Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,476 of 8,226
i am now seriously considering selling my sony ZX507 the android on it is not great plus the battery life is pants..and the sound from the A55 is quite good

Because unlike the A55 it has bluetooth, WiFi antennas and runs a different OS simultaneously. The battery is small. Even though I hate Android, That’s on Sony.

You can shut all off and just use it as a music player and the battery life will be the same as A55. Same internal and probably better ones.

Head Fi is not Amazon if you want it known trash it there. Only 200,000 users on head fi worldwide.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,479 of 8,226
Solis5AE tuning + Region J Amazing!
B36CB98E-4C3D-448F-A221-807335643EB5.jpeg

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #2,480 of 8,226
FE on CN region is a quite remarkable combination to tie in with the MDR-EX1000 running balanced on the WM1A - definitely not one for the bass heads - but for everything else, so clear, open... makes my FiiO FH7 sound thick and syrupy in comparison.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,482 of 8,226
Here’s the What Hi Fi review and on Amazon it has a 4 1/2 review http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-walkman-nw-zx507

FOR
  • Tidy, satisfying build
  • Detailed and dynamic sound
  • Rich musical character
AGAINST
  • Nothing so far
For those trashing can you post pics would like to see what it looks like in-person. Trust but verify.
The kicker for us in Europe is that the crappy volume limit cannot be defeated - maybe it’s fantastic in the ROTW, but from my experience with one of its forefathers (the Z1060), the reduction in volume also gives reduction of dynamics :frowning2:

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,484 of 8,226
Here's a review of A55. This reviewer was sent Mr Walkman’s FE and preferred the stock to it. Also, preferred the A105 over it as well. These things are subjective.

In the video he tried DMP-A50R (non-FE), and he preferred the stock firmware over it. Afterwards, he tried DMP-A50 FE (stock based), and he actually liked it.

When he first tried DMP-A50R (non-FE), the FE version was not released yet.

It's all in the full video.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,485 of 8,226
In the video he tried DMP-A50R (non-FE), and he preferred the stock firmware over it. Afterwards, he tried DMP-A50 FE (stock based), and he actually liked it.

When he first tried DMP-A50R (non-FE), the FE version was not released yet.

It's all in the full video.

and said it was slightly more smoother than the stock but he preferred the A105 over it. Hardly what's posted here about the A105 and your firmware mods being mind-blowing

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,486 of 8,226
and said it was slightly more smoother than the stock but he preferred the A105 over it. Hardly what's posted here about the A105 and your firmware mods being mind-blowing

One mans opinion which he is entiteled to, it is all subjective and personal preferences

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,487 of 8,226

Sure man, I just presented the whole thing that is in the video, and not only "he preferred the stock firmware over FE", which is not actually true.

Also, everyone listens to music differently, and not everyone may notice certain differences. That doesn't mean that the changes are not really as big as some people claim them to be and that this is what should be taken about the changes brought by the custom firmware.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,488 of 8,226
Here's a review of A55. This reviewer was sent Mr Walkman’s FE and preferred the stock to it. Also, preferred the A105 over it as well. These things are subjective.

One mans opinion which he is entiteled to, it is all subjective and personal preferences

I believe I explained this... but it’s become increasingly tribal in this thread with differences of opinion and of thought being targeted. We used to have so many other firmware mods on the old thread until it was suddenly shutdown and all because one guy’s feelings were hurt and they are all gone and not mentioned ever! (Can’t tell you how many people PM-Ed for the SolisAE firmware mod)

Sure man, I just presented the whole thing that is in the video, and not only "he preferred the stock firmware over FE", which is not actually true.

Um yea he did. He preferred the stock settings with the radio and vts surround dsp with your tuning saying it's slightly smoother but preferred the A105.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,489 of 8,226
Um yea he did. He preferred the stock settings with the radio and vts surround dsp with your tuning saying it's slightly smoother

What I meant to say is that he did not simply prefer the stock firmware like it can be understood from your post. He actually preferred DMP-A50 FE, which is a custom firmware, based on the stock one, similar to DMP-WM1 FE for example.

This reviewer was sent Mr Walkman’s FE and preferred the stock to it.

Also, again, people are listening differently, some people are not noticing too many differences between a WM1A and a smartphone for example. It can happen. It doesn't mean that the "worst" opinion is actually the truth about something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back