Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #4,472 of 8,209
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #4,473 of 8,209
The ZX300 “test” @MrWalkman sent me two months ago, for Midnight & Dawn, really is insane ! ( Midnight ) is the best audio I’ve EVER heard. The resolution of it, just shows ALL the detail, detail not heard before. The timbre of each instrument, you can “feel” it, not just hear it. The vocals are SO CLEAR, like NEVER BEFORE ! The thing is, it’s not just the lead vocals, but the background vocals are just as clear, now. It’s actually like the artist, band, orchestra is actually in your head ! Imagine listening to your 5.1 multi channel SACD’s / DVD-A discs, but in your head. This is just what it’s like.
If this is the final test for the ZX300, I’d be more than happy, but I know @MrWalkman did indicate the intention for more work on the ZX300. I honestly can’t imagine anything better than this though ?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #4,474 of 8,209
I'm still around, and ZX300 and the other players will still receive new things. I recently figured out a way to do some small UI changes, and I hope to succeed at making the 1A/1Z player app fit on the ZX300/AXX players' screen.

In the meanwhile I've been using the A45, running the 1A/Z firmware, and it sounds absolutely great. Once I'll manage (I hope) to make the app fit properly, this will come for all the other players (ZX300/AXX), and it's gonna be awesome.

As for a WM1A, @Nayparm at npaudio.uk was kind enough to just send me a used WM1A, which also has Black Gate capacitors on the balanced output, as well as some other better capacitors for the power supply part. I'm really curious about the sound, and waiting to continue with the next update.

If this is the final test for the ZX300, I’d be more than happy, but I know @MrWalkman did indicate the intention for more work on the ZX300. I honestly can’t imagine anything better than this though ?

We shall see :)

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #4,475 of 8,209
I'm still around, and ZX300 and the other players will still receive new things. I recently figured out a way to do some small UI changes, and I hope to succeed at making the 1A/1Z player app fit on the ZX300/AXX players' screen.

In the meanwhile I've been using the A45, running the 1A/Z firmware, and it sounds absolutely great. Once I'll manage (I hope) to make the app fit properly, this will come for all the other players (ZX300/AXX), and it's gonna be awesome.

As for a WM1A, @Nayparm at npaudio.uk was kind enough to just send me a used WM1A, which also has Black Gate capacitors on the balanced output, as well as some other better capacitors for the power supply part. I'm really curious about the sound, and waiting to continue with the next update.

I can’t cope ! :beyersmile: Seriously, a personal thank you, from someone who is basically housebound, for the last 20 + years & no cure, so your musical transformations mean so much to me.....but I am overdoing it, into my 8th continuous album, since starting listening this afternoon....that’s just how addictive it is ! ( When I should be resting my brain. )

Reached the 700 hour playback yesterday evening, now on 710 hours, for a audio device I probably used the least out of my audio equipment, now I don’t play anything else, much.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #4,476 of 8,209
I finally made the jump. I had to buy Parallels (ugh) but it made the process easy. I could have booted into bootcamp but that's a big PITA for me since I've got so many open applications and my windows arranged just so. And I've got to actually get work done (double ugh) on my computer...

I went straight to the Midnight profile. Is that the best for the IER-Z1R? I'm spoiled by audio riches these days so I'm just basking in all the aural goodness right now. :)

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #4,477 of 8,209
O.K., I am awaiting my new WM1A** so am playing catch-up on all the firmware modding. I'm curious: is it also possible to mod the Music app features? Specifically, I've been using UAPP on my ZX507 the past few weeks and I LOVE it's layout and playback features. Just simple things like auto sorting albums under each artist by tagged release year; and how easy it is to add an album to the playback queue. I miss these features when going back to the stock music app.

** total credit to @MrWalkman because without his efforts, I would've ignored the WM1A even given my reluctance to pay more in the near future for Android-based DAPs (as I do not stream and dislike the battery life hit these Android devices have for features I don't want).

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #4,478 of 8,209
I finally made the jump. I had to buy Parallels (ugh) but it made the process easy. I could have booted into bootcamp but that's a big PITA for me since I've got so many open applications and my windows arranged just so. And I've got to actually get work done (double ugh) on my computer...

I went straight to the Midnight profile. Is that the best for the IER-Z1R? I'm spoiled by audio riches these days so I'm just basking in all the aural goodness right now. :)
Midnight is certainly my favourite but you need to try the different options to see which is best for you

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,479 of 8,209
O.K., I am awaiting my new WM1A** so am playing catch-up on all the firmware modding. I'm curious: is it also possible to mod the Music app features? Specifically, I've been using UAPP on my ZX507 the past few weeks and I LOVE it's layout and playback features. Just simple things like auto sorting albums under each artist by tagged release year; and how easy it is to add an album to the playback queue. I miss these features when going back to the stock music app.

** total credit to @MrWalkman because without his efforts, I would've ignored the WM1A even given my reluctance to pay more in the near future for Android-based DAPs (as I do not stream and dislike the battery life hit these Android devices have for features I don't want).
Probably not possible without access to the player app’s source code

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,480 of 8,209
I still prefer the Project Z in my WM1A. But I am waiting for that new Midnight V2, to see if the bass get back to the level of Project Z.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #4,481 of 8,209

I can’t cope ! :beyersmile: Seriously, a personal thank you, from someone who is basically housebound, for the last 20 + years & no cure, so your musical transformations mean so much to me.....but I am overdoing it, into my 8th continuous album, since starting listening this afternoon....that’s just how addictive it is ! ( When I should be resting my brain. )

Reached the 700 hour playback yesterday evening, now on 710 hours, for a audio device I probably used the least out of my audio equipment, now I don’t play anything else, much.
Rob, get a used 1A, or even better, Nayparm modded 1A. Huge, huge difference and you’ll love it!

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #4,483 of 8,209
Rob, get a used 1A, or even better, Nayparm modded 1A. Huge, huge difference and you’ll love it!

Haven’t heard of that mod ?? The number of times I was going to buy a 1A & didn’t & only got the ZX300 to try balanced & it was in a Amazon sale, good price. Of course @MrWalkman ’s amazing magic has transformed it now, even if the modded 1A is a further improvement.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #4,484 of 8,209

Wonderful news! I'm sure everyone here are also thankful to those kind people who sent you a 1A. Everyone will also benefit since you'll be able to play with it more. Just a concern I can think of is how the BG capacitors will affect your tuning process. I hope it won't be far different to stock for those who choose to keep theirs as stock. Nevertheless, we sure do hope you'll sort all things on your end may it be work, living condition, whatsoever. Thank you for staying with us here. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #4,485 of 8,209
Hehe. Sold my zx300 off too. 3 days after getting my 1A. Sold it for almost the same price I got it for back then too.
these Sonys. all across the line, are all holding their value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back