Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 14, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #1,622 of 8,186
Mr. Walkman,thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.I'll call my IT guy next weekend he'll get it sorted.There'll be a six pack of cervezas on their way to you sometime next week.Thanks again!

Cheers man, and enjoy! :beers:

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,623 of 8,186
Do you think the SQ gap between A40 vs A50 is big enough to justify an upgrade if one already have A40?

It depends. It’s definitely an upgrade cosmetically and sound wise for sure but the margins of it being that much better is a personal one.

It has a slightly wider and better soundstage but the A40 sounds a little more analog.

I’d say if you had to make one upgrade I would focus on getting better headphones but this is just one person’s opinion.

If you find one for like 150-70 (I got mine for 178 new) then maybe it’s worth it. You can always wait and look around for a good deal online otherwise I’d save up for something better like the A105?? that’s like $300+ which is more or less the A50 sound with Android (based on what I read) it may be a better option for you!

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,624 of 8,186
It depends. It’s definitely an upgrade cosmetically and sound wise for sure but the margins of it being that much better is a personal one.

It has a slightly wider and better soundstage but the A40 sounds a little more analog.

I’d say if you had to make one upgrade I would focus on getting better headphones but this is just one person’s opinion.

If you find one for like 150-70 (I got mine for 178 new) then maybe it’s worth it. You can always wait and look around for a good deal online otherwise I’d save up for something better like the A105?? that’s like $300+ which is more or less the A50 sound with Android (based on what I read) it may be a better option for you!

A105 sounds better than the A55 when both are on the stock firmware. However, at least for me, the A105 doesn't sound better than A55 with custom firmware (the unreleased update).

Also, the A105 battery life is horrendous. You basically check the battery now, and then you check it around 3 minutes later, and it's already -1%.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,625 of 8,186
A105 sounds better than the A55 when both are on the stock firmware. However, at least for me, the A105 doesn't sound better than A55 with custom firmware (the unreleased update).

Yea I was going on assumption since I don’t have the A105. Maybe for people who stream a lot and want to use third party apps it maybe a better option or gives them more choice??? I agree the “unreleased” updates make the A55 or even the A45 better especially when dig into the Firmware features like all that DSP and 10 eq options to make it sound even better!

I also heard the Android Os you have to “switch” modes to the Sony firmware to android not sure how that works but doesn’t appeal to me much on its face value! (Pun intended :wink:

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,626 of 8,186
J region also has the high gain function.

The only thing is if you will ever gonna do a full factory reset, the language will be set to Japanese, and you won't be able to change it unless you change the region to another one other than J.

True, the easy solution is just to flip the region pre or post the factory reset, switch to language of choice then flip back to J. Done it several times on my WM1A :)

Q-6

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,627 of 8,186
True, the easy solution is just to flip the region pre or post the factory reset, switch to language of choice then flip back to J. Done it several times on my WM1A :)

Q-6

Yeah, it's pretty easy otherwise as well, as the "Language" option is also shown in English, even if the language is Japanese.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,628 of 8,186
With The Sony Center for PC app is there any way to “Pre-set” some tracks or albums with the 10 eq for playback on the Sony Walkmans??? I remember Apple would allow you to do this with your mp3s on their iPod Classic and iTunes but I’m not it can be done on these Walkmans with the Sony Center for PC App. Does anybody know....

Also there’s seems to a lot of presets for 10 band eq for all music genre in the Sony Center for PC that would be pretty rad to have on a firmware mod but that may be more of “wishful thinking then what is possible. Haha

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,629 of 8,186

One other advantage of the A55 over the A45 is that the A55 support more tracks than the A45. The A45 could only handle about 36-38.000 tracks while the A55 has no problem handling at least 45.000 tracks just like the WM1 players

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,631 of 8,186

thanks you for your recommendation. I bought a used and rather inexpensive A45 just to try and appreciate @MrWalkman work, and hv been more curious for the higher series eversince. And I was tempted to buy and try the A50 just to compare with the A40, but I think it’s better and wiser to save and go with higher zx300 or even take a huge leap to wm1a.

And for A105 I’m not really a fan of android based DAP since my song list is not a fast growing one and dont really need a streaming app. I kinda stuck to old ipod video and Hifiman before just recently I find out about a better sony walkman and this firmware mod.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,632 of 8,186

Also, the A105 battery life is horrendous. You basically check the battery now, and then you check it around 3 minutes later, and it's already -1%.
Really? Have you given the a105 a proper listen as IMO it's really sub-par, granted I just briefly auditioned the a55 a while ago in the store, but don't remember it being as bad as the a105.

I reverted my a35 to stock just to give the a105 a fair comparison but the a105 still sounded worse. The a35 with Reloaded makes the a105 sound like a random smartphone in comparison, that's why I gave it to my father.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,633 of 8,186
Really? Have you given the a105 a proper listen as IMO it's really sub-par, granted I just briefly auditioned the a55 a while ago in the store, but don't remember it being as bad as the a105.

I reverted my a35 to stock just to give the a105 a fair comparison but the a105 still sounded worse. The a35 with Reloaded makes the a105 sound like a random smartphone in comparison, that's why I gave it to my father.

Maybe the A105 sounds better with the later firmware versions or something?

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,634 of 8,186
With The Sony Center for PC app is there any way to “Pre-set” some tracks or albums with the 10 eq for playback on the Sony Walkmans??? I remember Apple would allow you to do this with your mp3s on their iPod Classic and iTunes but I’m not it can be done on these Walkmans with the Sony Center for PC App. Does anybody know....

Also there’s seems to a lot of presets for 10 band eq for all music genre in the Sony Center for PC that would be pretty rad to have on a firmware mod but that may be more of “wishful thinking then what is possible. Haha

Yes look at the properties of each track, there you can preselect the EQ can opt for one of the default's or your own EQ.

Q-6

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,635 of 8,186
Yes look at the properties of each track, there you can preselect the EQ can opt for one of the default's or your own EQ.

Q-6

But he was asking if the Walkman will then use that EQ preset for that track, which I don't think it will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back