Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 16, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #4,486 of 8,232
Still using / highly enjoying the Midnight Plus w/ J region. Running the new Dunu EST 112, the level of detail retrieval is really something to be heard... The EST 112 is quite a special IEM btw... recommend it highly. The level of sound quality is well beyond the retail price.

I'm still around, and ZX300 and the other players will still receive new things. I recently figured out a way to do some small UI changes, and I hope to succeed at making the 1A/1Z player app fit on the ZX300/AXX players' screen.

In the meanwhile I've been using the A45, running the 1A/Z firmware, and it sounds absolutely great. Once I'll manage (I hope) to make the app fit properly, this will come for all the other players (ZX300/AXX), and it's gonna be awesome.

As for a WM1A, @Nayparm at npaudio.uk was kind enough to just send me a used WM1A, which also has Black Gate capacitors on the balanced output, as well as some other better capacitors for the power supply part. I'm really curious about the sound, and waiting to continue with the next update.

We shall see :)
welcome back my friend...hope all is well.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #4,487 of 8,232
1z firmware for a45?😮😳.
I'm still around, and ZX300 and the other players will still receive new things. I recently figured out a way to do some small UI changes, and I hope to succeed at making the 1A/1Z player app fit on the ZX300/AXX players' screen.

In the meanwhile I've been using the A45, running the 1A/Z firmware, and it sounds absolutely great. Once I'll manage (I hope) to make the app fit properly, this will come for all the other players (ZX300/AXX), and it's gonna be awesome.

As for a WM1A, @Nayparm at npaudio.uk was kind enough to just send me a used WM1A, which also has Black Gate capacitors on the balanced output, as well as some other better capacitors for the power supply part. I'm really curious about the sound, and waiting to continue with the next update.

We shall see :)
1z firmware for the a45?😳😱. When will it be released 😊?

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #4,488 of 8,232
Could someone help me here please? As most of us have been doing for the past couple of months I have been experimenting with all the different firmwares/updates etc.
I have a A45 and the other night I noticed that it I had high gain and it seemed to be based on the ZX300 when I checked it with the Scitool and command line but I cannot remember how I did it. Any help please cheers?
I thought it was just done by adding Mr Walkmans a50 firmware for the A40 but I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #4,489 of 8,232
Could someone help me here please? As most of us have been doing for the past couple of months I have been experimenting with all the different firmwares/updates etc.
I have a A45 and the other night I noticed that it I had high gain and it seemed to be based on the ZX300 when I checked it with the Scitool and command line but I cannot remember how I did it. Any help please cheers?
I thought it was just done by adding Mr Walkmans a50 firmware for the A40 but I'm wrong.
The high gain and other features were only available in the R versions of modded fw and they are no longer available as some players encountered errors

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #4,490 of 8,232
The high gain and other features were only available in the R versions of modded fw and they are no longer available as some players encountered errors
Thank you, do you know which fw it was and if its still available anywhere. As I said I had it on my A45 a couple of days ago but Ive got that much rubbish on my Laptop I cannot remember which file it was at all.
Cheers
I have the original A45 FE mod, A45 FE V2, Proj Z and the A45 1.02 A50 Mod on my laptop but cannot find the correct configuration to get the ZX back up.

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,491 of 8,232
Thank you, do you know which fw it was and if its still available anywhere. As I said I had it on my A45 a couple of days ago but Ive got that much rubbish on my Laptop I cannot remember which file it was at all.
Cheers
I have the original A45 FE mod, A45 FE V2, Proj Z and the A45 1.02 A50 Mod on my laptop but cannot find the correct configuration to get the ZX back up.
I don’t have an A45 so don’t have those fw but for the A55 it is these 2 that had the high gain and they are no longer available from MrWalkman

F015001E-1AD0-4744-8459-2105A673400A.jpeg

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4,493 of 8,232
I don’t have an A45 so don’t have those fw but for the A55 it is these 2 that had the high gain and they are no longer available from MrWalkman

F015001E-1AD0-4744-8459-2105A673400A.jpeg
Ahh I don't have those files for the A40 I'm not sure what's happened but I did have it on the other day. Thanks for your help
Does anyone have a link to the old F/W then please?

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4,494 of 8,232
Hi, all I'm new to this forum and haven't fully caught up. I do have a question. I have a WM1Z running 3.01 firmware, overall I'm really happy with the tuning. I'm curious if running "MrWalkman" firmware (Dawn or Midnight) would be a significant change in sound? From the little I've read via this page, the WM1A definitely improves.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #4,495 of 8,232
Hi, all I'm new to this forum and haven't fully caught up. I do have a question. I have a WM1Z running 3.01 firmware, overall I'm really happy with the tuning. I'm curious if running "MrWalkman" firmware (Dawn or Midnight) would be a significant change in sound? From the little I've read via this page, the WM1A definitely improves.
Hi Ryan, nice to hear from someone new here. Yes, Mr Walkman fw changes the sound, in huge positive way. Like completely transform what you’re hearing. Hard to describe, but highly recommend for you to check it out. Use your ear to make your own judgment. It’s very easy to install and uninstall and go back to 3.1 if you don’t like it for whatever reason. Google Mr Walkman blog, choose WM1A and go from there

Highly suggest the latest midnight or dawn version. See which one you like more. Easy to install and free

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #4,496 of 8,232
I’m listening to Come In Alone from Loveless right now. Wow. The growl of the guitar and strange way the music bends is intoxicating. I don’t know what MBV is doing on this song (and really throughout the album) but the way they play with rhythm of the various instruments is ear-bending. I think it’s one of the electric guitars where the music seems to be almost like a metal bar being bent and straightened. Non-newtonian fluid like. I can’t quite describe it but it’s just incredible.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #4,497 of 8,232
LOL...as I figured, I've run my new WM1A (far) less than 50 hours, and I've already flashed to custom firmware (Midnight). Terrific job Mr.Walkman, which is no surprise givne everything I've read over the months. I just tried to flash to Dawn just to see what the difference is, but when it came time ot install the external tuning, I kept getting a dialog telling me to connect my WM1A via USB (it most definitely was)... Zero clue what the issue is, but I couldn't aplly te tuning, so I just reapplied Midnight firmware & tuning with no issues and no error messages. Weird.

ETA: I'm a Mac user, so am emulating Windows via a W10 VM in VMWare Fusion.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #4,498 of 8,232
LOL...as I figured, I've run my new WM1A (far) less than 50 hours, and I've already flashed to custom firmware (Midnight). Terrific job Mr.Walkman, which is no surprise givne everything I've read over the months. I just tried to flash to Dawn just to see what the difference is, but when it came time ot install the external tuning, I kept getting a dialog telling me to connect my WM1A via USB (it most definitely was)... Zero clue what the issue is, but I couldn't aplly te tuning, so I just reapplied Midnight firmware & tuning with no issues and no error messages. Weird.

ETA: I'm a Mac user, so am emulating Windows via a W10 VM in VMWare Fusion.
Should be no issue as long as you follow the instructions;

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Connect the player to your PC and enable the Mass Storage mode on the player
2. Run "StockRevert_Midnight_Dawn.exe" on your computer to revert back to the stock firmware
3. Install StockRevert_external_tuning (run FirmwareUpdateTool.exe from inside the folder)

• For both steps 2 and 3 the player should restart into the update mode
and then the update bar on the player's screen should reach the end.
• The update bar on the player's screen is supposed to reach the end when executing step 2.

Then install Dawn FW & external tuning

Q-6

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #4,499 of 8,232
^^^ Ahhh, o.k., didn't realize I needed to revert to stock before going to a different CFW. I assumed I could directly move from Midnight to Dawn. Thanks for the headsup. I'll give it a shot later. Enjoying Midnight (Plus) so much right now, but still curious about Dawn.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,500 of 8,232
is midnight/dawn an upgrade to the dmp-wm1 fe (plus/classic) CFWs ?

sony wm1a stock , on J region

Users who are viewing this thread

Back