Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,226 of 8,232
A last question, should the Direct-mode be affected by yours improvements ?

PS : I am comparing these last days the WM1A FE+ with the rather new A&K Kann Alpha and a brand new Centrance M8 V2 in BT mode and USB-DAC mode from a common source which is Galaxy Z Fold 2 with Qobuz Hires Music => the WM1A FE+ gives really the most pleasant results from the 3 players with a IER-Z1R IEM connected, for the Sony Z7M2, it's more often "on par" as the WM1A is still a bit under powered compared to the 2 other DAPs for this quite demanding Headphone.

Yes, anything that comes out of the headphone ports is affected

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #3,227 of 8,232
A last question, should the Direct-mode be affected by yours improvements ?

PS : I am comparing these last days the WM1A FE+ with the rather new A&K Kann Alpha and a brand new Centrance M8 V2 in BT mode and USB-DAC mode from a common source which is Galaxy Z Fold 2 with Qobuz Hires Music => the WM1A FE+ gives really the most pleasant results from the 3 players with a IER-Z1R IEM connected, for the Sony Z7M2, it's more often "on par" as the WM1A is still a bit under powered compared to the 2 other DAPs for this quite demanding Headphone.

As @nc8000 mentioned, yes, the improvements also apply to Direct Source (and BT Receiver).

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,228 of 8,232
16117424333361635150551684177511.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,229 of 8,232
As @nc8000 mentioned, yes, the improvements also apply to Direct Source (and BT Receiver).

So .. as it's difficult to compare different firmware with the WM1A (even with your new switching functionality), it is far more easy with different DACs or DAPs (USB and BT), and I am still impressed by what I get from the WM1A compared to my 3 other DACs (Fiio M11, A&K Kann Alpha & Centrance M8v2) with the IER-Z1R.
In fact, it's pity it still has a rather limited power for more demanding headphones (HEDDphone of course, but in some case the Z7M2 too)

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,230 of 8,232
Please excuse me if this question had been asked before. Would the custom OS firmware allow users to set their own browsing order? I would love to have “Genre -> Album” instead of “Genre -> Artist” which is found in the original OS. Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #3,231 of 8,232
Please excuse me if this question had been asked before. Would the custom OS firmware allow users to set their own browsing order? I would love to have “Genre -> Album” instead of “Genre -> Artist” which is found in the original OS. Thanks in advance.
Cheers

I don’t think that would be possible as I would expect such a change to require access to the source code of the player app

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,232 of 8,232
If anyone has a chance to demo the Dunu Zen with WM1a, please do so. It is a match made in head-fi heaven.

Dunu's ZEN is an excellent match up, another worthy contender is Fiio's FD5. ZEN is more coherent, less V shaped and best single DD IEM I've listened to or owned

From the ZEN thread;
Auditioned Dunu ZEN, FiiO FD5 & Moondrop Illumination locally on Sony WM1A (with custom firmware) & Hifiman R2R2K. ZEN easily came in first, FD5 wider staging, less in the midrange, highs a little pushed, however not sibilant, Illumination failed to impress, not bad, but not $800.

Sonically; ZEN, FD5, Illumination

IEM build quality; ZEN/FD5, Illumination

Cable; ZEN, FD5, Illumination

Value; FD5, Zen, Illumination

Overall ZEN is the most cohesive and tonally balanced, FD5 is more V shaped, Illumination didn't do anything for me, maybe trying far to hard too be reference and pricing accordingly... Dunu do tend to play it safe yet they know how to produce IEM's that are both technical & musical. For the asking price FD5 is outstanding value, yet potentially not the best choice for brighter sources. Illumination is IMO way overpriced, even the cable is significantly lacking compared to the competition.

Naturally ZEN came home...

Q-6

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,234 of 8,232
How did you order it?

Granted, this is Amazon Warehouse, but:

w.JPG

Yeah I had seen stock in Amazon warehouse. It was regular stock that had become available and I had credit I wanted to use, I suspect they are pulling in from German stock as showing available there (but at full €1,199 price)... might explain why taking so long, plus the onwards journey to me in Dublin.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,237 of 8,232
With FEv2 The sound became much more forgiving with improved clarity, image stretches farther, and better bass control. Nice work @MrWalkman.
A small comment, you should set the V2 as Hold button down, I find turning on and off the Hold button whenever I turn on the DAP a bit inconvenient.
[/QUOTE
Sorry, posted wrong information!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,238 of 8,232
How did you order it?

Granted, this is Amazon Warehouse, but:

w.JPG

I seen this on Amazon UK. Is £820 a reasonable price for the Sony WM1A?

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3,239 of 8,232
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,240 of 8,232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back