setting in the player, but on the "Best Qualiry" setting that some streaming devices can set for LDAC. The default setting for streaming devices via LDAC is "Best Effort", as it is on my Galaxy S10e.

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #5,593 of 8,232
Yep, that difference, while small, especially with Midnight v2 for 1A, might justify the cost difference for you.

I can't afford the 1Z, but if I could, I'd rather spend the (less) money getting the 1A fully modded by Nayparm to be honest.
Oh thats not a bad idea! I was also thinking of getting the 1a modded at some point.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #5,595 of 8,232
Oh thats not a bad idea! I was also thinking of getting the 1a modded at some point.
After a Nayparm mod the only difference between a modded 1A and a modded 1Z is the copper casing and the extra 128GB storage so modding a 1A is by far better value. I have never heard a stock 1A but my modded 1Z is better than the stock 1Z. Actually mine has a 1A board as the 1Z board got destryoed when a faulty battery leaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back