Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,951 of 8,232
It plays the audio, but not the Video - my WM 1A is set to J region...

Exactly, I'm pretty sure they intended video support but they scrapped the idea. There is a little reference to it in the firmware as well, but I'm pretty sure it can't be enabled or anything.

Also check the attached PDF, from sonypremiumhome.com, you will find "Video" specs.

Attachments

• NW-WM1A_Specsheet_021517.pdf
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,952 of 8,232
In the CN and some others like J have a folder called “MUSICCLIP” I was thinking of putting in a video and see if it plays on the Walkmans haha

It will play the sound track on some video formats but not the video itself

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,954 of 8,232
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,957 of 8,232
In terms of SQ,how would you define the differences between J & CA? I have CA at present, and enjoy the bold sound.So many people advocate J region, it's kinda sitting on my shoulder nagging.Thanks!

J is a lot more neutral than CA and doesn't have the same bass presence or colouration. The highs, mids, lows are pretty well balanced and nothing really stands out like in CA. Give it a try, but I can say if you enjoyed CA it's definitely worth checking out E, U, and MX3, they all have a similar type of fun sound like CA.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,958 of 8,232
Exactly, I'm pretty sure they intended video support but they scrapped the idea. There is a little reference to it in the firmware as well, but I'm pretty sure it can't be enabled or anything.

Also check the attached PDF, from sonypremiumhome.com, you will find "Video" specs.

Very interesting indeed!

I suppose it's for the best anyway. I can't see why I would have wanted to watch a video on a DAP rather than a smartphone even in 2016, and videos just take up so much space that that would be better used for music :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,959 of 8,232

I said what I said in jest but it would be cool if with a modded firmware to decode more Audio formats like Dolby, multichannel etc but that’s more of wishful thinking than a reality. (I’m sure)

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,960 of 8,232
What ist the minimum length that Sensme works with? Had some songs shorter as 30 seconds and they dont have Sensme data.

It also doesnt do sensMe to DSD files

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,962 of 8,232
In terms of SQ,how would you define the differences between J & CA? I have CA at present, and enjoy the bold sound.So many people advocate J region, it's kinda sitting on my shoulder nagging.Thanks!
J is a lot more neutral than CA and doesn't have the same bass presence or colouration. The highs, mids, lows are pretty well balanced and nothing really stands out like in CA. Give it a try, but I can say if you enjoyed CA it's definitely worth checking out E, U, and MX3, they all have a similar type of fun sound like CA.

My A55 originally comes with region E. I switched to J when I installed FE. Just switched back to E and it's like uplifting a "veil" :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,963 of 8,232

From CA, E, U & MX3 the latter id the best IMO as it doesn't push the highs so much
  • CA Mid bass has a tendency to spill over
  • E Can be piercing with more resolving DAP/IEM/HP
  • U Again if memory serves no BT remote feature, U shaped in comparison to E's V shape
  • MX3 Only real negative is the omission of the BT remote feature and being rather coloured, but that's the point of it :)
  • TW Another that boosts the bass potentially the most to the cost of some detail and staging
  • J remains the most balanced and really shines with the right hardware and for those who have multiple IEM/HP
Bottom line is all the players and regions are coloured with no real absolute neutral. Best thing to do is grab a copy of the Rockbox Destination Tool and see for yourself :) Much also depends on the player as they resolve to differing levels.

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,965 of 8,232
Looks like region discussion are the order of the day again, been a while since we had this phase. Anyway here goes, i love my bass. I’m not a bass head but love deep, full sounding bass and mids. Before the introduction of any of these firmwares, i was rocking out on my original E region and had to use the bass dials to get to my desired listening taste. Then tunings arrived and everyone jumped onto the bandwagon of tinkering with the walkmans and also changing regions where J was always the most talked abut and most popular region. I switched to J then and fast forward 8 months, never looked back. I have tinkered with almost all the regions and even yesterday I tried CA with FE. Sounded ok but after a while the mid bass hump was gettting too much for me and i went back to J and realised why i stayed on it all this while. So, in summary CA gives you a very artificially hyped up bass that gets too much after long listening. You will notice that the bass gets in the way sooner rather than later. J instead gives you a natural feeling of musicality yet not sacrificing the deep and well refined bass on FE. Try it, it’s only 10 seconds to hear the difference and another 10 seconds to change it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back