Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #4,816 of 8,324
This is only for 1z I presume?
I'm try to pushing 1Z to it full potential first and try to use that as a standard for tuning 1A counterpart. WM1A Eclipse is still far from finish.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #4,817 of 8,324
Eclipse tune for NW-WM1Z >> Here
"Please follow the included instruction inside"

Tuned on low gain in J region FW 3.02. Sorry for the long wait 1Z people. Here is my best tune to date.
As Mr Walkman is well known for his work perhaps you might want to add some details and explanation of your tunings for people who may not be familiar with your previous work - for example is this recommended to be applied to stock 3.02 or any of the custom roms? Also a description or comparison with past tunings.
I have a 1A so will wait for that one.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #4,818 of 8,324
Why are we talking about new DAPs? I don’t need a new DAP? We are programmed to consume. But newer is not always better. Go back and listen to some IEMs that are from 4 years ago, ones that were passed by because they were “old”, you may be surprised at what you find. An example is one pair was three years old at 389.00 and it did have a more forward and detailed midrange, and it’s a question of taste if that is correct? Still that midrange was more metallic? But for many when it first came out it was just more detailed. One just did everything right, yet was slightly lackluster?

I think anything new will be different sounding but maybe not better? Plus we have all the advantages and advancements of custom firmware?
I am still using my 6 years old Layla with WM1Z

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #4,819 of 8,324
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,820 of 8,324
Jun 2, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,821 of 8,324
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,822 of 8,324
I'm try to pushing 1Z to it full potential first and try to use that as a standard for tuning 1A counterpart. WM1A Eclipse is still far from finish.
Well, I'm really happy for your comeback. Longtime no see haha. As always, I'm looking forward to hearing the 1A version from you. Thanks in advance.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #4,823 of 8,324
As Mr Walkman is well known for his work perhaps you might want to add some details and explanation of your tunings for people who may not be familiar with your previous work - for example is this recommended to be applied to stock 3.02 or any of the custom roms? Also a description or comparison with past tunings.
I have a 1A so will wait for that one.
Thanks! I updated :wink:
Well, I'm really happy for your comeback. Longtime no see haha. As always, I'm looking forward to hearing the 1A version from you. Thanks in advance.
Now I that I'm done with 1Z, I can fully concentrate on 1A.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,824 of 8,324
Thanks! I updated :wink:

Now I that I'm done with 1Z, I can fully concentrate on 1A.
I respect this is your work and my intention is not to compare your tunings to Mr Walkman's firmwares, this is just an honest question: as Mr Walkman's firmwares have added some features that I deem to be valuable, would it be possible to apply your tunings to his base firmwares? Or are his base firmwares (before the tuning is applied) drastically different and utterly not compatible?

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #4,825 of 8,324
I respect this is your work and my intention is not to compare your tunings to Mr Walkman's firmwares, this is just an honest question: as Mr Walkman's firmwares have added some features that I deem to be valuable, would it be possible to apply your tunings to his base firmwares? Or are his base firmwares (before the tuning is applied) drastically different and utterly not compatible?
In theory, yes, it will work. You are welcome to try. Mr Walkman firmware has some improvement over the OEM sound profile already. An already warm sounding firmware mix with another warm tune on top might be too much of the good thing. You know what I mean. I haven't try it myself.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,826 of 8,324
In theory, yes, it will work. You are welcome to try. Mr Walkman firmware has some improvement over the OEM sound profile already. An already warm sounding firmware mix with another warm tune on top might be too much of the good thing. You know what I mean. I haven't try it myself.
I would prefer to try your tuning as intended with stock, I was just curious if you had tried or if it was possible. As everyone's tastes and gear vary it they may pair well for some. Thanks

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #4,827 of 8,324
Hi. Just scored my second Sony dap, zx300, and wm1a is incoming. Had A45 first. I’ve a lot of catching up to do. I have a noob question. If there’s a better place to ask, let me know. Don’t want to bog.
Anyways, my AIF file tags are not organized/read properly by zx300. Is there a work around, or do I have to convert to flac? Thanks

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #4,828 of 8,324
Eclipse tune for NW-WM1Z >> Here
"Please follow the included instruction inside"

1Z is all about the full warm sound with big thick bass. Both treble and bass have good extension. Very expressive and soulful kind of sound. Eclipse tune try to preserve all those good stuff with some more improvements on top.

Bass are larger, tighter and more texture. Also deeper and more layering.
Mid are significantly more resolved and maintaining warmth. Better imaging, separation and quite species. Great soundstage in all xyz axies.
High are smoother and never too bright.

Great for both long or short period listening. Also great on both brighter and warmer gears. Tuned on low gain in J region FW 3.02.

Sorry for the long wait 1Z people. Here is my best tune to date.
Just to clarify, are these the instructions you make reference?

"PLEASE NOTICE"
IF you had MOD firmware installed before, Please make sure it returned to stock and update "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) first. This will restore the sound of your walkman to original OEM.
For fully stock WM1Z/1A, you may skip the step above.
After installed Eclipse tune, Please reboot walkman twice.
----------------

Would running "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) again will uninstall Eclipse tuning?
I am just curious, where/how did you hear/learn that repeating the NW-WM1_V3_02.exe process 4 times will surely make it work as intended?

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #4,829 of 8,324
Just to clarify, are these the instructions you make reference?

"PLEASE NOTICE"
IF you had MOD firmware installed before, Please make sure it returned to stock and update "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) first. This will restore the sound of your walkman to original OEM.
For fully stock WM1Z/1A, you may skip the step above.
After installed Eclipse tune, Please reboot walkman twice.
----------------

Would running "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) again will uninstall Eclipse tuning?
I am just curious, where/how did you hear/learn that repeating the NW-WM1_V3_02.exe process 4 times will surely make it work as intended?
Just install official update once if you want to go stock or just go ahead install any mod firmwares if you like.

After "return to stock" from any mod firmwares, the walkman may sound a bit more toward north of neutral overall. Not quite as spacious, airy or sweet sounding. Install 3.02 update 4 times fixed for me.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #4,830 of 8,324
Just install official update once if you want to go stock or just go ahead install any mod firmwares if you like.

After "return to stock" from any mod firmwares, the walkman may sound a bit more toward north of neutral overall. Not quite as spacious, airy or sweet sounding. Install 3.02 update 4 times fixed for me.
Thanks for clarifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back