Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #2,506 of 8,232
After some longt listening sessions i must say that DMP Final Edition is the best Sony DAP i've ever heard. To be honest it is the best sounding DAP i've ever heard :beyersmile:

But i am wondering how it would compare to a full size desktop amp. Does anyone compared it to some desktop amp/dacs?
My WM1Z is very good with DMP FE, but still listening to DMP-Z1 indoor. Only go outside with WM1Z.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #2,507 of 8,232
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,508 of 8,232
If it’s oxidizes it’s oxidized. I doubt it helps the sound but works because conduction is what makes that sound it but probably cleans of the oxidation which is good.

Rubbering Alcohol 67 cents a bottle. Every technician uses it because its cheap and works. Haha

if it’s oxidized it needs to be replaced. Just think of detachable cables when they oxidize.
Try it before you judge. I think you have prematurely written off/formed an opinion on something that you have no experience with, and have not bothered to try, or investigate further. Don't forget that the scientific method is to keep an open mind, evaluate whether there may be any truth, and prove for yourself.

I have tried all the usual suspects, alcohol, contact cleaners/sprays, etc., on amp volume pots, TV tuners, sim cards, interconnects, etc. Pots on amps would be so noisy that people junked the amp. Regular cleaners improve the noise a little, and then the problem returns, usually quite quickly. Use an oxide remover like Deoxit, and the contact is cleaned permanently. (for years, at least). I've bought, and resurrected with an oxide cleaner, many amps at garage sales. I regularly clean plugs and connectors with it, after first hand experience with how it works.

Also, read the multi thousands of positive comments and recommendations online from the technicians and engineers who swear by it.

So following your method, you would throw away anything with oxidized contacts. Which is fine, as that is one way to resolve the problem.
I would be the guy who buys it for $5, cleans it, and happily continues to use it for many more years. That is a good symbiotic situation.

So as usual, do what you believe in, and makes you happy.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,509 of 8,232
Try it before you judge. I think you have prematurely written off/formed an opinion on something that you have no experience with, and have not bothered to try, or investigate further. Don't forget that the scientific method is to keep an open mind, evaluate whether there may be any truth, and prove for yourself.

I have tried all the usual suspects, alcohol, contact cleaners/sprays, etc., on amp volume pots, TV tuners, sim cards, interconnects, etc. Pots on amps would be so noisy that people junked the amp. Regular cleaners improve the noise a little, and then the problem returns, usually quite quickly. Use an oxide remover like Deoxit, and the contact is cleaned permanently. (for years, at least). I've bought, and resurrected with an oxide cleaner, many amps at garage sales. I regularly clean plugs and connectors with it, after first hand experience with how it works.

Also, read the multi thousands of positive comments and recommendations online from the technicians and engineers who swear by it.

So following your method, you would throw away anything with oxidized contacts. Which is fine, as that is one way to resolve the problem.
I would be the guy who buys it for $5, cleans it, and happily continues to use it for many more years. That is a good symbiotic situation.

Actually, as someone who finds YouTube videos of people repairing vintage equipment relaxing and entertaining (weird I know), I've seen Deoxit restore more volume pots, switches, connectors and other such mechanical bits to perfect factory working condition than I can count. It's kinda impressive really!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2,510 of 8,232
If you ask my personal opinion, Sony has killed the main feature we all love about the Walkman by releasing the android versions. That feature is Ui and responsiveness. Pure music OS made by Sony for the Walkmans. No android crap that is lingering in the background. I would never ever buy an android based dap.

look at the ZX507. Who’s buying them? And they go on sale in flea markets faster than Sony can make them. It’s a failed device for sure.
People in the ZX507 threead be triggered lol

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #2,511 of 8,232
Well, hopefully the more hate the ZX507 gets, the more people will sell them, and the more prices will come down, and then I can pick one up. Works for me :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2,512 of 8,232

I’ll try it and I’m open-minded. I am just skeptical.

If it is as good as you say it is it’s a game changer even with old cables and other things that have oxidized!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #2,513 of 8,232
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,514 of 8,232
Here’s the What Hi Fi review and on Amazon it has a 4 1/2 review http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-walkman-nw-zx507

FOR
  • Tidy, satisfying build
  • Detailed and dynamic sound
  • Rich musical character
AGAINST
  • Nothing so far
For those trashing can you post pics would like to see what it looks like in-person. Trust but verify.
I've heard and demoed the ZX507 extensively and ultimately i think is fine, but could be better. Especially with the midrange being so competitive nowadays.

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #2,516 of 8,232
It really is! I think I’d opt for the F11 Pro for that same or slightly less money but I’d have to hear it first.
You mean the FiiO M11 Pro? I rank that higher than the ZX507. Better dynamics, details and soundstage. Only downside being the size.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #2,517 of 8,232
My WM1Z is very good with DMP FE, but still listening to DMP-Z1 indoor. Only go outside with WM1Z.
Have you compared your WM1Z with Sony's first firmware (NW-WM1_V1_01.exe) installed against your DMP-Z1?
If you have a chance, give it a try and post your opinions here :smile_phones: .

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #2,518 of 8,232
A quality of life improvement I would definitely appreciate is the battery LED blinking when the "Low battery please charge" message appears on the screen. This way you woudn't need to check your screen every now and then when the battery indicator is on the last level. But I guess such a thing would require access to the source code??

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,519 of 8,232
Have you compared your WM1Z with Sony's first firmware (NW-WM1_V1_01.exe) installed against your DMP-Z1?
If you have a chance, give it a try and post your opinions here :smile_phones: .
I had it on WM1Z when it is just released. Definitely DMP-Z1 is better than it in terms of sound stage, bass, treble and the dark background.

DMP-FE have much improved as compared to the first customized firmware. Indeed DMP-FE is already very good, I appreciated Mr.Walkman continue effort on the improvement. But at home I still prefer to listen to DMP-Z1 as the dark background are so amazing.

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,520 of 8,232
FWIW WD40 is generally forbidden to be used on electronic assemblies professionally as it causes more harm than good. WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" its main purpose is as a solvent and or rust dissolver, not a lubricant. WD40 is designed for mechanical assembles, don't spray this into your DAP or contaminate it with WD40 as it can and does degrade some plastics, synthetic materials etc.

Q-6
I make use of Dexoit D100 to clean the contacts of MDR-Z1R once a quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back