Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #106 of 8,329
I really did want to get the DMP-Z1. It’s too much, man. Even after having the money, logic says for what’s the point? Just for that so called “5 to 10%” off my TA-ZH1ES with the cradle or maybe even less than that with this new CFW? People have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to “achieve” perfection. I don’t wanna fall into that abyss when the money can give me cans to choose that can still provide a different sound regardless of the source.
Same. In fact that is why I took a 9 month break from head-fi. I was becoming desensitised to the high asking prices of audio equipment to the point that $1000 was a reasonable price for a pair of iems.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #107 of 8,329
I really did want to get the DMP-Z1. It’s too much, man. Even after having the money, logic says for what’s the point? Just for that so called “5 to 10%” off my TA-ZH1ES with the cradle or maybe even less than that with this new CFW? People have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to “achieve” perfection. I don’t wanna fall into that abyss when the money can give me cans to choose that can still provide a different sound regardless of the source.
It isa hell of a lot more than 5-10%
it is in a league of it's own, at least to my ears.
But yeah 8K is a big chunk of change.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #108 of 8,329
I’ve listened to it for over 11 hours. That’s what my ears feel. I’m ok with disagreeing

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #109 of 8,329
Thats the price you pay to get the best. Happens in every industry.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #110 of 8,329
I’ve listened to it for over 11 hours. That’s what my ears feel. I’m ok with disagreeing
Must be the gear. I used planars, and it was quite something.
But then again, I listened to it a while ago, I was very impressed to say the least.

I just spent 2K on rebuilding my amplifiers (Amongst other things), hoping to take a long break from Head-fi.....Much easier on the pocket :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #111 of 8,329

10K is a bunch of headphone/IEM Christmas packages.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #112 of 8,329
Oct 2, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #113 of 8,329
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-studio-sa6.24665/reviews#item-review-24391
Yup. I hear the DUNU SA6 knocking. Gotta try it with the modded 1Z someday

1079B20B-DC73-4833-8E60-CB04B972EB82.jpeg

Further Notes On Soundstage Sound Character:
It’s a fact that while the SA6 soundstage is not the biggest in IEM land.....there is a rewarding quality about it that makes it seem way bigger than it is. Such a phenomenon will also not spread out a display way high, low......front or back; though you are not going to hear any complaints about it. Why? Because of the unique separation that just goes to outline and fill-in the imaging. The fact that we don’t have a background upper midrange backdrop but are left with a black clarity for cymbals and small quick tiny taps to sparkle and twinkle till they fade-away. It’s these little details which are enchanting and can be missed.

To land back grounded here, it’s noted that there can be somewhat of a tight congestion (mid-soundstage) within this tightness which other (more expensive) IEMs separate and delineate. So our landscape is very much like looking out across a panorama with noted thunder reverberations in the outer distance. It’s placement is probably very near, yet never feels like a wrongful vignette. Only upon comparisons would someone know that there is a slight myopic perspective at work in this display. Depending on the mix, this place can be a remembered and missed local, where the owner will want to find songs and find the SA6 to teleport back to.

At any rate, that far-off thunder in the distance and twinkle-cymbals up in-front can generate a thickness which ends up quite the illusion of reality. Of course matching song files and players will tailor the experience in character. In ending; true attempts of soundstaging and positioning seem to be parallel to what the music producer wanted? The fact that while not the biggest IEM soundstage exists, there is absolutely nothing created or subtracted here. An afternoon changing songs will attest to this clarity of placement, finding it purely created by the song file.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #114 of 8,329
By the way, I modified the changing of the model to DMP-Z1 part, in order to prevent the issue with trying to install the DMP-WM1 Ext. Tuning that it would not work (device not being detected).

After first installing DMP-WM1, the player will boot up, and then it will quickly automatically restart while booting up, to ensure that the model is changed to DMP-Z1.

So it all should be fine now. I updated the download link on the site.
nice. i treid something. I'm already on the dmp-z1 mod and i tried installing your updated installer again and it gave me a usb device not found error.so it means you have to be on a different model, either 1a or 1z for it to work?

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #115 of 8,329
You need to be on 1A/1Z for it to work.

If you already have installed, then you don't need to install it again.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #116 of 8,329
Must be the gear. I used planars, and it was quite something.
But then again, I listened to it a while ago, I was very impressed to say the least.

I just spent 2.5K on rebuilding my amplifiers (Among other things), hoping to take a long break from Head-fi.....Much easier on the pocket :)
Nah percentages just don't work when talking about audio gear period. Thats why i prefer sorting them by tier.

Here's my Dap ranking (purely by SQ)

H denoting holographic soundstage (H>H>h)
Summit-fi
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------DMP-Z1 (H)
--------------------N8
High-end----------Sp1000 (H) || Paw Gold Touch (h)
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------Sp1000m (h)
--------------------N6ii (with Ti and Sabre modules) || DX220 (with Amp 9)
Upper midrange--M11 Pro (H) || DX220 (with all other Amp modules) || SE100 || WM1A/Z
--------------------R6 Pro || N6ii (stock module) || ZX507
--------------------R6 SS || DX160 (lurker mango OS) (h)
--------------------DX160
--------------------
Midrange---------M11 || N5ii || R6
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------M9 || DX150 (stock)
--------------------R5
Budget------------M6 || M7
--------------------N3 || A35

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #117 of 8,329
You need to be on 1A/1Z for it to work.

If you already have installed, then you don't need to install it again.
I know. Just giving some feedback in case anyone else tried to do it.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #118 of 8,329

I was in the same position not so long ago, thinking perhaps I should get the DMP. But then I thought better to spend on different IEMs to get different flavour.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #119 of 8,329
I was in the same position not so long ago, thinking perhaps I should get the DMP. But then I thought better to spend on different IEMs to get different flavour.
There's a reason why chi-fi is so popular. Decent sounding iems with all sorts of tunings for a very low price

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #120 of 8,329
Nah percentages just don't work when talking about audio gear period. Thats why i prefer sorting them by tier.

Here's my Dap ranking (purely by SQ)

H denoting holographic soundstage (H>H>h)
Summit-fi
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------DMP-Z1 (H)
--------------------N8
High-end----------Sp1000 (H) || Paw Gold Touch (h)
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------Sp1000m (h)
--------------------N6ii (with Ti and Sabre modules) || DX220 (with Amp 9)
Upper midrange--M11 Pro (H) || DX220 (with all other Amp modules) || SE100 || WM1A/Z
--------------------R6 Pro || N6ii (stock module) || ZX507
--------------------R6 SS || DX160 (lurker mango OS) (h)
--------------------DX160
--------------------
Midrange---------M11 || N5ii || R6
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------M9 || DX150 (stock)
--------------------R5
Budget------------M6 || M7
--------------------N3 || A35

That's nice to know, I was guessing as such. Scary good here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back