Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,521 of 8,223
It looks as if Walkman and other personal audio product manufacturing will be moving to Sony's other Malaysian plant, so "Made in Malaysia" isn't going anywhere: source

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,522 of 8,223
Guys,i've a question..maybe two..😂
Why my wm1a bluetooth doesn't work on my decives? don't work on my PC and on my note10,it try to find my walman in bluetooth settings but in see only a ip bluetooth address,and i cannot connect.
And the same thing with NFC connection.
I would like to try the sony app center apk (on my android)to simulate a remote control,but when i put the decives near (note 10 and wm1a) my walkman said "cannot connect,nfc connection Is not compatible ok this device"
Can someone help me?

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,523 of 8,223
Why my wm1a bluetooth doesn't work on my decives? don't work on my PC and on my note10,it try to find my walman in bluetooth settings but in see only a ip bluetooth address,and i cannot connect.
I would like to try the sony app center apk (on my android)to simulate a remote control,but when i put the decives near (note 10 and wm1a) my walkman said "cannot connect,nfc connection Is not compatible ok this device"
Can someone help me?

The Bluetooth and NFC functions are only for connecting to audio devices or for using your Walkman as a Bluetooth audio receiver, not for file transfer or using your phone as a remote control.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #2,524 of 8,223
Can someone help me?
To connect to the Walkman to use it as the receiving device you need to open the BT receiver option on the Walkman and connect through that rather than in the Bluetooth settings. Hope that helps.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,525 of 8,223
It looks as if Walkman and other personal audio product manufacturing will be moving to Sony's other Malaysian plant, so "Made in Malaysia" isn't going anywhere: source
Cause Sony do not want their technology to be copied by China.

Malaysia is safer in that sense.

Those better tech and more expensive ones are still Made in Japan.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,526 of 8,223
You mean the FiiO M11 Pro? I rank that higher than the ZX507. Better dynamics, details and soundstage. Only downside being the size.

Yes. It’s about the same price as the ZX507 and just to add on to your list of “betters” it also has a lot more power. Like 4x as much with a THX circuit as well. I don’t know how it sounds though but it has a lot of features for $700 ish dollars.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #2,528 of 8,223
It isn't a Sony, it runs Android 7, and Fiio software support is 🤔🤔🤔

With the Fiio M11, I am still limited with a LDAC Bluetooth at 660Kbps instead 990Kbs with Sony ... it's takes a huge time to refresh libraries with 1Tb SD ... I just kept it for 2SD available.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #2,529 of 8,223
It isn't a Sony, it runs Android 7, and Fiio software support is 🤔🤔🤔

I don’t know much about Android 7, 8, 9 or Oreo, etc because I’m not an Android user so I don’t know differences. But If it’s stock, clean, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Fiio software support never used it for Sony and judging from this thread Users who like modded firmware don’t use Sony Support either. Haha

The reason for Malaysia is because they have their quality controlled factories there but they do use Chinese factories owned by FoxConn Taiwanese company. I’d also add that now that there is a new US administration a newer TPP trade deal is on the table again. It’s all about supply chains, global demand with guarantee quality control. It will also “box” China by the global community. Not sure how much of an impact it be but it in practice that’s what it is meant to do along with better workers’ right with local jurisdiction enforcement. Time will tell if it’s effective...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/04/biden-would-want-the-us-to-rejoin-tpp-says-harvard-scholar.html

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,530 of 8,223
pretty sure will scale down the production, headphone may transfer to Thailand as earphone is made in Thailand now

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,531 of 8,223
I don’t know much about Android 7, 8, 9 or Oreo, etc because I’m not an Android user so I don’t know differences. But If it’s stock, clean, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Fiio software support never used it for Sony and judging from this thread Users who like modded firmware don’t use Sony Support either. Haha

Problem is, Fiio players tend to spend more time not working properly than actually working as intended. The reason why we don't have to care about Sony support is because it works out of the box and they rarely have to fix any player-breaking bugs. You can go look through the respective threads.

Running an ancient Android version means that streaming services could discontinue support tomorrow and you have no recourse. Never mind the rampant security issues, jankiness, power consumption and missing out on all the performance optimisations that have come with newer Android versions since 7.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #2,532 of 8,223
pretty sure will scale down the production, headphone may transfer to Thailand as earphone is made in Thailand now

The Global Supply Chains are more complex than that basically parts are made all over based on manufacturing but also material used. So a Boeing plane for instance can be “made” in 20 different factories globally making different parts of it and assembled in a HQ factory. The companies deal with distributors and materials all over the world.

Problem is, Fiio players tend to spend more time not working properly than actually working as intended. The reason why we don't have to care about Sony support is because it works out of the box and they rarely have to fix any player-breaking bugs. You can go look through the respective threads.

Running an ancient Android version means that streaming services could discontinue support tomorrow and you have no recourse.

Good to know...but that’s true for all android platforms. I doubt they would discontinue when it’s matter of fewer subscribers. But I get your point and it’s valid and would be a problem if the platforms were run like Apple. Haha

Sony is a multinational huge company it’s software divisions is probably larger than Fiio entire company. Most like it’s way better than Fiio no doubt but it’s not like you are going to do complex stuff on your player. How it runs that’s a different matter. I’m not defending it b/c Hiby has a way better firmware and the R series is nicer. However we were comparing it to Nx507 which itself has issues and Sony does like to cut corners with less power relying on fixed amplifiers and DSP not upgradable to meet more demanding Power hungry headphones so all these products have their limitations...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,533 of 8,223
I will always maintain that there are reasons to buy gear outside of what is stated on the spec sheet. Walkman is a prime example. Android or not, I simply like the heritage, the house sound, the DSP features, the simplicity, the usability and commitment to aftersales service.

The power question becomes moot by choosing gear that's designed to work with it. Every product - especially portable products - have compromises because that's the nature of design and engineering. Our hearing hasn't exactly reduced in gain since 1990 when the average cassette stereo had maybe 5mW of output power from the headphone jack at best.

There are multiple ways to go about the audio hobby. You could go to ASR, look up the best thing, and just buy that. I quickly realised, however, that that wasn't the way I wanted to go.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,534 of 8,223
I will always maintain that there are reasons to buy gear outside of what is stated on the spec sheet. Walkman is a prime example. Android or not, I simply like the heritage, the house sound, the DSP features, the simplicity, the usability and commitment to aftersales service.

All True but I do recall that you wanted people to trash the ZX507 so it would be cheaper on the resale market. (Joking) Haha

But Hiby R8 (not released yet) is pretty bada** on paper and if lives up to hype it’s a special player. I don’t like the 1,900 price tag though.

These are good debates because people can see for themselves the pros and cons. No product is perfect has been my experience!

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,535 of 8,223
I’ll try it and I’m open-minded. I am just skeptical.

If it is as good as you say it is it’s a game changer even with old cables and other things that have oxidized!
Skeptical is good. I am, by nature, both skeptical, and cheap. When I first ran across these oxide cleaners, which were priced like gold, which for a very small bottle, cost many times what a large spray bottle of contact cleaner cost, it did not make any sense to me either. After all, the contact cleaners must work, as that is what they were developed for, and their brochures were very clear on how effective they were. So I bought various spray cleaners, special blue foam tuner sprays, more expensive contact cleaners. They all had some cleaning effect, so I kept going with them.

Then one day, I convinced myself to spend the extra money and get the small bottle of oxide cleaner. Tried it on RCA interconnect cables, speaker connectors, and saw how it removed the layer of glazed oxide on the metal, and left them restored to their original clean metal look. And fixed intermittent connections, cleared a haze from the sound...
Looking back, I had spent much more money, and wasted time, on these ineffective cleaners, than the expensive oxide cleaner would have cost. And even worse, had wasted much time and labor on failed repairs.

After that, my perception of this small 7.4 ml bottle changed. It's strange how perception works.
From a ridiculously expensive small bottle of liquid, it became a priceless bottle of "magic" cleaner that was super cheap for what it could do. And when you realize that this little bottle lasts for many years, as you only need to use so little of it, the cost spread over such a long time, with what it was able to do, makes it one of the best values for money that I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back