Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,606 of 8,224
Ok, I believe I figured it out the differences between the A40 vs A50 vs WM1A.

So with the WM1A there’s more transient sound which makes the music more natural and 3 dimensional “lifelike.”

The A40 vs the A50 I believe the main difference in the hardware is that the power caps go from 47uf coupling in the A40 to 100uf coupling this helps the bass response remarkably!

Before @MrWalkman firmware which added all the dsp, eq, and tuning the player had reached their ceiling in stock. However, with them in the firmware this gives them more ways to sound better!

The 6 DC Phase Linearizer DSP is simply remarkable. It gives you that rumble bass thats felt rather than heard.

With low frequencies in default I find that the bass gets bloated, bleeds and distorts especially during congestion parts in the music. That’s why (for me) I eq those frequencies down to prevent that from happening and use the DC Phase Linearizer settings (low, standard and high) but this is more like a “bandaide” or a “work around” to make up for the hardware deficiencies

I do think if it were possible to mod the hardware increasing those power caps up to say 220 ufs, you would get very close to the flagship in transients and detail minus the better balanced circuitry on the flagship models. How much I’m not sure but it would make a difference in the lower frequencies for sure that require more VREFs!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,607 of 8,224
This sound is also on the latest A40/A30 custom firmware. Of course, it doesn't sound exactly as good, due to hardware limitations.

DMP-A50 and A50R will also receive this update.

Especially the WM1 players have come a long way from the stock firmware. I honestly believe the WM1Z with stock firmware can't sound as good as the WM1A with this firmware. I didn't hear the actual WM1Z, so that's where the "believe" comes in. :)
Now I’m listening to Teresa Teng DSD/ DSF songs using FE fw. Sounds really good on JBL 305 speakers as well as my car speakers. Very smooth and enjoyable

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,608 of 8,224
Initial review for this FW: its very lush and analogue sounding. Feels like every note is wrapped in warmth, embracing glow. Vocals, instruments, notes, harmony all sounds very natural & emotional. I don't feel any bright glare at all, often associated with Hi-Fi dap. Top notch sound quality, feels like listening to old walkman cassette player, can easily lost in the music for hours. You've outdone yourself, Mr. Walkman and team. Excellent!
Same here, to be honest, my feeling,
MK1 : impressed, the machine's potential is literally "unlocked", the leap forward is like a jailbreak,
MK2 : Better than MK1, but TBH not a big improvement, much like a refinement removing some impurities,
FE : bringing my WM1A and WM1Z to another level, I can say this one is really close to the real DMP-Z1 i tried in Sony store...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #1,609 of 8,224
Ok, I believe I figured it out the differences between the A40 vs A50 vs WM1A.

So with the WM1A there’s more transient sound which makes the music more natural and 3 dimensional “lifelike.”

The A40 vs the A50 I believe the main difference in the hardware is that the power caps go from 47uf coupling in the A40 to 100uf coupling this helps the bass response remarkably!

Before @MrWalkman firmware which added all the dsp, eq, and tuning the player had reached their ceiling in stock. However, with them in the firmware this gives them more ways to sound better!

The 6 DC Phase Linearizer DSP is simply remarkable. It gives you that rumble bass thats felt rather than heard.

With low frequencies in default I find that the bass gets bloated, bleeds and distorts especially during congestion parts in the music. That’s why (for me) I eq those frequencies down to prevent that from happening and use the DC Phase Linearizer settings (low, standard and high) but this is more like a “bandaide” or a “work around” to make up for the hardware deficiencies

I do think if it were possible to mod the hardware increasing those power caps up to say 220 ufs, you would get very close to the flagship in transients and detail minus the better balanced circuitry on the flagship models. How much I’m not sure but it would make a difference in the lower frequencies for sure that require more VREFs!

Do you think the SQ gap between A40 vs A50 is big enough to justify an upgrade if one already have A40?

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,610 of 8,224
This sounds absolutely spot on and bliss with dmp-wm1 fe on 1A with Z5 using kimber 4.4. Nat’s voice is appearing front row and centre. Instruments are crystal clear. I had goosebumps Out of this world @MrWalkman
D7F0BF3C-D3B7-4203-B2B3-5DDD27AA2D54.jpeg
I

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #1,611 of 8,224
Hi - I have both the WM1a & the WM1z.The 1a has firmware 3.01,sounds great but lacks weight, fullness.The 1z has firmware 3.02,sounds much fuller but with "splashy" treble on some tracks.I really like what Sony have done with these machines,in terms of versatility of application, etc..I'm in the EU,so the dreaded volume cap was an issue.I only have a MacBook,plus I don't trust my PC abilities.I called out a local IT guy, who used the Rockbox tool,all is now well.I asked him to change the region to Canada,because of the High Gain function.Head fi people seem to favour Japan,does it have the High Gain function? I use Atlas and Xelento on balanced, the added juice seems to favour DD iems.I was unable to transfer artwork from my Mac to the Sandisk SD cards. I also have a TA - ZH1es,which with a cradle and active speakers provide a really good and adaptable system
I really like what I'm hearing about Mr.Walkman's latest firmware.FE,as in end game, really is what I'm looking for. Could this be the silver bullet? Thanks!

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,612 of 8,224
J region also has the high gain function.

The only thing is if you will ever gonna do a full factory reset, the language will be set to Japanese, and you won't be able to change it unless you change the region to another one other than J.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,613 of 8,224
J region also has the high gain function.

The only thing is if you will ever gonna do a full factory reset, the language will be set to Japanese, and you won't be able to change it unless you change the region to another one other than J.

Didn't know that.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,614 of 8,224
Didn't know that.

Yes J by default only support Japanese and no way to change it, but when using the RockBox tool to change region to J it maintains the previous language

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #1,615 of 8,224
Yes J by default only support Japanese and no way to change it, but when using the RockBox tool to change region to J it maintains the previous language

So you go to something like “U” then back to “J” for Japan in English?

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #1,616 of 8,224
I installed this morning but I've just had a chance to run through my usual test tracks with the new firmware and it is awesome. I struggle to put my finger on exacts details and come up with words to describe what I'm hearing but the overall experience is really impressive and for me the best of your firmwares - thank you again for your time and efforts @MrWalkman

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,617 of 8,224
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,618 of 8,224
So you go to something like “U” then back to “J” for Japan in English?

Yes if you do a full reset while in J you must use RockBox tool to go to another region and then find your way through the Japanese menus to change language back to English and then use RockBox tool to change region back to J. Or use RockBox tool to change away from J before doing the full reset

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,619 of 8,224
OK,region settings are a preference setting, in terms of SQ. The sound improvements on the FE firmware are definitive.I was unable to transfer artwork to the SD cards on the Sony players. Does this change things? " progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported" Thanks!

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #1,620 of 8,224
I was unable to transfer artwork to the SD cards on the Sony players. Does this change things? " progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported" Thanks!

Yep - so with the stock firmware, only certain types of JPG and PNG images will be shown as artwork, but with this firmware all types of JPG and PNG images will be shown.

You can have the artwork attached to the song itself, or you can place an image in a folder and all songs in that folder will have that image being shown. In this case, the image must have the same name as the folder in which you put it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back