Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,036 of 8,256
Ok, it's here:

DMP-WM1 II

Features:
- sound signature resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output (available only for the 4.4 mm balanced port on the stock firmware)
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

Differences between the sound of DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II are a more full, smooth, and natural sound. The
soundstage is a bit less wide at first hearing, but it's taller, creating a more 3D effect. The texture of the bass can
also be heard more easily. I'll leave the rest for you to find out :)

Installation:
1. Install DMP-WM1 MK2, and then close the installer
2. After that, install DMP-WM1_MK2_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert (DMP-WM1 MK2), and then close the installer
2. After that, install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player

When installing DMP-WM1 MK2 or when installing StockRevert (DMP-WM1 MK2),
the player should restart and go into update mode. The update bar should
fill up to the end. Otherwise, you won't be able to install the external
tunings.

The firmware is available here.

Feel free to give it a try and share your thoughts. And most importantly, enjoy! :)
Happiness comes suddenly! Thank you friend for all the work done!

in a hurry to try as soon as possible.

By the way, if you have DMP-WM1 installed, you will first need to use the StockRevert of DMP-WM1. Otherwise, you won't be able to install DMP-WM1 II.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,037 of 8,256
Ok, it's here:

DMP-WM1 II

Features:
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output (available only for the 4.4 mm balanced port on the stock firmware)

Differences between the sound of DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II are a more full, smooth, and natural sound. The
soundstage is a bit less wide at first hearing, but it's taller, creating a more 3D effect. The texture of the bass can

Installation:
3. Restart the player

3. Restart the player

tunings.

Feel free to give it a try and share your thoughts. And most importantly, enjoy! :)

The obvious question: can MK2 be installed over MK1 or do you have to go back to stock before installing MK2 ?

Edit: answered while I was asking

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #1,038 of 8,256
The obvious question: can MK2 be installed over MK1 or do you have to go back to stock before installing MK2 ?

Edit: answered while I was asking

Nothing can be installed while MK1 or MK2 is installed, except their specific StockRevert packages.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,039 of 8,256
Nothing can be installed while MK1 or MK2 is installed, except their specific StockRevert packages.

I assume that is because the model has been changed to DMP and nothing expects to see that ?

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,041 of 8,256
I assume that is because the model has been changed to DMP and nothing expects to see that ?

That's something, but not only because of that.

Lol and I just installed the other version. Do I have to revert to stock to download this?

Yes, it's pretty simple, just run the StockRevert that you downloaded with DMP-WM1. Mentioning this because you can't use StockRevert of DMP-WM1 II instead of StockRevert of DMP-WM1 or viceversa.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,043 of 8,256
Ok, it's here:

DMP-WM1 II

Features:

Installation:
3. Restart the player

3. Restart the player

tunings.

By the way, if you have DMP-WM1 installed, you will first need to use the StockRevert of DMP-WM1. Otherwise, you won't be able to install DMP-WM1 II.
woohoo just downloaded. I had your site on refresh before I saw and then came here haha. I felt like a junkie waiting for his fix, lol
Time to install..
:) :) :)

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #1,044 of 8,256
IMG_20201025_233207.jpg
IMG_20201025_233148.jpg

Well, thanks a lot @MrWalkman !! Sound is scary holographic, good night !!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,045 of 8,256
During the burn in process of does it matter which file formats are played?
Because of those clicks as it changes relays/circuits with different files/bit rates I was wondering if it meant different components were used and burnt in and others not?

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,047 of 8,256
Hi Mr.Walkman. I can't revert to stock (with StockRevert package provided) nor intsall the MK II. Seem like my WM1A can't be recognised. Any idea to fix this? Thanks in advance..

Sure, do you see "DMP-Z1" in the Unit information menu? I would also try seeing if Microsoft Defender has anything to do with it (by temporarily disabling it).

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,048 of 8,256
Sure, do you see "DMP-Z1" in the Unit information menu? I would also try seeing if Microsoft Defender has anything to do with it (by temporarily disabling it).
I installed the StockRevert and the 1A rebooted. Then I tried to load stocking tuning then player is not recognised.

Yes, It's DMP-Z1 in Unit Information.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,049 of 8,256
I installed the StockRevert and the 1A rebooted. Then I tried to load stocking tuning then player is not recognised.

Yes, It's DMP-Z1 in Unit Information.

If you still see DMP-Z1, then it means that StockRevert did not install successfully somehow. Try installing it again.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,050 of 8,256

Yes, I managed to figure it out in the process) Thank you!

And a remark.
I have often encountered a problem with the message that your device is not connected. You need this message to be active and the player remains connected to the computer. Then it is automatically picked up and proceeds to the installation stage after restarting the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back