Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #3,256 of 8,249
Awesome, i used to take the wm1a out for walks, but as I’ve been toying around i used usb c dongles and the amazing qudelix 5k, portability has become more and more important, the zx300 and nw45a are amazing 2go but sometimes i want to stream only.
Have you used the Fiio version & if so, thoughts compared to the Qudelix?
Yes the ZX507 is a neat size and fits well in my pocket - I take it with me every day walking my dog and will definitely use it for travel again in the future - great to have apps like Audible etc on it too. Battery not great compared to the ZX300 but it charges pretty quickly and rare that I'm not near a socket, even if travelling.
How many hours roughly do you get out of your ZX507?

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,257 of 8,249
That was it!!!! You want Mr. Walkman's beer>. Just kidding Mr. Walkman

I really appreciate the support, and I hope you'll like it! :)

Awesome, i used to take the wm1a out for walks, but as I’ve been toying around i used usb c dongles and the amazing qudelix 5k, portability has become more and more important, the zx300 and nw45a are amazing 2go but sometimes i want to stream only.

At first I tried using Dragonfly Red/Cobalt attached to my S10e, but I don't like that - you have to be careful to not disconnect the USB DAC, and it's not comfortable at all taking it out of your pocket and doing stuff on your smartphone with that attached.

I personally liked BTR5 better as you can stream via BT - the BTR5 just stays somewhere in your pocket and your phone is free.

These days I either just listen directly from the 1A from the local library, or I'm just using the BT Receiver function, and my smartphone is free again - and BT Receiver sounds great, I'm not sure what others are hearing as bad when using this function 😅

I much rather prefer something like the WM1A and with a BT streaming option than Android DAPs.

By the way, found this in an article for Sony's first electric car, which is road testing in Austria.

SonyCar.jpg

Driveman 😅

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #3,258 of 8,249
Mr.Walkman, a question that I hope you can help.
Would changing the region also change anything in terms of audio output on FEv2 ?

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #3,259 of 8,249
Mr.Walkman, a question that I hope you can help.
Would changing the region also change anything in terms of audio output on FEv2 ?

Regions work as on the stock firmware.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #3,260 of 8,249
No, the better Android based DAP would be the Shanling M8. M15 offers a ton of power, not close in terms of build quality to WM1A. Sonically FiiO's M11 Pro is the better and I own one, nor overly care for it. M15 is warmer than M11 Pro, less technically competent. The DAP is good for those with high power demands.

Shanling is working through the software bugs on the M8, however it's sound signature is far closer to Sony's and with a good deal more power. M8 may see some reduction in pricing over the upcoming CNY, so far I've not seen any movement on pricing as the DAP is in demand and genuinely very good as Shanling know what they are doing. M8 is musical, very dynamic and enjoyable and even exceeds Sony in some aspects.

FWIW I'm an expat from the west with a permanent presence in SE Asia so I can easily audition the majority of portable audio.

Q-6
Same whereabouts as me?

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #3,261 of 8,249
Have you used the Fiio version & if so, thoughts compared to the Qudelix?

How many hours roughly do you get out of your ZX507?

Hard to say as I've been home due to lockdown since I got it at Christmas, I tend to charge sporadically when I see it has dropped below even 30%. I'd say around 12-15 hours or so and that's with battery saver on, WiFi off and a variety of other things disabled that I read about in the ZX507 thread. I must charge it fully and properly time my use.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #3,263 of 8,249
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,264 of 8,249
Since @MrWalkman released the FE+ firmware for the Sony WM1a and the great reviews it’s been getting with this firmware I couldn’t resist from purchasing one on Amazon. I have to wait until the weekend for delivery and I’m very excited. I was £811 but I hope it’s worth it. :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #3,265 of 8,249
Since @MrWalkman released the FE+ firmware for the Sony WM1a and the great reviews it’s been getting with this firmware I couldn’t resist from purchasing one on Amazon. I have to wait until the weekend for delivery and I’m very excited. I was £811 but I hope it’s worth it. :)

It's definitely gonna be an upgrade, based on the devices from your signature.

Welcome to the WM1 band!

Looking forward for your thoughts :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #3,266 of 8,249
wm1a is top bang-for-buck dap , imo

bought mine mint/like new from a headfier here back in 2017 for 900$ (750 euros) and i have clocked over 6000 hours of use

money well spent and then some more

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,267 of 8,249
Some good news :)

It seems that the same mod as in the last update for the WM1 firmware is also possible on the A50.

The WM1 update: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16123520

For now it will come only for the A50 FE version (the stock based one) as the A50R FE mod needs some attention regarding some issues that some users are encountering with the "An error has occurred" message.

I won't give an ETA, but it should come soon.

First, will come the ZX300 update, of course. (patience is a virtue :wink:).

Edit: it may also work on the A30/A40 players, but that will take more time.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,268 of 8,249
Wow, very nice for A50 owners !

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #3,269 of 8,249
Wow, very nice for A50 owners !

Indeed!

Listening now and I'm amazed again at how good this little player can sound. I could easily live with this if I didn't have the 1A and couldn't afford it or something.

But if things didn't happen in the way they happened, and I didn't have the 1A, I don't think that there would be any firmware mods available :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,270 of 8,249
Indeed!

Listening now and I'm amazed again at how good this little player can sound. I could easily live with this if I didn't have the 1A and couldn't afford it or something.

But if things didn't happen in the way they happened, and I didn't have the 1A, I don't think that there would be any firmware mods available :)

Yes if I really was on a tight budget and had to get rid of all my expensive gear the A55 and a Blon BL01 would still give me loads of music joy.

Edit: The new Blon Mini would replace the BL01 due to much better fit and (to me) slightly better sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back