Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #91 of 8,329
I also think the bass is perfect, the amount of detail generated for all frequencies with that soundstage is frankly staggering. I still need some time to get used to so much information hitting me all at once...

Is Dmp-z1 talking to you via new fw 😁
Can you feel the ultra waves from your headphones 😛

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #92 of 8,329
Regarding the bass, I still hear it there, and it slams really deep and good.

Maybe it also depends on the gear, but I think it's perfect as is. :)

Give it a longer listening, to get used to this new sound signature for our 1A/1Z. I am also using the J region by the way.

No no! Of course! I AM using very low bass IEMs. That’s why today MR.Reality.......the IER-Z1R will be arriving shortly. My normal routine is IEMs on the thin side of life, then I get bass fortifications from the firmware.

Edit:
I turned the unit off then on and all is well now in bass land? Thank-you!

Sorry for the confusion?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #93 of 8,329
You are always on 1a right?
I for instance went back to E region. Even after 2 years being forced and enprisoned with it on 1z and hating it!
Hilariously on 1a I love it !

E in comparison to other regions has a special bass response its not a typical bass texture, there is a slight fun deep grooves in it.

Same goes for treble its slightly sharper but On my noirs it's perfect. It has a nice tone to it a little quicker and very playfull.

Vocals are clear and loud.

Wonder what E + dmp-wm1- z1 will do

Yep, I only own a WM1A, and A45 and A55.

I didn't really experiment with changing regions. Will see :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #94 of 8,329
Wait for sony to read this 😅

Yes.........then of these will get DHLed to MrWalkman’s laboratory with flowers and a box of chocolates. :)

CA94C41C-AEF9-4AD7-91F0-17D673AD1274.jpeg

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #96 of 8,329
Yep, it's gonna come, and same for A30/A40/A50.
Even to the A30s? Wow is an understatement.

But wouldn't that mean the DMP-Z1's amazing sound quality was from its software after all?

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #97 of 8,329

But wouldn't that mean the DMP-Z1's amazing sound quality was from its software after all?
Hence why I’ll do a comparison tomorrow to understand the whole thing. IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R will be my test mules

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #98 of 8,329

Yep, even for A30s. Of course, the hardware will still play a role in the end result, and not just in the case of the A30.

I also think it would be wisest to just enjoy what we have and to not start asking too many questions. Nothing could happen, but if something would happen, it may not be beneficial for anyone. Just saying :)

Hence why I’ll do a comparison tomorrow to understand the whole thing. IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R will be my test mules

Looking forward to it! I don't expect it to be a 100% match, but the resemblance should be there.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #99 of 8,329
Nothing could happen, but if something would happen, it may not be beneficial for anyone. Just saying :)
Ah, I take it you mean DMP-Z1 buyers and possibly Sony as well?

Looking forward to it! I don't expect it to be a 100% match, but the resemblance should be there.
Just give me the soundstage and I'd be over the moon :beerchug:

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #100 of 8,329
By the way, I fixed the changin

Even for us - we were not supposed to be able to do/have this, right? :)

As I said, the hardware surely matters for the end result, so I'm sure that the DMP-Z1 is still something of its own.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #102 of 8,329
Is there a favorite region for DMP-WM1?

I don't think so. It just happens that I'm using J, so I guess you can feel free to experiment.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #103 of 8,329
By the way, I modified the changing of the model to DMP-Z1 part, in order to prevent the issue with trying to install the DMP-WM1 Ext. Tuning that it would not work (device not being detected).

After first installing DMP-WM1, the player will boot up, and then it will quickly automatically restart while booting up, to ensure that the model is changed to DMP-Z1.

So it all should be fine now. I updated the download link on the site.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #104 of 8,329
G
By the way, I modified the changing of the model to DMP-Z1 part, in order to prevent the issue with trying to install the DMP-WM1 Ext. Tuning that it would not work (device not being detected).

After first installing DMP-WM1, the player will boot up, and then it will quickly automatically restart while booting up, to ensure that the model is changed to DMP-Z1.

So it all should be fine now. I updated the download link on the site.
Great work !
Thank you MrWalkman :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #105 of 8,329

Just give me the soundstage and I'd be over the moon :beerchug:
I really did want to get the DMP-Z1. It’s too much, man. Even after having the money, logic says for what’s the point? Just for that so called “5 to 10%” off my TA-ZH1ES with the cradle or maybe even less than that with this new CFW? People have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to “achieve” perfection. I don’t wanna fall into that abyss when the money can give me cans to choose that can still provide a different sound regardless of the source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back