Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,921 of 8,223
Thanks , got it all downloaded just no unit yet. Do I run each .exe after the other? Or do I need to restart anything after the first one and last?

If you're talking about the firmware itself, you just run both .exe files. You don't necessarily need to do a restart, but feel free to do so if you wish.

Just follow the instructions, nothing less, nothing more - and read the whole page first.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,923 of 8,223
Listening to mostly EDM and techno, I found E to be my favourite with U coming in second. The bass is really good on U but it was a bit too much and consequently the clarity/resolution seems to suffer a bit. MX3 is interesting, the highs/lows are actually a bit nicer than E but the vocals completely ruined it for me, something just sounded off about it and not natural at all. My ideal region would be the MX3's trebles and bass with E's midrange.

J is definitely the most neutral but to my ears it sounded boring. I like a bit of colouring in my sound :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,925 of 8,223
For me also the A40 bass is less controlled where as the A50 has a real nice bass attack that stays in its lane and doesn’t bleed. I do like the A40 dark timbre better though.

It’s been nearly a year since I has the A40 so I can’t really remember the sound and anyways I used it mostly as a ldac source for WH-1000XM3

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,927 of 8,223
DMP-A40 + Region CN
072DE07C-4B54-486B-A8CC-ABC70A8B1602.jpeg

Region CN solves the Bass bleed with DC Phase Linearizer “On” its punchy and controlled. CN also has lots of detailed dark timbre depth (Holy Smokes! :) ) on the A40 with DMP-A40!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,928 of 8,223
By knowing some stuff about how the firmware works, I really recommend restarting the device instead, trust me.

Well, everyone has its own preferences, of course. The best way would be for everyone to experiment and decide for themselves. :)
ok I only had trouble once during very heavy region changing and it fixed but yes once presented an issue by doing that.. (1/100 times) i can confirm

J its more spacious but its recesed may pair well with expensive iems however MX3 its more resolving and on my setup sounds way more engaging... and realistic but certanly J its refined but veiled... depending iem maybe less piercing...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #1,930 of 8,223
ok I only had trouble once during very heavy region changing and it fixed but yes once presented an issue by doing that.. (1/100 times) i can confirm

J its more spacious but its recesed may pair well with expensive iems however MX3 its more resolving and on my setup sounds way more engaging... and realistic but certanly J its refined but veiled... depending iem maybe less piercing...
1A with J pairs extremely well with Cascade headphones and Atlas or Solaris IEM. All using balance OCC silver cables.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,931 of 8,223

Yeah switching back to J from CN it sounds darker, warmer and less detailed

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,932 of 8,223
After switching regions around for a bit I started to doubt if the changes i was "hearing" were placebo.

So i decided to do a randomised region change to see if there really is a noticeable difference.

Capture.PNG

And, I couldn't reliably name which region was which.

Heres how it went
Region -> my guess

J -> CA
E -> J
CA -> J
CN -> CA
MX3 -> CN

So is it just placebo after all? Not entirely. I was listening for detail, warmth and bass. For the first 3, J E and CA bass was similar but when switcing to CN and MX3 i noticed there was more rumble, hence why i mistook CN for CA initially and CN for MX3 subsequently. J i mistook for CA due to its weak and less comtrolled bass coming from CN. E and CA i couldn't really tell what they were so i just threw a wild guess for both. Couldn't reliably hear a difference in detail between all of them due to the song i picked focusing on bass rather than details.

Conclusion? I'm sticking to CN/MX3 for now for their deeper bass and better bass control.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #1,933 of 8,223
So is it just placebo after all? Not entirely. I was listening for detail, warmth and bass. For the first 3, J E and CA bass was similar but when switcing to CN and MX3 i noticed there was more rumble, hence why i mistook CN for CA initially and CN for MX3 subsequently. J i mistook for CA due to its weak and less comtrolled bass coming from CN. E and CA i couldn't really tell what they were so i just threw a wild guess for both. Couldn't reliably hear a difference in detail between all of them due to the song i picked focusing on bass rather than details.

Conclusion? I'm sticking to CN/MX3 for now for their deeper bass and better bass control.
Not really placebo but you would need to hear one Region for a few days with different songs to pick the one you like.

There's a period for you to get use to the tuning. You might able to pick up something you don't like about the tuning.

Listening and comparing a few tunings in a short period of time is tiring.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,934 of 8,223
I haven't explored the regions for a long time - especially after getting the remote - however after seeing the last few posts I just switched back and forth between J and M|X3 - at the expense of remote functionality I think I'll stick with MX3 for a while - it has an energy that J cannot replicate, J, to me - sounds a little grey in comparison.

Edit: CN still gives a lift but includes remote control... happy days

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,935 of 8,223
Not really placebo but you would need to hear one Region for a few days with different songs to pick the one you like.

There's a period for you to get use to the tuning. You might able to pick up something you don't like about the tuning.

Listening and comparing a few tunings in a short period of time is tiring.
Yeah i know, this is similar to experimenting with different dac filters. I use the blind test to see which ones I like, and then try the ones I like for a week or two each to narrow down the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back