Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,981 of 8,217
I might not have worded it well, I meant my D5200 and the D7200 and D9200 may share a similar overall signature. Love the wood cups.

When I purchased my D5200 in Japan I also picked up a 4.4mm cable to use with my ZX300 I was using at the time. It was a quality Japanese brand but was designed for portable devices so was quite thin. I've experienced improvements with upgrade cables before so always wanted to try a higher quality cable, I got a really low priced Sony Kimber cable off a local auction site.
The screw connectors pull back and the 3.5mm connectors fit well, I had no issues.
For my D5200 I swear the Sony Kimber gave it a more weighty sound with a lot more detail.
The main problem I had with the D5200 when I had it was that while sold as a closed headphone it really was a semi closed design and it leaked sound in and out like crazy so I had to sell it

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4,982 of 8,217
The main problem I had with the D5200 when I had it was that while sold as a closed headphone it really was a semi closed design and it leaked sound in and out like crazy so I had to sell it
Yes, I had totally forgotten. I was happy to find the Z1R to be much better.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,983 of 8,217
No, you did! Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was just speaking about the differences between the two flagships for the fun of it.

mmm I see - thank you! As I dont know how to really differentiate between the authentic and fake Sony Kimber, I'm going to go for the Arctic Cables Magnus. I also love how they look :)

I wonder if I'll be able to notice a difference in sound. I'm upgrading from a FiiO Q3 to a WM1Z. Safe to say it's a big upgrade.

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #4,984 of 8,217
No, you did! Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was just speaking about the differences between the two flagships for the fun of it.

mmm I see - thank you! As I dont know how to really differentiate between the authentic and fake Sony Kimber, I'm going to go for the Arctic Cables Magnus. I also love how they look :)

I wonder if I'll be able to notice a difference in sound. I'm upgrading from a FiiO Q3 to a WM1Z. Safe to say it's a big upgrade.
I am very happy with my Z1R but in the back of my mind I've always wondered how the D9200 might compare - good to see your opinion.
If you are still considering the Sony Kimber I can find the post with the pictures showing how to spot a fake.
The Arctic cables look good, and there are a few others I've also been tempted by as the Sony Kimber weave seems to cause odd twisting. Before ordering it may pay to check what choices people recommend for the D9200 ie. copper, SPC etc as although the differences may be relatively minor they can have enough of an impact on the sound to maybe add a bit too much to one of the frequencies.
FiiO products offer very good sound and value for money but I think you'll find the 1Z, with the firmwares will stand head and shoulders above it - with your D9200 you'll be in for a treat.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #4,985 of 8,217
Well I went and did it...
I am very happy with my Z1R but in the back of my mind I've ways wondered how the D9200 might compare - good to see your opinion.
If you are still considering the Sony Kimber I can find the post with the pictures showing how to spot a fake.
The Arctic cables look good, and there are a few others I've also been tempted by as the Sony Kimber weave seems to cause odd twisting. Before ordering it may pay to check what choices people recommend for the D9200 ie. copper, SPC etc as although the differences may be relatively minor they can have enough of an impact on the sound to maybe add a bit too much to one of the frequencies.
FiiO products offer very good sound and value for money but I think you'll find the 1Z, with the firmwares will stand head and shoulders above it - with your D9200 you'll be in for a treat.
That was me when I had the Z1R. They’re very different experiences. That’s the reason I can see myself having both to be honest. And that’s odd for me as I’m a minimalist. The Z1R is relaxing to listen to but the 9200 wows me with its detail retrieval. I love both of them and think they’re an extremely complementary pair. I wish I hadn’t sold my Z1R! I will say that the 9200 is built better. That may seem weird considering the Z1R is built impeccably but it’s true. The denon is very solid to hold and I don’t think there are any plastic parts on it. All milled aluminum.

Yeah I followed recommendations and chose pure copper (Magnus). Still skeptical about any sound differences but we will find out! With the 1Z + Magnus + D9200, I think I’ve truly reached endgame.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #4,986 of 8,217
Question for all of you knowledgeable folk: what MrWalkman firmware do you think will suit the character of the Denon AH-D9200? Dawn or Midnight?

The character of the headphone is slightly V shaped but more neutral and analytical than the Z1R. Does anyone have any experience with the latest firmware and the denons?

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #4,987 of 8,217
Question for all of you knowledgeable folk: what MrWalkman firmware do you think will suit the character of the Denon AH-D9200? Dawn or Midnight?

The character of the headphone is slightly V shaped but more neutral and analytical than the Z1R. Does anyone have any experience with the latest firmware and the denons?
I don’t have experience with the denons but I was the lead tester for all custom firmwares for the Walkman. Judging by the sound sig of the D9200 you described, Midnight would be the most suitable as it adds some warmth. Some may say it’s too warm, but it’s just right for me. As we all have different sound preferences it’s best to test them both out and decide for yourself.
I have however gravitated to Chameleon 2.0 since. I find this to be my preferred firmware. It’s gives me all the stock sound goodness of the 1Z and sounds great with all my headphones. It also adds much more features as with the other recent firmwares as well.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #4,988 of 8,217
I don’t have experience with the denons but I was the lead tester for all custom firmwares for the Walkman. Judging by the sound sig of the D9200 you described, Midnight would be the most suitable as it adds some warmth. Some may say it’s too warm, but it’s just right for me. As we all have different sound preferences it’s best to test them both out and decide for yourself.
I have however gravitated to Chameleon 2.0 since. I find this to be my preferred firmware. It’s gives me all the stock sound goodness of the 1Z and sounds great with all my headphones. It also adds much more features as with the other recent firmwares as well.
Perfect, thanks for that! The owner had DMP-FEv2 installed on it. I guess I will try midnight first and go from there.

I have a Mac but am downloading windows through boot camp to do the mods. So I just double click the stock revert file when the dap is connected? Then apply stock tuning followed by midnight and midnight external tuning?

or do I have to drop the file into a folder on the dap?

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #4,989 of 8,217

Midnight sounds like it may be suited to your Denons but I have sometimes found that the firmware traits don't always align exactly with your headphone signature giving the results I expected so also give Dawn a go, then go back and try FEv2 again. It is recommended to give them a decent amount of time to get used to each one before trying the next.

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,990 of 8,217
Midnight sounds like it may be suited to your Denons but I have sometimes found that the firmware traits don't always align exactly with your headphone signature giving the results I expected so also give Dawn a go, then go back and try FEv2 again. It is recommended to give them a decent amount of time to get used to each one before trying the next.
Thanks - very helpful.

Also, how do you change regions? For some reason, I can't find that info on MrWalkman's site. Thanks and sorry for the nooby questions.

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #4,991 of 8,217
Perfect, thanks for that! The owner had DMP-FEv2 installed on it. I guess I will try midnight first and go from there.

I have a Mac but am downloading windows through boot camp to do the mods. So I just double click the stock revert file when the dap is connected? Then apply stock tuning followed by midnight and midnight external tuning?

or do I have to drop the file into a folder on the dap?
Since you have FEv2 then double click on the stock revert file as well as the external tuning revert file. And then go ahead and install midnight followed by the external tuning file. And then use the hold button for either the plus or classic version as it’s a dual tuning in 1. Hold switch in off position will always boot into classic and hold switch in on position will boot into plus.

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4,992 of 8,217
Since you have FEv2 then double click on the stock revert file as well as the external tuning revert file. And then go ahead and install midnight followed by the external tuning file. And then use the hold button for either the plus or classic version as it’s a dual tuning in 1. Hold switch in off position will always boot into classic and hold switch in on position will boot into plus.
Thank you! So double click stock revert and then it will restart. After that, click the external tuning? Or do you double click both at the same time?

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,993 of 8,217
Thanks - very helpful.

Also, how do you change regions? For some reason, I can't find that info on MrWalkman's site. Thanks and sorry for the nooby questions.
You're welcome - just sharing my experience which I hope maybe helpful.
I can't recall the name of the tool to change regions nor the link, I'm sure someone will answer that for you soon.

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #4,994 of 8,217

Users who are viewing this thread

Back