Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 13, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,591 of 8,224
That will probably very much depend on what headphone is used. What headphone did you use to get to this curve ?

That’s why I posted it so I can get feedback from others who would be willing to try it and confirm if this tuning sounds good universally or good by most. I've tried some other earphones and it sounds good. But yes you are right it does depend on headphones.

I used Thieaudio Voyager 3 mostly in this tuning and the Tinhifi P1 (Planar)

I also feel when the bass in the eq is lowered in the lower frequency and you apply the DC Phase Linearizer with the right setting makes the bass sound ”felt” rather than ”heard” and bloated IMHO.

This of course doesn't apply to WM1A/Z because the hardware and frequency response is way better!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,592 of 8,224
DMP-WM1 FE (Final Edition)

As the aim is to get the best sound possible, the previous DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II custom
firmware versions are no longer available. DMP-WM1 FE replaces them both.

The name "Final Edition" was chosen instead of simply "DMP-WM1", so people would know that
they have installed this firmware, and not the first version.

Update:
- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals,
and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

Installation:
1. Install DMP-WM1_FE
2. Install DMP-WM1_FE_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FE)
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

When installing DMP-WM1_FE or when installing StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FE), the player
should restart and go into update mode. The update bar on the player's screen should fill up
to the end. Otherwise, you won't be able to install the external tunings.

What should I do if I'm using one of the previous DMP-WM1 custom firmware versions?
1. Revert to stock using the StockRevert of the respective firmware (for example, use StockRevert of DMP-WM1 II if you have DMP-WM1 II installed)
2. Install DMP-WM1 FE
3. Install DMP-WM1 FE Ext. Tuning

You can find the StockRevert for the previous DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II custom firmware versions on the link below.

Download DMP-WM1 FE here.

Feel free to leave your feedback, and enjoy! :)

This Final Edition is your best ever! If this is your ”endgame” well done. :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,593 of 8,224
Nov 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,594 of 8,224
At least sound signature-related, I don't see the need for any changes :)

I've tried both balanced and unbalanced with different headphones and it sounds good on all. Obviously, with everything it may need some minor tweaks with more listening but honestly I don't think that will be the case at all with this tuning. Would probably sound good on the A50/A40/A30 if you decide to put this tuning in them.

It's very nice on WM1A though :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,595 of 8,224
I've tried both balanced and unbalanced with different headphones and it sounds good on all. Obviously, with everything it may need some minor tweaks with more listening but honestly I don't think that will be the case at all with this tuning. Would probably sound good on the A50/A40/A30 if you decide to put this tuning in them.

It's very nice on WM1A though :)

This sound is also on the latest A40/A30 custom firmware. Of course, it doesn't sound exactly as good, due to hardware limitations.

DMP-A50 and A50R will also receive this update.

Especially the WM1 players have come a long way from the stock firmware. I honestly believe the WM1Z with stock firmware can't sound as good as the WM1A with this firmware. I didn't hear the actual WM1Z, so that's where the "believe" comes in. :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,596 of 8,224
At least sound signature-related, I don't see the need for any changes :)

I always get this error message when I tried to do tuning stock revert DMP II (I've previously applied the stock revert successfully). Any ideas what went wrong? Thanks

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,597 of 8,224
I always get this error message when I tried to do tuning stock revert DMP II (I've previously applied the stock revert successfully). Any ideas what went wrong? Thanks

Nothing really goes wrong, this is why you should just ignore it. If the player restarted, then it's all ok.

On the DMP-WM1 FE you won't see that error anymore.

Edit: Playing a little bit. This color would only apply to these icons, not to the whole system.

screenshot_20201114_142019220.png

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,598 of 8,224
Nothing really goes wrong, this is why you should just ignore it. If the player restarted, then it's all ok.

ah ok thanks!

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,599 of 8,224

Edit: Playing a little bit. This color would only apply to these icons, not to the whole system.

screenshot_20201114_142019220.png

Nah totally breaks the gold & black aesthetic. It's these small details that helps the WM1A standout from the crowd. Rather reminds of a vomit pizza inadvertently placed outside the bar...

Sorry, but you know me all too well by now LOL

Q-6

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,600 of 8,224
Nah totally breaks the gold & black aesthetic. It's these small details that helps the WM1A standout from the crowd. Rather reminds of a vomit pizza inadvertently placed outside the bar...

Sorry, but you know me all too well by now LOL

Q-6

Oh, yeah, I realize it doesn't look that good. I was just testing how it looks like. This is based on the same system that Sony uses to ship different color players, the smaller ones, A35/A45/A55 :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,601 of 8,224
Oh, yeah, I realize it doesn't look that good. I was just testing how it looks like. This is based on the same system that Sony uses to ship different color players, the smaller ones, A35/A45/A55 :)
In my opinion, the orange colour would look better over white background. I am not suggesting changing the Walkman app background colour to white, no please, that would burn our retinas when listening at night :)

But sometimes I wonder how would the start up slash screen with the Walkman orange logo would look like with a white background though. Have you tried @MrWalkman, just for laughs and giggles?

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,602 of 8,224
In my opinion, the orange colour would look better over white background. I am not suggesting changing the Walkman app background colour to white, no please, that would burn our retinas when listening at night :)

But sometimes I wonder how would the start up slash screen with the Walkman orange logo would look like with a white background though. Have you tried @MrWalkman, just for laughs and giggles?

Nope, I didn't try white. I just don't think it would look that great. A full white screen at maximum brightness is always hurting my eyes :D

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,603 of 8,224
Nope, I didn't try white. I just don't think it would look that great. A full white screen at maximum brightness is always hurting my eyes :D

It could “work” if you had an option to go into “Night Mode”??? But Black and Gold would probably be universally appealing on any colored external Walkman’s body.

I have the gold version of the A50 and really love the Gold and Black firmware! When I ordered it I thought the gold would be tacky in person but I didn’t want to get the same colored “boring” grey I got on my A40. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. It’s funny because the gold one I’ve notice here in the states is rare to purchase which makes it even more cooler (at least in my own head, haha)

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,604 of 8,224

I would love to have the gold-on-black theme on my A55 :). Sony gave it a beautiful color screen, yet the menus are boring B&W everywhere :frowning2:.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,605 of 8,224
Now please show some love to the ZX300 :) @MrWalkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back