Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,491 of 8,231
Yesterday the static noise aggravated. First I thought it was the sony kimber cable for MDR-Z1R. But after fiddling with the cable with a fiio adapter I realized it was the wm1A socket.

Seems yo have fixed it for me after 4 years of not cleaning the jack . Spray a bit of wd40 into the headphones plug. Plug into wm1A, rotate the plug, remove the hps, clean with towel, repeat 2 to 4 times.

Walkman must be off completely
If problem persists (will be monitoring the behaviour). I'll need to send then it to @Nayparm for a nice mod & socket swap

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,492 of 8,231
FWIW WD40 is generally forbidden to be used on electronic assemblies professionally as it causes more harm than good. WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" its main purpose is as a solvent and or rust dissolver, not a lubricant. WD40 is designed for mechanical assembles, don't spray this into your DAP or contaminate it with WD40 as it can and does degrade some plastics, synthetic materials etc.

Q-6

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #2,493 of 8,231
FWIW WD40 is generally forbidden to be used on electronic assemblies professionally as it causes more harm than good. WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" its main purpose is as a solvent and or rust dissolver, not a lubricant. WD40 is designed for mechanical assembles, don't spray this into your DAP or contaminate it with WD40 as it can and does degrade some plastics, synthetic materials etc.

Q-6

Good to know. Never knew. It does work wonders for screws that don’t want to come off though. Haha

Use rubbing alcohol to clean the terminals inside the socket. You can put it on a Q tip if that fits in the socket and be gentle or a piece of paper towel. Just make sure not the drench it in rubbing alcohol and again be gentle. It dries pretty quick and should do the trick if it’s just dirty.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,494 of 8,231

Q-6
Agree. Caig Deoxit is highly recommended, and the only oxide cleaner that works. I've used this for many years.
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...=1&keywords=deoxit+red&qid=1607118063&sr=8-18
1607118346215.png
1607118361017.png

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Gold-...Z1F3ZN1G6VT&psc=1&refRID=SR387BCT5Z1F3ZN1G6VT

Red or Gold. Either will do. Red is the general purpose cleaner.

CAIG DeoxIT D100L-25C, Cleaner/Deoxidizer/Rejuvenator/Lubricant/Protectant
WHY is DeoxIT Unique? Ever wonder why electronic or electrical devices have glitches, intermittents or data errors, or wonder how you can prevent this from happening.
ANSWER: Most of the time it is caused by ONE of the thousands of metal connections in the system or device. All electronic connections deteriorate which cause reduced performance or perhaps total failure. Simple contact “cleaners” wash away dirt, dust, and grime, but prove ineffective at removing oxidation and surface sulfides. These tough contaminants actually attach to and become an integral part of the contact metal. This issue causes increased unnecessary service calls for covered repairs that could have been prevented, translating into literally millions of dollars of lost revenue for service organizations. The only true method of eliminating oxidation and surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT products from all other products, putting it in a class by itself. SOLUTION: DeoxIT D-Series

WHY IS DEOXIT DIFFERENT?
Simple contact “cleaners” wash away dirt, dust, and grime, but prove ineffective at removing oxidation and surface sulfides. These tough contaminants become an integral part of the contact metal. The only true method of eliminating oxidation/surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT products from other products, putting it in a class by itself.

WHICH DEOXIT TO USE?
DeoxIT D-Series: General purpose for all metals DeoxIT Gold G-Series: Ideal for gold plated surfaces DeoxIT Shield S-Series: Severe environments DeoxIT Fader F-Series: Conductive plastics

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,495 of 8,231
Agree. Caig Deoxit is highly recommended, and the only oxide cleaner that works. I've used this for many years.
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...=1&keywords=deoxit+red&qid=1607118063&sr=8-18
1607118346215.png1607118361017.png
https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Gold-...Z1F3ZN1G6VT&psc=1&refRID=SR387BCT5Z1F3ZN1G6VT

Red or Gold. Either will do. Red is the general purpose cleaner.

CAIG DeoxIT D100L-25C, Cleaner/Deoxidizer/Rejuvenator/Lubricant/Protectant
WHY is DeoxIT Unique? Ever wonder why electronic or electrical devices have glitches, intermittents or data errors, or wonder how you can prevent this from happening.
ANSWER: Most of the time it is caused by ONE of the thousands of metal connections in the system or device. All electronic connections deteriorate which cause reduced performance or perhaps total failure. Simple contact “cleaners” wash away dirt, dust, and grime, but prove ineffective at removing oxidation and surface sulfides. These tough contaminants actually attach to and become an integral part of the contact metal. This issue causes increased unnecessary service calls for covered repairs that could have been prevented, translating into literally millions of dollars of lost revenue for service organizations. The only true method of eliminating oxidation and surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT products from all other products, putting it in a class by itself. SOLUTION: DeoxIT D-Series

WHY IS DEOXIT DIFFERENT?
Simple contact “cleaners” wash away dirt, dust, and grime, but prove ineffective at removing oxidation and surface sulfides. These tough contaminants become an integral part of the contact metal. The only true method of eliminating oxidation/surface sulfides is by chemical action and reaction. This is one aspect separating DeoxIT products from other products, putting it in a class by itself.

WHICH DEOXIT TO USE?
DeoxIT D-Series: General purpose for all metals DeoxIT Gold G-Series: Ideal for gold plated surfaces DeoxIT Shield S-Series: Severe environments DeoxIT Fader F-Series: Conductive plastics

Yes both highly recommended, have used them both for probably at least 20 years

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,496 of 8,231
WHY IS DEOXIT DIFFERENT?

If it’s oxidizes it’s oxidized. I doubt it helps the sound but works because conduction is what makes that sound it but probably cleans of the oxidation which is good.

Rubbering Alcohol 67 cents a bottle. Every technician uses it because its cheap and works. Haha

if it’s oxidized it needs to be replaced. Just think of detachable cables when they oxidize.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,498 of 8,231
Just curious, do the people using the A50R_FE use the direct source mode primarily? Doing so radically changes the sound in terms of FR and staging which surprised me, and is ultimately louder than when turned off. I have not listened much with direct source as of yet, but I feel like the volume output of the device when it is turned off is less than the equivalent setting (x/120) on the stock FW. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,499 of 8,231
The problem with direct mode on the A50R-FE is that it doesn't handle DSD files at all - actually I'd prefer using it, but it's a drag to remember to change it every time DSD is played, so I just keep it off. What it does is to switch off ALL extra processing and effects and thus it could be considered the "purest" form.

Of course for mobile (BT) usage DSD is useless anyway :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,500 of 8,231
Solis5AE is the best tuning mod for WM1A I have tried also managed to get MrWalkman’s Firmware Modded on it with the better album cover stuff, etc. So glad I got it from the old thread that’s now discontinued. Wayyyyy better than FE tuning by MrWalkman. A whole new experience! It’s awesome! 😯 Thank you MrWalkman for the go ahead on the Solis tuning.
49507FB1-67AD-4329-B6BC-17B1A9154C4D.jpeg

B822A33E-92BB-49B4-8881-BF79B51CC06E.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #2,501 of 8,231
Yesterday the static noise aggravated. First I thought it was the sony kimber cable for MDR-Z1R. But after fiddling with the cable with a fiio adapter I realized it was the wm1A socket.

Seems yo have fixed it for me after 4 years of not cleaning the jack . Spray a bit of wd40 into the headphones plug. Plug into wm1A, rotate the plug, remove the hps, clean with towel, repeat 2 to 4 times.

Walkman must be off completely
I remember once with a past Walkman having the same issue and someone recommended to clean the jack and the output - I only needed to clean the jack to fix it. There are low profile Q-tip/cotton buds that are used for make up that are probably ok to insert to clean the output as they have a tighter bud that are less likely to leave threads behind.
I was thrilled it was something so simple to fix.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,503 of 8,231
Regarding things like Solis, it is a simple modification of the SWUpdate.xml file in the Sony installer package, and not an actually modified firmware per-se.

Feel free to enjoy it anyway, though it's out of the scope of the thread. At least let's differentiate them - we usually called those "tuning mods".

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #2,504 of 8,231
What I meant to say is that he did not simply prefer the stock firmware like it can be understood from your post. He actually preferred DMP-A50 FE, which is a custom firmware, based on the stock one, similar to DMP-WM1 FE for example.

Also, again, people are listening differently, some people are not noticing too many differences between a WM1A and a smartphone for example. It can happen. It doesn't mean that the "worst" opinion is actually the truth about something.
Mr walkman if its possible someday could you bring clearaudio+ and studio surround to 1A firmware? some of us will really enjoy that! , only if its not too much trouble... 3.01 will be the best to do it.. dough i dont relally know whats possible and what isent!

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,505 of 8,231
Mr walkmanif its possible could you bring clearaudio+ and studio surround to 1A firmware? some of us will really enjoy that! , only if its not too much trouble... 3.01 will be the best to do it.. dough i dont relally know whats possible and what isent!

It could be possible, but that would mean something like running the A45/A55 app on the WM1A/Z (losing other WM1 firmware things like the DC Phase Linearizer options, Vinyl Processor options, the WM1 interface, etc.), and I'm not sure about doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back